CMP M1 Garand and Mondern Military is next 11/05/2017 @ OCSA pembroke ma

Hope you guys are ready for 90 degree heat !

Vintage = 1917. I need to redeem myself for my performance at the Butner with that rifle.

90 so what im already prepping for it. been out roasting in the sun all day doing yard work...

Gatorade! And I'm going to skip deodorant and set up upwind of Mac. [smile] And things are looking better- got to change seats. 7-1/2 hours next to the can was not my idea of a party. Taking off so that's a plus.

No idea how I'll do with the M39 but I need the practice for Vermont.

Gatorade! And I'm going to skip deodorant and set up upwind of Mac. [smile] And things are looking better- got to change seats. 7-1/2 hours next to the can was not my idea of a party. Taking off so that's a plus.

No idea how I'll do with the M39 but I need the practice for Vermont.

Ahh like a gun show! Maybe I will skip the morning dump and crop dust the range[smile]

Safety meeting etc. still at 8:30 despite 10 am start time? Modern starts after M1 match ends?

The safety meeting/sign up is at 830. Start time is at 10am
As for what is to be shot. More or less they fill the relays. Depending on how many shooters show up to shoot. The CMP Games use the 35 round format and the time limits are now the same for each course no matter bolt or semi. So there's no real reason to do M1 first or what have you.

I get you, the relays could be mixed and the matches are run simultaneously.
I remember now I never ordered a shooting glove, so I would go without.

I ordered swivels to put my spare websling on my 10/22 and I think I will put techsights on it and try to improve my fundamentals, maybe see if I can do an Appleseed.

I guess I could go tomorrow, although my SKS sling would not help in anyway either.

Garand match is typically shot first. Should be a decent turn out. I spoke with a few other regulars not on this forum and they plan on showing.

I get you, the relays could be mixed and the matches are run simultaneously.
I remember now I never ordered a shooting glove, so I would go without.

I ordered swivels to put my spare websling on my 10/22 and I think I will put techsights on it and try to improve my fundamentals, maybe see if I can do an Appleseed.

I guess I could go tomorrow, although my SKS sling would not help in anyway either.
sure come and shoot at least club gun... I will offer the use of my A2 if time permits.

It was a bit hot but fun... I had a clip malfunction. Im pissed at myself as I usually have a extra clip of 8 on my stool.

Nest match is july 9th M1 garand as issued and Vintage Next

It was a bit hot but fun... I had a clip malfunction. Im pissed at myself as I usually have a extra clip of 8 on my stool.

Nest match is july 9th M1 garand as issued and Vintage Next

Was wondering what happened in your rapid.

I think I shot an all time low Garand score. Just couldn't get into the groove. Made up for it with Modern.

Was wondering what happened in your rapid.

I think I shot an all time low Garand score. Just couldn't get into the groove. Made up for it with Modern.

yes i had the privilege of listening to franco scream at you from the pits[laugh2] to recap what he said F,F,f'nF,Fn,F'n suck, F'n F F! WTF

I will take the 271 on the mondern Not sure what happened there slow prone I shot sighters 10x,10,9,10,9
then a 10 then out of no where a 7,8 ? I think the 7 was a crosfire? then went back to hitting 10s and 9s at 6 Oclock was to hot to bother with a sight correction.

I was on my way to a decent M1 score... I had to single feed the 5 rounds i got off on the mag change. I fumbled with the mag to long. I could have just stripped the rounds and finished all 8 if i didnt try so long to get the clip to work. I did not notice the clip was bent when loading it and it just would not go in.... pissed as i usually have a extra clip on my stool BUT was not thinking now that we do the 35 round format!

Last edited:
That was a good time.
If you had offered me the 86 and 87 I scored in the prone stages on the M1 I would have taken it in the morning, so I am satisfied.
Something to build on at least.
Offhand was another story, unless I can claim that I happened to pick all HXP flyers (other than the one bull I hit, of course [wink]).

Not sure I would run the SKS again without trying mac's suggestions on a sling. Still an experience though.

Added 14pts to my pitiful score at the previous match...my buddy Pat got the same score as he did the last time. so if he stays where he's at, maybe next time i'll beat him at least! I did make the mistake of setting him up to make his first reloads though, so hopefully that doesn't help his score TOO much :D

Yesterday was a good time, but I was sweating like a nun in a cucumber patch while on the firing line. my take away for the day was my one X from the standing...a fluke, mind you...but even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and again, i guess.

I will add that having folks running the pits helped, too. For those of us spotting scope challenged (I brought one but didn't use it) being able to see the discs for scores/shot placement helped big time.

Glad everyone had a great time- I sure did. Yeah, really hot...

