Check your guns at the door on U-Maine Campuses

Check your guns at the door
Old west weapons policy aims to keep campus safe

Send a letter to the editor about this or any other article in The Maine Campus.

Housed within the darkened command center of the University of Maine Public Safety office, behind the circus of lights emanating from the dispatch control panel, there exists a room that would send Bugs Bunny running for the rabbit hole.

Inside, an array of shotguns and rifles are stacked on racks reaching from the floor to the ceiling, with handguns and ammunition on a nearby metal shelf. They are all located behind a standard, wooden closet door, distinguished only by a small sign that reads “student weapons.”

This is not a collection of confiscated items locked away in the evidence locker. As is the case with many rural college campuses around the country, official UMaine policy allows individuals to store weapons at the police station. While the language of the policy more specifically targets projectile weapons, the storage room has held a bit of everything, including a small collection of Celtic swords and surplus police firearms.

While the state constitution states a citizen’s right to “keep and bear arms shall never be questioned,” approval from the state legislature gives university police the right to regulate weapons on campus. UMaine police chief Noel March insists the restrictions are not about taking away the rights of citizens, but are aimed at ensuring a safe collegiate environment.

READ MORE

I think providing and even requiring the storage of firearms in one (or two) central place is a good idea. Just because one student is a responsible gun owner does not mean a roommate is. I believe this to be reasonable when dealing with often immature and Alcohol obsessed College populations.

That being said, I feel that those of legal age should be able to carry on Campus, including in class, dorms, sporting events, and assemblies. As we all have said before "the bad guys don't follow the law".

The College Campus that I went to had a gun locker on campus run by Public Safety. If i remember correctly guns were not allowed in any of our buildings, your car, or on person.

I attended UMaine (Orono) from 1984-88. I remember that room well. Every September when I drove to school, I had my whole stash in the trunk of my 1976 Plymouth Valiant. I gladly checked the 6-7 firearms in there so I could bird hunt, duck hunt, deer hunt after class. Ocassionally, I was late coming out of the woods and kept them in my dorm room. No big deal back then. I cannot imagine walking the halls with a firearm these days. Probably have a swat team surround you in no time.

"Those who sacrifice liberty for a little bit of safety deserve neither". Very sage advice.

The Constitution does not say "the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, except on university campuses"

Campus bans on firearms are being questioned all over the country for good reason: gun free zones attract psychopaths and killers who know their victims cannot adequately defend themselves.

“You should be able to live, work and learn here without being afraid,” March said. “On that point I am unwilling to negotiate.”

Some people just do not get it, and this police chief is one of them. He thinks it is his job to assure everyone's safety and keep people from the emotion of fear on his campus. We know that is not his job. It is each individual's job to assure their own safety and to live in comfort with their fears. I carry a gun, even on the UM campus, because I am comfortable doing so and because I know by doing so I will not become a helpless victim.

While the state constitution states a citizen’s right to “keep and bear arms shall never be questioned,” ....

I have a question. How the hell can they bear arms if the guns are locked in the police station?

I think providing and even requiring the storage of firearms in one (or two) central place is a good idea. ....

That being said, I feel that those of legal age should be able to carry on Campus, including in class, dorms, sporting events, and assemblies. As we all have said before "the bad guys don't follow the law".

Exactly how do you propose that the concept of "mandated central storage" and "allowing persons of legal age to carry" co-exist on campus?

When it comes to violence in the classroom, March is especially adamant that a law-abiding citizen with a concealed weapon would do far more harm than good. An expert with a pistol, March doubts even he would be able to see through the “fog of war” clearly enough to “neutralize a threat” in a crowded classroom.

I've never met Mr. March. I don't know him personally nor is he familiar to me by reputation.

But I goddamned guarantee I am more of an "expert with a pistol" than he is.

I also guarantee I shoot more rounds per year than he does, without question.

If he was an "expert," as he claims, he would be able to neutralize a threat.

He's a college cop with a badge and an ego. Nothing more.

Back
Top Bottom