CCW on the T and Orpheum Theater?

I've run some searches on this and can find no regulations for the Orpheum or the MBTA. The MBTA runs random bag searches for explosives and random swabs on peoples shoe laces and zippers for explosive residue but I can find nothing about carrying a firearm on the subway system. Anyone know anything?

I'm only going from Braintree to Park Street, and won't be drinking alchohol.
Thanks.

I think it depends on the show

I took my 16 year old son to some kind of acid rock show a couple of years ago and they searched. About a year ago I went to see Lyle Lovett and they didn't.

If I were you I would assume they do

I haven't been to the Orpheum in years... last time I went there they
didn't search. But times have changed since then, and I wouldnt be
surprised if they do now. I know they do wanding at the banknorth
garden, which sucks.

The T really isn't a problem. If they do have no weapons rules, it is
not binding, and they don't shake people down normally.

-Mike

I would call and ask what their policy is. You definitely dont want to carry and then find out that they are checking and get turned away.

I don't know about you, but when I'm carrying I really don't want to be sandwiched in shoulder to shoulder with a few thousand other folks. Just too many strangers and hands around. Hard to enjoy the concert while constantly evaluating your ability to retain your weapon. Wallets go missing all the time, no matter how well hidden.

Besides, statistically speaking you are more likely to be trampled to death in a rush to get in or out at a concert than to end up in a civilian shooting.

I don't know about you, but when I'm carrying I really don't want to be sandwiched in shoulder to shoulder with a few thousand other folks. Just too many strangers and hands around. Hard to enjoy the concert while constantly evaluating your ability to retain your weapon. Wallets go missing all the time, no matter how well hidden.

Besides, statistically speaking you are more likely to be trampled to death in a rush to get in or out at a concert than to end up in a civilian shooting.

Probably true, but I never have had difficulty retaining a wallet at any
concert I've ever been to. Yeah, you might not want to carry a gun
if you're going into a mosh pit, but other than that I don't see the
added risk. [laugh] The only downside I can see is that in
some places (the garden especially) the seating can be horrible in
some sections and sitting in an unpadded tiny seat with a gun in
your backside might be uncomfortable.

And it isn't carrying there that I would even care about; it's about
getting back through the wonderful subway system late at
night, etc. The only consolation prize is that you generally can plan
a route that doesn't take you through bad areas.

The biggest problem is that one will not get an honest answer
out of whoever is doing security... they're probably going to say "no" unless
you dance around the bush a bit, and even then you might not get a
real answer. The only way to really know is if you know someone
that works there. So practically speaking carrying to large venues is
often a non starter because of that reason...

-Mike

If you ask, the answer will be NO!

Don't ask, don't tell!! Best policy . . . that's why they call it "concealed".

T is no problem, although asking will probably get you a "NO" as well.

Don't recognize any of the names you posted (showing my age?). Generally if the music appeals to a rowdy crowd, they search. If not, they usually don't search. YMMV

Didn't get searched at TD Banknorth for Simon & Garfunkle.

But I'd go see Joe Satriani even if I had to go 'light'. Surfing with the Alien was the first CD I ever actually 'wore out'. (transport mechanicals of the CD changer actually caused enough of a buffing on the surface that it started skipping.)

I wonder if anyone has ever successfully sued a venue with a "No Weapons" policy for an incident that occured at the venue, or better, on the way to or from said venue.

Still, policy or not, by the time you take the T to get there and wait in the line at the venue, if they are searching you're stuck. You've little choice but to get back on the T, head home and eat the ticket price.

The chances of getting searched to seem to depend on the type of music, though. I've never been searched for classical or opera performances, but for rock and country-western concerts it's been about 50/50.

I've been to the Garden twice in the last year. I saw them search some bags, but they didn't wand anyone when I was there. This was for Celtics games though.

The T should be fine. The Orpheum would be OK, in an IWB rig too. Don't take the chance with a bag though, and I agree with Len, don't bother calling.

If you're worried, don't carry.

Last edited:
I don't think the red line goes through any bad areas on the way to the Orpheum, but this recent gang violence increase had me a little worried.

I've been to see G3 at the orpheum as well as a few other shows (post 911) before and they weren't searching but that doesn't mean they aren't now. However, there is a big sign in the orpheum box office that a portion ($2?) of each ticket goes to stop hangun violence, brady or some such nut anti-gun group.

Jon

Recent?

Gang Violence is a chronic problem. All that has increased is the body count. This just means that the Goblins are even more lethal than they were.

It's an old problem but there has been a recent increase in shootings. Boston is up there with New Orleans in the homicide department.

I've been to see G3 at the orpheum as well as a few other shows (post 911) before and they weren't searching but that doesn't mean they aren't now. However, there is a big sign in the orpheum box office that a portion ($2?) of each ticket goes to stop hangun violence, brady or some such nut anti-gun group.

Jon

Well...guess I won't be going there any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom