Cape Cod times 10-3-2008

That was my first guess, and old Crossman.

3157PCQYYNL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

That was my instant first thought. I picked that up new in 1985 at a sporting goods store in down town crossing for $37...

But what's up with the bore. I remember it being...oh, about .177 or so.

Even breaking every state and federal records privacy law or regulation, this simple fact is that neither they nor anybody else can find out who has or doesn't have guns. An LTC or FID only indicates that someone can legally own guns, not that they actually have any. In the same way, absence of an LTC or FID only means that any guns a person might possess are not possessed legally. A gun listed as being possessed by someone in the FRB database means that the person possessed the gun once-upon-a-time, not necessarily that they do now. And of course, neither illegally possessed guns, those some of us brought with us when we moved here, nor those registered before the great records purge are included. Finally, even assuming some people's suspicions regarding illegal retention of NICS data and collection of dealer records, the fact is that private sales, both legal and illegal, never generated a single slip of paper or electronic record anywhere.

Years ago, my local newspaper published a list of the FFL's in the area. Don't know how the got it then, but it's all on a website now. Remember that lists of LTC holders were published in some paper, can't remember where, not too long ago. Jack.

An FFL is a Federal license and public information. Ditto for the commercial firearms/ammo sales license from the state. Moreover, as a commercial location is required, it would hardly be a secret.

I find it hard to believe that a list of MA firearms license holders was published, however.

We need to run a counter story to that one. Something along the lines of "Now that you know what people own guns, you know which houses are easy targets for burglery" would be great.

Don't you mean aren't?

WOW. I'm a Cape Coddah and I'll definitely be picking up Sunday's rag.
I also know 2 people that work at the Times and I'll be in touch with them.

You might think that a printed list like this would open you up to burglary, but I would think it would deter it. Especially if there's a big-ass dog in the house!!

even though I am in NH, this type of thing is the reason I never applied for a CCW permit or bought any gun from a FFL.

For what I use my guns for, home protection and range time at MFL, I don't need to be in someones data base.

Legal and under the radar works for me.

I would find it a lot more helpfull if they published the names of people with herpies or another ailment that could really hurt someone if they didn't know. How about people that lapse in auto insurance, or people that are behind on bills, or bounce checks. We should make suggestions to the editors like this and see where it goes, "We Want To Know!!" I have no problem having a class A, but how would the paper react if you had to defend your home or person because someone used that info.

Something similar was done in FL a few years ago to good effect.

Paper published ALL CCW holders in the County, with name, address and DOB! Some folks protested and they said, TS it's public info (since corrected). So they published the info on the editor, publisher and author of the article. Lots of letters, phone calls, etc. and they started to see some "light".

Eventually the state changed the law and the info is now no longer public.

First, "they" cannot "find out." Firearms records are statutorily excluded from public records. Ask the Globe.

Second, what the heck is that guy shooting? Looks like someone photoshopped a Thompson Contender forend on a Ruger Mk. whatever.

Looks like an old Crossman pellet pistol.

Sorry Raoul Duke beat me to it.

Last edited:
The Cape Cod Times is a liberal P.O.S. rag of a newspaper. They do not know what it is like to report news.

I am sure the point of the article will be about the fact that they cannot find out who the legal gun owners on the cape are and that they think they should be able to know.

You guys are always so paranoid and pessimistic. Why not read the headline again?? It says "Who has guns on Cape Cod and how you can find out." As if they are treating gun owners as sex offenders.

Maybe its saying, "Who has guns on Cape Cod and how you can find out?" In other words, they are gonna publish a list of FFLs so Cape Cod can get armed! They want to make it easier for the good folks on Cape Cod, like Ted Kennedy, to find his local gun shop and do some business to boost the ailing economy!

Last edited:
You guys are always so paranoid and pessimistic. Why not read the headline again?? It says "Who has guns on Cape Cod and how you can find out." As if they are treating gun owners as sex offenders.

