CMP 1911 News

OK, what about this work-around. . . . . .

You need to provide it to an 01 dealer. But once it's in the 01 dealer hands, it's a C&R peese. Could you list an out-of-MA dealer than have it shipped on to you afterwards? Or have a buddy in a far far far far far free'er state buy as many as he could then trade you for it after, Cruffler-style?

Again - if these are going to be $1,000 to start, I'm gonna pass. History or no. I'd rather spend that $ on a cool 03A3 instead. (Plus I've got a goodly amount of surplus US made CMP 30-06.)

LOL

I was on that list. I took myself off of it when I got a two-fer on 2 different Walmart opening-days within months of eachother. It was cheaper than the CMP price. (Granted, range ammo vs. match ammo. But I'm more of a ranger than a matcher.)

I want to say at some point they told me the price was going to go up substantially as well. LOL

Yes you can arrange with a non-MA dealer to order it and then ship it to you on your C&R FFL. It adds cost (that should be unnecessary).

It's illegal for a C&R FFL to buy with intention of selling/transfer, so it could be trouble if Feds look into it.

Ammo: Cost of Aguila SV did indeed go thru the roof with CMP. But their supplier refused to ship them quantities needed for committed orders, so they substituted. Their offer to me was Armscor at $300/case which I accepted. Then I was billed $405 and forced them to take it back and refund me. Shortly after I saw Aguila SV being offered elsewhere at $250/case!! I bought tons of WM .22LR HV back when it was available and relatively cheap, still working off that supply after donating >5K to Comm2A raffles and the BR&P juniors program over time.

Any idea on price??

I would be interested in a few if they were in the 300 or less range. Anything north of 400 I wouldn't bother. A 100 year old rode hard and put away wet piece of history isn't worth more than a new pistol with a much higher magazine capacity and zero wear/tear.

I realize the cool factor, and would love to hang a few on my wall for decoration and occasional use....but not for big money. I'm sure with the exception of the 'money is not an issue' crowd, I'm not alone.

Any idea on price??

I would be interested in a few if they were in the 300 or less range. Anything north of 400 I wouldn't bother. A 100 year old rode hard and put away wet piece of history isn't worth more than a new pistol with a much higher magazine capacity and zero wear/tear.

I realize the cool factor, and would love to hang a few on my wall for decoration and occasional use....but not for big money. I'm sure with the exception of the 'money is not an issue' crowd, I'm not alone.

$1000 to start per CMPs Mark Johnson if and when they ever come. We have no idea what they have. I don't know when the last contract was for new 1911a1s to the government. They could all be 1970s-1980s production ?
Anything nice will be cherry picked and put into private collection or on cmp auction.

Any idea on price??

They will definitely not be 400 dollars. From what has been said, I believe the price will be closer to 1000(someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

Yes these will be old war horses, but go to gunbroker and check the prices on government property marked 1911s.

Another way to look at it, just because a Luger/garand/p38/etc is well "used" doesn't make it a 400 pistol.

CMP will have no trouble selling these.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

They will definitely not be 400 dollars. From what has been said, I believe the price will be closer to 1000(someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

Yes these will be old war horses, but go to gunbroker and check the prices on government property marked 1911s.

Another way to look at it, just because a Luger/garand/p38/etc is well "used" doesn't make it a 400 pistol.

CMP will have no trouble selling these.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

No trouble at all and could put everyone on their auction site and get more money than most of us have or are willing to pay.

Any idea on price??

$300 was probably mid 1990's - 2000 pricing............like garands and everything else they don't make anymore....they've gone up.

$300 was probably mid 1990's - 2000 pricing............like garands and everything else they don't make anymore....they've gone up.

I doubt it. I paid ~$210 for my new 1911 Colt Series 70 in 1977ish and bought a used one (accurized early model) for ~$250 at the same time. In 2004 I paid almost $600 for a used S&W 1911 and Colts were ~$600 in the 1990s before our laws changed.

I doubt it. I paid ~$210 for my new 1911 Colt Series 70 in 1977ish and bought a used one (accurized early model) for ~$250 at the same time. In 2004 I paid almost $600 for a used S&W 1911 and Colts were ~$600 in the 1990s before our laws changed.

Yeah...agree, I might be off by ten years or so.....but what I meant was those days are over.

Military colts, garands, a3-03, etc...my dad may have seen them as dime a dozen junk guns on the rack for 100 dollars or less...and wouldn't consider even touching them. Racks for full of return garands...no one wanted them, they were too heavy to hunt with. Colts he'd seen used in want ads for 50 bucks. Still tells me that shxt to this day.....

It looks like we may have jumped another hurdle on the long journey...

The 2018 National Defense Authorization Act was approved Thursday to include a plan to transfer the U.S. Army’s remaining stock of .45 ACP M1911A1 pistols to the Civilian Marksmanship Program.