Not my worst in M1 and was able to call nearly 100% of my f-ups (there were many). My MM was so-so due to a miss in awful hand and a C-F in rapids. During mag change when I went to check the scope and put my hand down on a hot 30-06 case, then in the excitement proceeded to hook my rear sling loop on my jacket. My hand actually blistered up on the way home. Another case hit me above the eyebrow and I had a little nick. LOL...

Back at the airport for a quick domestic trip. Not sure if I can make 7/9 as it's just before I am supposed to go to Russia.

If anyone in central Mass wants to get together and shoot 100 yard for practice just let me know. Weekend mornings before it gets hot and when the light is decent at my range.

Last edited:
My only complaint other than the heat (which was less of a nuisance than I thought it would be) was my drive back, 1 hr. 40 minutes thanks to some congestion on Rt.3 and 93 North.

By the way does anyone have a good A2 style AR stock they recommend? I have a carbine stock on mine but it's a little short even for a short guy like me. My sling swivel is at the back of the receiver near where the stock slides over the buffer tube. I think I'd like to swap it out for an AR2 style for a true rear swivel.

Still wouldn't be match compliant since I have a flip up rear sight and not the carry handle though.

Have you tried Waze? 1.5 hours home all the way to Holden. With the potential for Cape traffic I won't go home without it...

Pretty sure your non-handle and flip up sight is ok. Rock River A2 buttstock is a good one.

From the CMP Rulebook. That being said, the rules at Pembroke are a little more relaxed. You might just have to deal with some extra ribbing from Franco :)

"Alternatively, the rifle may be equipped with issue-type metallic frontand rear sights. Metallic sights, if used, must have an M16 type sightdesign with the rear sight in the carry handle and the front sight instandard M16 location

Butt-stocks may vary in length and be either fixed or adjustable.Adjustable length stocks are permitted, but butt stocks that allow forother adjustments such as the cheek-piece height or butt-plate locationmay not be used"

Anyone ever see or shoot a FAL or PTR-91/G3 in modern?

I have only shot Pembroke for MMM. It's usually just ARs there. This was the first week I seen anything else. I thought we might see a increase in shooters with the introduction to cmp modern military but that has not been the case at Pembroke.

Its hard getting people to shoot in the matches.
I know at least 12 people local who own M1s and just don't shoot them.
As for MM I know several people with PT91/FAL
Along with other rifles they could use that will never shoot a match of any kind.
Now as far as MM and ARs.
Last year a group of AR bench warmers where hitching about the "Match" and how long they would have to wait to start and how often they we would be going cold.
I explained to them that this is a match and today is AR day. I offered to pay their match fees and come over and play. One of them spouted" dude you have to lay on the ground and shit"
I walked away mumbling Fn upsides shoot you Fn pussies shoot your Fn pussy guns like pussies.
[wink]

So the special operators went about their business all happy with their torso size groups at 50 yards.

It's hard getting new shooters to go.

From the CMP Rulebook. That being said, the rules at Pembroke are a little more relaxed. You might just have to deal with some extra ribbing from Franco :)

"Alternatively, the rifle may be equipped with issue-type metallic frontand rear sights. Metallic sights, if used, must have an M16 type sightdesign with the rear sight in the carry handle and the front sight instandard M16 location

Butt-stocks may vary in length and be either fixed or adjustable.Adjustable length stocks are permitted, but butt stocks that allow forother adjustments such as the cheek-piece height or butt-plate locationmay not be used"

Ah, I missed the carry handle part. At least standard carry handles for a flat top are relatively cheap.

It's a shame that so few will try a match. CMP MM is about as user-friendly as possible.

Last edited:
Other than one guy who needs it for medical reasons, I'm the about the only one who I've ever seen use the prone station at my club (which doubles for kneeling, etc.). I rarely see others shoot offhand either. Pretty much an overwhelming amount of people shooting from the bench. No disrespect to them, but that's not my thing. Many of them are older folks so I understand if it's hard for them to do otherwise (physical limitations). But I don't understand the 30-40 year olds that come in with scoped ARs and shoot 40 rounds as fast as they can at 75 yard plates and then go. Other than blowing off steam, what does that accomplish? If it's home defense/confrontation training or something like that, I don't imagine in a real life scenario you'd be setup on a bench...

I always wanted to try matches but didn't know how. I am guessing it's part of my nature to turn things into games and friendly competitions. After one match you figure out how to do it, now I'd feel confident scoring in the pits and I can get slung up, do the SLED, etc. Having Franco or someone else guide you through a match is all you need, and it's a huge help the first time. So being new is no excuse, everyone is helpful.

My only mistakes in procedure were forgetting to take the SLED out for rapids, and then to put it back in for offhand.

I got a verbal commit from a friend last year but he said he couldn't make last Sunday so we will see. He has an M1A so maybe he would do a MM and/or an M1 if he can be persuaded in September.