Maybe its saying, "Who has guns on Cape Cod and how you can find out?" In other words, they are gonna publish a list of FFLs so Cape Cod can get armed! They want to make it easier for the good folks on Cape Cod, like Ted Kennedy, to find his local gun shop and do some business to boost the ailing economy!

Not holding my breath on that one.

The Cape Cod Times is a liberal P.O.S. rag of a newspaper. They do not know what it is like to report news.

I am sure the point of the article will be about the fact that they cannot find out who the legal gun owners on the cape are and that they think they should be able to know.

Could not have described the "News" paper better.

Having dealt with them in my past life and having been subjected to them being the only daily on this Island, My take is this.

They will show a local range somewhere with interviews from at least two members of the Bass River BOD. They will then show a group of street kids at the mall and tell all their readers how any one of those kids could be carrying a firearm because they are so easy to get.

No one contributing to the story as staff will have tried a firearm and no one will have taken the time to check out the actual licensing procedure and the statutory consequences for not being licensed.

I would wager an educated guess they are following up on the recent illegal "Arsenal" confiscated with the excessive amount of ammunition (1,000 rounds [rolleyes]) and will have spent at least 10 minutes at the public range in Barnstable taking pictures.

Let's see how far off I am [wink]

The teaser headline seems to be a rhetorical question.
1)Who owns guns on Cape Cod? They'll list the towns with numbers.
2)How can you find out who? You can't, it's not public information.

It will be a fear mongering article. I don't visit the Cape,and I couldn't care less about the Cape. If someday I get the urge to see a couple guys sodomizing each other at the beach, maybe I'll take a ride down there. There's no such thing as journalism anymore, especially in the local mAss news.

even though I am in NH, this type of thing is the reason I never applied for a CCW permit or bought any gun from a FFL.

For what I use my guns for, home protection and range time at MFL, I don't need to be in someones data base.

Legal and under the radar works for me.
Ah, so you only open carry, then.

That should be under Suzy Soccermom's radar. [rolleyes]

Yeah, I mean you just cannot go anywhere on the Cape without seeing that.[rolleyes]

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080613/NEWS/806130324

Park officials target sex in the dunes
Text Size: A | A | A
Print this ArticlePrint this Article Email this ArticleEmail this Article

By Mary Ann Bragg
[email protected]
June 13, 2008

PROVINCETOWN — It's a slow week in the northern territory of the Cape Cod National Seashore when a man with a yellow towel flashing passers-by is the sole complaint about public sex acts.

In the past decade, the number of complaints about explicit, open public sex in the Provincetown and Truro portions of the national park has more than tripled, Seashore acting chief ranger Craig Thatcher said. The activity ranges from flashing to masturbation to men's outdoor orgies, he said.
NORTHERN EXPOSURE

Disorderly conduct citations for public sex acts in the northern district of the Cape Cod National Seashore (Provincetown and Truro):

This summer, federal authorities are introducing a new tactic to discourage debauchery in the dunes: pairing up with local officials and business leaders to try to persuade culprits to behave better through public education.

"It's a growing issue, both from the number of complaints and the number of areas doing this activity," Seashore superintendent George Price said. "We certainly wanted to start a conversation with the people in Provincetown to see how we can tackle this together."

Leap in citations

The Seashore's 44,000 acres are divided into two districts, with the northern sector covering parts of Provincetown and Truro, including about 20 miles of coastline.

Public sexual activity is illegal in the Seashore under federal and state law, Thatcher said. He said in incidents of public sex rangers usually enforce a federal misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct, which prohibits obscene acts. The misdemeanor charge can result in a $150 citation, with a $25 court fee, for an outdoor violation. An indoor violation, as in a bathhouse, requires a court appearance before a federal magistrate.

Last year, Seashore rangers issued 132 citations for public sex acts, compared with about 70 annually from 2003 to 2006, and about 40 citations annually in prior years, Thatcher said. The Seashore does not specifically track and categorize complaints about public sex acts, he said.