Added as an amendment while the NDAA was in debate in the House Armed Service Committee, it would speed up the transfer of potentially the largest remaining stock of military surplus World War II-era handguns in government hands to the public. The mammoth legislation, which outlines $700 billion in overall defense spending, cruised to final approval on a voice vote in the Senate and now heads to President Trump.

I'm still not sure. I think CMP will over-price these and make them unappealing to me. :(

It's a tough call. The point of the CMP was to provide training (and arms) to the civilian population. Is it smarter to sell 10,000 guns a year at $800 or $300??? I can see CMP justification for each. Esp. if they sell them at $300 and every 3rd guy is buying it just to resell at $700.

Not really a 1911 guy. So unless the price is too low to pass up, I'll pass. Is that possible??? I don't own a Shield despite the crazy prices this summer. ;)

So since we can now get certain colts but they are 1911 models will these fall into the ok colt category?

I'm still not sure. I think CMP will over-price these and make them unappealing to me. :(

It's a tough call. The point of the CMP was to provide training (and arms) to the civilian population. Is it smarter to sell 10,000 guns a year at $800 or $300??? I can see CMP justification for each. Esp. if they sell them at $300 and every 3rd guy is buying it just to resell at $700.

Not really a 1911 guy. So unless the price is too low to pass up, I'll pass. Is that possible??? I don't own a Shield despite the crazy prices this summer. ;)

CMP now sees its mission as training. Providing the arms is a means to an end- essentially revenue to support the (other) programs. CMP will be looking to maximize its program supporting revenue with the 1911's, just as it has done with M1 Garands. I would not expect a 'deal' on these.

CMP now sees its mission as training. Providing the arms is a means to an end- essentially revenue to support the (other) programs. CMP will be looking to maximize its program supporting revenue with the 1911's, just as it has done with M1 Garands. I would not expect a 'deal' on these.
its always been the cmps mission
My guess is the cmp will sell the 1911s at $1000.00+ for anthing they decide to put up for general consumption. Anything remotely valuable will go straight to CMP auction and get double top dollar. As for getting them in MA very unlikely. I would need to see the approved list again and I dont remeber the colt 1911a1 being on it?

its always been the cmps mission
My guess is the cmp will sell the 1911s at $1000.00+ for anthing they decide to put up for general consumption. Anything remotely valuable will go straight to CMP auction and get double top dollar. As for getting them in MA very unlikely. I would need to see the approved list again and I dont remeber the colt 1911a1 being on it?
I'd say you're right. Maybe even more than $1000 given that there will be a cap of 10,000/yr for the first 2 years so that the government can access that the CMP is selling them lawfully and what the cost is to the Army. I think demand is pretty high for these so the first couple of "batches" will probably sell at a premium.

I'd be in at the $800-$850 level for a shooter, unless they threw in some other accessories, etc.
I am expecting to see $1000-$1200 for the price floor, though.

I'd say you're right. Maybe even more than $1000 given that there will be a cap of 10,000/yr for the first 2 years so that the government can access that the CMP is selling them lawfully and what the cost is to the Army. I think demand is pretty high for these so the first couple of "batches" will probably sell at a premium.
there is no cost to army the army signs them off to the CMP and the cmp sells them. I think the CMP pays for any shipping cost?

per yahoo news (I wont give them the clicks by posting the link) and shame on me for clicking on it.

typical clickbaity title, but the article just factual 1911 info for the most part, until we come to the last paragraph....(see bolded part.)

The U.S. Army Is Selling Some of Its Most Powerful Guns (and You Can Buy One)

The last transfer of 1911s to the CMP was in 2015, when President Barack Obama signed a defense bill that included a measure to transfer 10,000 pistols for sale to the program; lawmakers had stated that May that the DoD spends $2 a year to store each of its 100,000 surplus 1911s. With 10,000 already transferred and 8,300 additional pistols “sold or disposed of,” per Guns.com, that means there are at least 80,000 1911s ready and waiting for a nasty civilian to give them a good home.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

per yahoo news (I wont give them the clicks by posting the link) and shame on me for clicking on it.

typical clickbaity title, but the article just factual 1911 info for the most part, until we come to the last paragraph....(see bolded part.)

The U.S. Army Is Selling Some of Its Most Powerful Guns (and You Can Buy One)

The last transfer of 1911s to the CMP was in 2015, when President Barack Obama signed a defense bill that included a measure to transfer 10,000 pistols for sale to the program; lawmakers had stated that May that the DoD spends $2 a year to store each of its 100,000 surplus 1911s. With 10,000 already transferred and 8,300 additional pistols “sold or disposed of,” per Guns.com, that means there are at least 80,000 1911s ready and waiting for a nasty civilian to give them a good home.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
Here's an archive link, nobody else needs to follow through:
https://archive.fo/VRpZX

But yes, that author has some problems.

-----edit ed to add---

Notably, this is the author:
http://taskandpurpose.com/author/jared.keller/

In fact, here's the original version of the 1911 article.

Based on its being written for Task & Purpose, which claims to be generally by/for veterans, it's possible he simply failed at making a "deplorables" joke. I leave that to the reader to decide.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom