Club Demographics

As the topic suggests, I'm curious about gun club demographics in MA. I'm African American, former law enforcement, former Air Force officer, and currently an attorney. I'm interested in finding a gun club that has a good balance of openminded folks. I only ask because my experience in certain MA gun stores has been less than pleasurable.

I still can't get over how uncomfortable people seem in MA when a black man walks into a gun store. I know I'm going to catch hell for saying that, but understand that I've lived all over the US and the world. I've been to a number of gun stores in other states and have never had an issue. I'm hoping to find a club where the membership will accept a fellow gunowner for who he is. Granted, if I wear a sign that says "Former Police Officer and Air Force Captain" there won't be an issue. But nobody knows that when I walk in the door.

I'm sorry to hear about the gun shops. It doesn't make sense especially because ultimately they are in sales, but a lot of gun shop personnel are inherently a-holes. As a youngish white male I noticed that too, and it took me a while to find one I liked. I think it stems from being asked the same questions over and over again, but doesn't make it right. There's a list of gun shops on here, along with feedback on them.

As for clubs I'm a member at HSA and it's been awesome so far. Not sure how far Hopkington is from you, but it's a great club. Everyone I have had dealings with, fellow members, and club officials alike have been friendly and helpful. Hope this helps.

I'm sorry that you've run into discrimination, but as Eddy says above, there are more than a few dealers out there that seriously lack "social skills" in dealing with customers.

As for gun clubs, I'm well aware of discriminatory practices that occurred many years ago at my first club where it was WASP only until my late police chief broke that barrier with some serious threats if they black-balled a Jewish person he proposed for membership. That said, in my 24 years of membership at that club, I never saw a black person apply for membership (I left that club in 2000 and can't speak for current practices).

On the good side, I can say unequivocally that Braintree R&P is a true "melting pot". We have many blacks, Asians, Jews, females, etc. members and I've never seen anything to give me an impression that everyone isn't welcome. If you want to check it out and shoot as my guest, send me a PM or Email off my username.

A hint on what area of the state you are looking in might be helpful.

I've met a-holes of every race, creed and country and good people of each group too.

As long as you aren't one of those commie liberals from Cambridge, you're ok until proven otherwise. Oh, or anyone having one of those polo ponies on their shirts. I hate those. I'm not too fond of drug addicts, either,

you know what? come to think of it I hate EVERYONE! EFF YOU!

(Go "Green" and keep an eye out for NES shoots this spring. You'll meet some very nice, like minded folks)

Never mind demographics, how about geographic? Where do you live?

I am a member of both Singletary in Oxford and Hopkinton Sportsmen. HSA has folks of all types and all who are safe and responsible are welcome. Let me know if you would like a tour.

We have every color except purple at the Andover Sportsmen's. If you're in our area, take a look. You're very welcome.

This is Massachusetts, most clubs have general meeting one week, Klan meeting the next and BOD meeting at the end of the month. Just find a club closeby that offers everything you want and try to go when its quiet like everyone else, I hate sharing the range with people usually.

[/sarcasm]™

As the topic suggests, I'm curious about gun club demographics in MA. I'm African American, former law enforcement, former Air Force officer, and currently an attorney. I'm interested in finding a gun club that has a good balance of openminded folks. I only ask because my experience in certain MA gun stores has been less than pleasurable.

I still can't get over how uncomfortable people seem in MA when a black man walks into a gun store. I know I'm going to catch hell for saying that, but understand that I've lived all over the US and the world. I've been to a number of gun stores in other states and have never had an issue. I'm hoping to find a club where the membership will accept a fellow gunowner for who he is. Granted, if I wear a sign that says "Former Police Officer and Air Force Captain" there won't be an issue. But nobody knows that when I walk in the door.

I mean no disrespect at all. I'm just saying. As a white male in MA I cannot get over how uncomfortable sales folks can be when I enter a gun store. Then if I ask a question they can be down right rude. I tend not to go back to those places. I'd say it is a 50/50 game in that regard.

As an aside I was just down in Texas. I entered a store and the sales person asked "How Y'all doin', Did you have a good Christmas? Happy New Year. (etc...)" I said "Hi, Ya Christmas was great. Happy New Year to you as well" and stopped talking and started looking around at the merchandise. In my mind that is the end of the exchange. The sales person keeps talking to me though. "Good to Hear Good to Hear. (etc...) Have a good day now" and I sense a bit of annoyance which I did not understand at all.

I then noticed during my visit that every person had this exchange with the sales person upon entering the store. The difference between me and that new customer was that they all had, what I would consider, an extended conversation after the initial greeting. It was all very pleasant. Very... Southern. I thought though that I had been a complete a**hole to the salesperson after some reflection. I'd been caught up in my New England way of doing things. Strange how perception like that works. I made it a point to relax a bit more. Slow down. Look around and pay attention to my surroundings a bit more. When in Rome as they say, or Central Texas as I was in that case.

My 2 cents.

White guy, so cant comment on the racial aspect other than to say in the short time Ive been at the club, I havent seen or heard of any b.s., racially speaking. There were a couple of Latino guys who were sworn in with me. I havent met everyone there and havent thought to ask of the demographics of the club. No one's a big fan of liberals though, it seems. Neither am I.

My experience with gun shops has been theyre not the most friendly people in the world, and thats putting it mildly. Sometimes I almost feel like apologizing for whatever reason just for being there. Im not going to tell you that there's no racial thing going on, but you wont have to look very hard to find people complaining about their treatment and/or the overall vibe at a lot of the gun shops around here.

People in New England are often standoffish. It is just part of the culture. I'm truly sorry if you have been a victim of discrimination.

I'm a member of two gun clubs and I'm sure that your membership would be welcome at either of them. That doesn't change the fact that, demographics being what they are, you would be in a distinct minority.