There has been no increased law enforcement that could explain the soaring number of citations issued, Thatcher said. The Seashore will employ four permanent rangers and nine seasonal rangers this summer, he said.

An example of the complaints was a call reporting Wednesday that a 65- to 70-year-old man was flashing people at Herring Cove Beach, according to Seashore records.

In a Sept. 19, 2007, letter, a New Jersey family walking with children in the dunes encountered "several couples and then a large group of men having group sex in the nude, including oral and anal sex right out in the open."

In an August 2007 letter, a whale-watch boat captain leaving Provincetown Harbor with passengers reported seeing 20 to 30 nude men "playing around" near Wood End Lighthouse.

Other complaints describe Seashore visitors encountering public sex acts at Head of the Meadow Beach in North Truro and near a Seashore building off North Pamet Road in Truro.

Request for discretion

The Seashore does not release the names of the people making complaints, to protect their privacy, Thatcher said.

Provincetown has a relatively large gay resident population and is a popular destination for gay tourists.

"It's not acceptable, decent, moral behavior," said Province-

town Police Chief Jeff Jaran, whose department assists Seashore rangers. "There is a time to be discreet, and there are places to go and do those types of things."

Jaran said he supports a combination of "zero-tolerance" law enforcement and public education.

Last week, Seashore officials discussed the illegal activity with local officials and representatives of the town's two business groups, the Provincetown Chamber of Commerce and the Provincetown Business Guild. To build on that meeting, Price is drafting a statement to address the issue that all the attendees will sign and distribute to business owners, tourists, newspapers and others, Price and business guild spokesman Don Knuuttila said.

"I think it's really about developing a collaborative relationship where we can help each other," Knuuttila said. "It's about a unified front."

Anyway, the Cape Cod times is maligning people who are engaged in a lawful and positive activity such as firarms ownership while they write in a lighthearted way,

"This summer, federal authorities are introducing a new tactic to discourage debauchery in the dunes: pairing up with local officials and business leaders to try to persuade culprits to behave better through public education."

Debauchery in the dunes. Culprits. They need to persuade "culprits" with public education because they don't know that naked sex orgies on a national beach are inappropriate.

They want me to be named because I own a firearm, but public sodomy on a national seashore gets a disorderly conduct citation. I thought that public exposure gets you an entry in the sex offender's registry.

Screw the Cape Cod Times. The Cape is no better or worse than anywhere else. There are other places to visit.

A paper in Richmond, VA published the names of permit holders a while ago. As I recall, things didn't go too well for the columnist and editor once their personal information was posted in virtually every gun forum on the Internet.

You think Zumbo got a lot of emails? It was worse for the Richmond crew.

Last edited:
Compiling a list of FFLs is easy.
If you have a single FFL number, the ATF will allow you download the entire FFL list from their website. I wrote a system for a couple of FFL holders that downloads the entire database daily at about 2AM.

Here it is!![rolleyes]

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081005/NEWS/810050333

By George Brennan
[email protected]
October 05, 2008
Kenneth Webster Jr. was able to walk into a Maine gun shop with his driver's license and legally purchase the arsenal he gathered at his property in Marstons Mills, according to police. Webster likely walked out of the gun shop with a weapon, a safety brochure and no questions asked.

It turned into a crime when he crossed the state line without a valid license to carry and stashed them at his remote property off Route 28 in Marstons Mills, Barnstable Police Sgt. John Murphy said. But that crime went undetected until police were asked in July to serve him with a restraining order sought by his estranged wife. They found more than 50 unlicensed firearms and other weapons.

"In my opinion, part of the biggest issue is the lack of uniformity in gun laws and what it takes to legally purchase a firearm," Murphy said. "It's been fairly well documented through cases in this department that a lot of guns are purchased legally in other states and transported to Massachusetts."

Webster, 44, was released on $50,000 cash bail posted Sept. 29 by his mother. He is scheduled to appear for a pretrial conference Nov. 19.

