Changing AR-15 A2 buttstock to Tele-stock

Mass-diver

NES Member
I'm just about ready to change over the A2 stock on my pre-ban AR to a magpul tele stock. I have the magpul stock, a new buffer tube, and my wrench should arrive this week.

I found some decent guides on ar-15.com and some other places, however I was wondering if anyone had any other good guides that they had found? I would love some step-by-step guide for dummies. Youtube video etc? I'm not that good with my hands, so belive it or not, this a big job for me.

Any tips would much appreciated! Thanks

Just remember to watch for those springs. When you remove the old stock, the spring behind the rear takedown pin will come out. When you remove the old tube (use an adjustable wrench on the rear of the tube) be sure to catch the buffer retaining pin and spring. Then, when finished with installation don't forget to stake the new tube in place. Here is a nice video from Brownells.

Make sure your buffer tube and stock are the same type (Mil-spec w/ Mil-spec and Commercial with Commercial).

Also, Stake the castle nut opposed to using loktite.

Thanks, both my tube and my stock are commerical.

What do you like to use for staking? I have heard you can use the edge of flathead scewdriver?

Thanks again.

Make sure you have a reciever block. IF you are to rough taking the reciever extension out you can actually break the reciever. I had to heat mine up with a heat gun. Make sure the reciever is supported when you start to remove the extension.

Edge of a flathead screwdriver that I don't plan on using on a screw ever again, edge of a cold chisel, or a centerpunch. And a hammer - size to taste.

Or one of those spring loaded centerpunches - it will take multiple hits to get there.

Some pictures of staking jobs.

Edge of a flathead screwdriver that I don't plan on using on a screw ever again, edge of a cold chisel, or a centerpunch. And a hammer - size to taste.

Or one of those spring loaded centerpunches - it will take multiple hits to get there.

Some pictures of staking jobs.

Thank you, very helpful.

Do you guys think a receiver block is "must" for this job?

Thank you, very helpful.

Do you guys think a receiver block is "must" for this job?

No, you could just use a towel and a bench vise. There isn't that much torque required to remove or install a buffer tube and all you need the vise for is to keep the lower from twisting. If your old tube is really stuck, however, use of a block would be prudent.

I'm just about ready to change over the A2 stock on my pre-ban AR to a magpul tele stock. I have the magpul stock, a new buffer tube, and my wrench should arrive this week.

I found some decent guides on ar-15.com and some other places, however I was wondering if anyone had any other good guides that they had found? I would love some step-by-step guide for dummies. Youtube video etc? I'm not that good with my hands, so belive it or not, this a big job for me.

Any tips would much appreciated! Thanks

You do have a carbine length buffer, right?

No, the buffer itself is also different.

I took the actual buffer out of my other carbine. My other rifle is a MA compliant M4 type rifle. I could not get the pinned stock off the rifle, so I bought a new tube for my pre-ban rifle and then took the buffer out of the MA rifle. I then placed the A2 stock (from the pre-ban rifle), with the rifle length tube and buffer, on the MA carbine. Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

Anyways, with all that said, thanks to everyone for the advice. I have not staked it yet (and I'm too scared to test fire it [wink]), but otherwise things are looking pretty good!

IMG_0873.jpg

Sounds good, assuming that the other rifle used a carbine buffer. FWIW, apparently some of the "pinned M4 stocks" actually use rifle length buffers. Seems like yours is working properly though, so I guess it's not one of those.

Back
Top Bottom