Let us know what town you live in, so we can recommend a club that is reasonably close.

People in New England just generally suck. It's in our nature. Add to that the angry MA gun owner attitude, and it gets worse. There was another thread on gun shops,. There aren't enough gun owners in this state to demand better gun shops, so we deal with what we have, or drive long distances to find the ones that are better. I don't think the attitude is towards you because of what you look like, I think it is because you are there and they treat everyone like shit. I get the same smarmy attitude in every MA gun shop I go in. I only experienced an attitude like this one time in NH. Does that mean NH is that much better than MA? Compared to the rest of the country where people are very nice, and very pro 2A, I am sure NH looks like a hellhole.

ETA: There are a few gun shops in MA I have been to that were great, but I have only been in them once or twice, and are too far to frequent.

It is disproportionately white at most ranges, that's just a natural fact. Add to that the NE attitude, and I can see what you're saying. My brother faces this occasionally. I'm from a family that adopted a lot of kids. My younger brother is black. Two tours in Iraq/Afghanistan with the Marines, then a year as a civilian operator. He's in the minority at most ranges as well, and can handle a weapon better than most people there.
I think outreach is the answer Former APD. A lot of young black men might be hesitant to get into the sport due to some negative stereotypes. The antis love to pit us against one another, but right now it's time to stand shoulder to shoulder.

Thanks, guys. Lots of great advice. Some of you said some hilarious things that deserve a quote, but I'm on my iPhone, so I'll keep this simple.

First, no. I'm not a liberal. [Dies laughing]. I didn't vote for Obama-the-Redistributionist; I can't step foot into Cambridge without breaking out in hives and feeling the need to take a hot shower; and I think Diane Feinstein has the intellectual capacity of a chicken nugget. I'm a card carrying Republican, NRA and Goal member and proud owner of numerous firearms any of which I dare those liberal dimwits in Congress to try to take. Phew.

As for location, I live in Framingham. I'm hoping to get into IDPA, so a club with an IDPA affiliation would be great. I've done my Google research but just couldn't get a feel for the inclusiveness.

As for the gun shops, it's not always the gun store owners. That's why I don't want to call the shops out by name. It's the sideways glances and inquisical looks that I get from other customers that catches my attention. Honestly, considering that most blacks are democrats, I can't really blame someone for assuming that I'm just another Al Sharpton protege. I just want to find a club that will suspend judgment long enough for me to dispel the generalization.

Most clubs around here are "gun ranges" where no one will even pay attention to who is shooting down the line. There is usually a group of members who are more active in other aspects, but mainly people join to shoot. I've been a member of my club for 12 years and I think I've been in the clubhouse maybe two dozen times!

If I go during the week, many times I'm the only one there, and that's fine with me.

If you are looking to find a club with a more social component, well, I really can't speak to that. I would hope you wouldn't have any problems.

As for location, I live in Framingham. I'm hoping to get into IDPA, so a club with an IDPA affiliation would be great. I've done my Google research but just couldn't get a feel for the inclusiveness.

Harvard Sportsmen's or Worcester. I suggest that you come out to a match. Worcester is having one this Saturday. Harvard's next IDPA match is Saturday 1/26. You don't have to be a member to attend a match.

I'm a member at Harvard and I'll be glad to show you around -- just send me a pm. I live in Wayland, so I could pick you up and we could ride there together or we could meet at HSC -- your choice. I'm hoping to get to Saturday's match at Worcester and to HSC for practice on Sunday afternoon.

Thanks, guys. Lots of great advice. Some of you said some hilarious things that deserve a quote, but I'm on my iPhone, so I'll keep this simple.

First, no. I'm not a liberal. [Dies laughing]. I didn't vote for Obama-the-Redistributionist; I can't step foot into Cambridge without breaking out in hives and feeling the need to take a hot shower; and I think Diane Feinstein has the intellectual capacity of a chicken nugget. I'm a card carrying Republican, NRA and Goal member and proud owner of numerous firearms any of which I dare those liberal dimwits in Congress to try to take. Phew.

As for the gun shops, it's not always the gun store owners. That's why I don't want to call the shops out by name. It's the sideways glances and inquisical looks that I get from other customers that catches my attention. Honestly, considering that most blacks are democrats, I can't really blame someone for assuming that I'm just another Al Sharpton protege. I just want to find a club that will suspend judgment long enough for me to dispel the generalization.

My .02, Take ipscdrl up on his offer for a tour of Hopkinton... Great facilities as well as members. The members of the board that I have met are all great guys which can give you confidence the direction the club takes moving forward will most assuredly be positive.

I think the best way to have it not be surprising to see women, black, Hispanic, gay, Asians, etc in gun ranges and stores is to spread the sport to more people in these 2A minority groups. The sport is certainly growing with women. I have many black friends who jokingly say they won't even apply for an LTC, but even though they know better they still haven't applied because of the fear of discrimination as a minority group and a gun owner in MA.

if you want to drive out past HSC you are welcome at NLRG. if i ever caught someone giving another member a hard time on my range based on their race, gender, or creed i would seriously butt-**** their life up and see that their membership was terminated.

if you want to drive out past HSC you are welcome at NLRG. if i ever caught someone giving another member a hard time on my range based on their race, gender, or creed i would seriously butt-**** their life up and see that their membership was terminated.

What about age or sexual orientation? The society of geriatric queens is looking for a place.

Harvard (HSC) and Worcester (WPRC) are both welcoming clubs. If you're purple and interested in shooting, you're welcome. I've see people there from many different heritages. Shoot their IDPA matches and see for yourself.

Last edited:

Check out Harvard and Hopkinton. IIRC Rob Boudrie is a member of both and big into the IDPA sports.

Back
Top Bottom