At his mother and father's home in Marstons Mills Friday, Webster answered the door wearing jeans, a shirt with several buttons undone at the top and headphones. Stepping outside, he said he would welcome the opportunity to set the record straight about the cache of weapons police confiscated from his property.

"I'm not the evil person I've been portrayed to be," he said, still wearing a wrist bracelet ID from his stint in the Barnstable County House of Correction. The bracelet included his mug shot.

"This has been hard on other people," he said referring to his parents. "I'm not going to talk without clearing it with them first."

An hour later, the drapes were drawn, the front door closed and Webster's father answered the door. "We have nothing to say at this time," he said.

Guns and drugs
The Webster case raises questions about just how many illegal guns there may be on the streets of Cape Cod and if there are any other secret stashes. And while there's no way to know for sure, police are certain that such stashes are on the rise with a large percentage of those weapons seized in drug-related arrests, Murphy said.

"They go hand-in-hand with drugs," Falmouth Police Chief Anthony Riello said.

Riello has been chief in Falmouth for a little more than a year and while the problem of illegal weapons isn't nearly what it was in the city of Pittsfield, where he served as chief, it is real.

Despite Massachusetts' strict gun laws, which require background checks and varying degrees of firearms licenses, the relatively lax laws of surrounding New England states only contribute to the illegal weapons here, according to John Rosenthal, executive director of Stop Handgun Violence, a Natick-based group that successfully lobbied for Massachusetts gun law reform 10 years ago.

Criminals and terrorists know, Rosenthal said, that Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont are among 32 states that require no background checks to purchase a gun.

"We should be very concerned about that," he said. "Maine is an hour away and no ID required. It's a little scary."

Last year's trace statistics from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives appear to back up Rosenthal's claims. Of the 1,538 firearms recovered statewide in 2007, law enforcement was able to trace 845 of them. And of those, 529 were traced to other states with Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont accounting for 173 of the weapons.

In contrast, Massachusetts accounted for five of the firearms recovered in Maine in 2007 — or about 1 percent, according to the federal trace data.

Many southern states also have lax gun laws that allow weapons to be purchased legally in one state and then sold or traded illegally in Massachusetts, Murphy said.

James Wallace, director of the Northboro-based Gun Owners Action League, said the Massachusetts gun laws have been a disaster, only serving to make it tougher to be a lawful gun owner. He said he's never been shown evidence that the gun laws of other states are contributing to illegal guns in Massachusetts.

"Why would a criminal go to another state and come back to Massachusetts to commit the crimes?" Wallace said.

Seizures not uncommon
While Webster's case is an extreme one, police seizures of illegal weapons on the Cape is not unique.

Last May when Sandwich police arrested Jason Greene of Forestdale on drug charges, they seized a 9 mm handgun along with 800 Percocet pills and marijuana. He was charged with illegal possession of a firearm, along with drug charges.

In August, Adam Clough, 24, of West Yarmouth and Shawntay DeBarros, of Marstons Mills were arrested along with another man in an Attleboro drug sting. Clough and DeBarros were also charged with illegal possession of a firearm because police found a loaded Smith & Wesson 9 mm handgun in the car.

And, last January, a drug bust coordinated by Falmouth, Bourne, Mashpee and Barnstable, the Cape Cod Drug Task Force, state police detectives and the Barnstable County Sheriff's Department, included seizing a 9 mm Ruger semi-automatic handgun and the arrest of James Peters on outstanding drug and weapons charges.

There is a reason why the cops were wearing bulletproof vests during that early morning raid.

"There's a nexus between drugs and violence — whether that's guns, knives or physical violence," Murphy said. "It's becoming more and more common on the Cape."

Massachusetts laws do little to help with illegal weapons, Sandwich Police Chief Michael Miller said.

"The only people who obey laws are the ones who aren't going to cause you a problem," Miller said.

Back
Top Bottom