Change of address

do i need to contact the NH authorities about a change of address for my out of state permit? and if so, who do i contact?

I do not know the answer, but I looked around to see what I could find for you.

NH RSA Title XII Section 159:6-b:
II. When the licensee hereunder ceases to be a resident of the community in which the license was issued he shall notify in writing the issuing authority at his new place of residence that he has a current license. Such license shall remain in effect until it expires pursuant to RSA 159:6.

Who is your issuing agency? Section 159:6
159:6 License to Carry. –
I. The selectmen of a town or the mayor or chief of police of a city or some full-time police officer designated by them respectively, upon application of any resident of such town or city, or the director of state police, or some person designated by such director, upon application of a nonresident, shall issue a license to such applicant authorizing the applicant to carry a loaded pistol or revolver in this state for not less than 4 years from the date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to the applicant's person or property or has any proper purpose, and that the applicant is a suitable person to be licensed. Hunting, target shooting, or self-defense shall be considered a proper purpose.

IANAL, but my take is that in your case, the issuing agency at your new place of residence hasn't changed, it's still the NH State Police, unless you have moved to NH (in which case your issuing agency would now be at the town level, not state). My suggestion would be to call the Office of the Director of State Police (603-271-2450) and see if they have anything helpful to add, then I would send a written letter to the Director of State Police (see contact page) at their headquarters:
Department of Safety
Division of State Police
33 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03305​

Hopefully this will give you a start on the answer, and maybe someone else here has been in your situation and knows the answer for sure. Good luck.

When you change your address with them in writing, make sure that you send the letter via Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested. Then file that receipt in a safe place in case you ever have to prove that you changed the address according to the statute.

small update for those who are interested. i called. one needs to send a letter with new and old address, along with a $3 check or money order for a new card.

Does this apply for a MA resident who has also changed his address with in MA in other words a MA address to another MA address w a NH Lic. Yes i just changed my address and was wondering this exact question recently.

Does this apply for a MA resident who has also changed his address with in MA in other words a MA address to another MA address w a NH Lic. Yes i just changed my address and was wondering this exact question recently.

that is exactly what i did. one MA address to another MA address.

Back
Top Bottom