My only other guess is that people are worried about being "found out" - i.e., they think they are tier 3 operator level and don't want to be "exposed" in a match. I think it definitely improves your skills though.

Ah, I missed the carry handle part. At least standard carry handles for a flat top are relatively cheap.

It's a shame that so few will try a match. CMP MM is about as user-friendly as possible.

I think eventually they're probably going to have to allow for a 4x optic though. My company (Kilo, Plt.3005) was the last to qualify with iron sights on Parris Island at the end of 2011...that's almost 6 years of Marines that don't know how to use iron sights, and 6 years of Marines that are probably buying 4x optics for their own personal rifles as well.

Other than one guy who needs it for medical reasons, I'm the about the only one who I've ever seen use the prone station at my club (which doubles for kneeling, etc.). I rarely see others shoot offhand either. Pretty much an overwhelming amount of people shooting from the bench. No disrespect to them, but that's not my thing. Many of them are older folks so I understand if it's hard for them to do otherwise (physical limitations). But I don't understand the 30-40 year olds that come in with scoped ARs and shoot 40 rounds as fast as they can at 75 yard plates and then go. Other than blowing off steam, what does that accomplish? If it's home defense/confrontation training or something like that, I don't imagine in a real life scenario you'd be setup on a bench...

I always wanted to try matches but didn't know how. I am guessing it's part of my nature to turn things into games and friendly competitions. After one match you figure out how to do it, now I'd feel confident scoring in the pits and I can get slung up, do the SLED, etc. Having Franco or someone else guide you through a match is all you need, and it's a huge help the first time. So being new is no excuse, everyone is helpful.

My only mistakes in procedure were forgetting to take the SLED out for rapids, and then to put it back in for offhand.

I got a verbal commit from a friend last year but he said he couldn't make last Sunday so we will see. He has an M1A so maybe he would do a MM and/or an M1 if he can be persuaded in September.

My only other guess is that people are worried about being "found out" - i.e., they think they are tier 3 operator level and don't want to be "exposed" in a match. I think it definitely improves your skills though.

I shot a lot as a kid/teen then took aprox 10 year break with abot 500 rounds shot (plinking ) in those ten years. in 2005 the garands came back up for sale so i jumped om one then a few more and got back into shooting. My first match in 2005 with my SG SA and HXP was a whoping 275/500! at 100 yards. pretty bumbed out as I "used" to shoot better than that. Then after a year or so my scores crept up. That same gun with HXP i can get into the 430s with reloads I might pick up 5-12 points. Honestly tough it took me a good three years to shoot consistently in the 400 plus range. Only since my M1 builld with new barrel and new well fitting stock 2 years ago (which over the past 10 years i have been learning more about getting a M1 to shoot "better") did i break into the 440+

three things that really help me improve.
Dry Fire at home in position just like im shootng a match. Even put my jacket on. I place a 3/8 dot at about 20' and this is pretty darn close to the sight picture.
Nateral Point of Aim--- hard to explain quickly here
Accepting and repeating your sight picture.
Front sight focus
Sling use
Trigger control
learning to breath and not to rush.

There is no shortage of help at a cmp/nra match
If you want to try match even if you dont have ANY equipment there is always people willing to help.

When I had more expendable money i use to pay for new shooters matches for the M1.

Last edited:
Side note...what does it take to shoot a club gun? Do you rent them? Who has to clean/lubricate them? Might be able to get more people involved if I can get them some info on club guns. Also, is ammo still available at the club even though HXP is dried up? I can always send them to pick up some American Eagle for Garand, but it kinda kills the selling point of this being 'fun' when the day costs almost $60 just for one match with the cost of commercial ammo.

Nateral Point of Aim--- hard to explain quickly here

At Braintree CMP we have a clinic before our match where each shooter is individually coached by the experienced shooters.

How I explain NPA, take a GI Joe with a rifle. His rifle only points one way relative to his body. If he wanted to change where the rifle hits, his entire body needs to be moved. He is unable to move his rifle separate to his body.

Then I get them in prone position, have them close their eyes, wiggle the rifle, open eyes and see where the rifle points. Any adjustment is then made by moving the body.

Side note...what does it take to shoot a club gun? Do you rent them? Who has to clean/lubricate them? Might be able to get more people involved if I can get them some info on club guns. Also, is ammo still available at the club even though HXP is dried up? I can always send them to pick up some American Eagle for Garand, but it kinda kills the selling point of this being 'fun' when the day costs almost $60 just for one match with the cost of commercial ammo.

They show up, buy the club ammo and use the club rifle. The club takes care of maintaining the rifles. Old Colony has some of the best club M1s out there.

Back
Top Bottom