• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Combat rations of 20 armies around the world

You better not be hungry in the Thai army. That's a sorry excuse for a ration.
The french have become pussies. No more little bottles of booze, no more cigarettes. How are you supposed to fight properly without alcohol and smokes?

Last edited:
They make them sound more appealing than they are. I was flying a plane full of Slovenians some years back, and their food smelled and look similar to cat food. They also had me load 6 dozen loaves of bread, which nobody seemed to touch.

ha ha, Russian one is total PR bullshit. Also in Ukrainian kit the can "tourist's breakfast" - a notorious rat poison that wasn't not even eaten during the soviet times. I bet a bottle of vodka that those are just relabeled cans from Soviet era [rofl]

You better not be hungry in the Thai army. That's a sorry excuse for a ration.
The french have become pussies. No more little bottles of booze, no more cigarettes. How are you supposed to fight properly without alcohol and smokes?

During WWI French were rationing red wine to soldier's, right?

During battle of Stalingrad, the only "food" airdroped to surrounded troops with parachutes was vodka. Everything else was just dropped without wasting parachutes. Comrades knew their priorities straight [laugh]

Yep, all that stuff SOUNDS good... Until you're suposed to eat it. Or shit it out, for that matter. I remember a couple of severe cases of constipation in the field. After sniper school, we were allowed to put our own food together, so cans of ravioli and cassoulet it was. Those beans in the cassoulet were blockage proof, I can tell you that.

That stuff from Holland is incorrect. That's the cold weather package... The breakfast on that is unbeatable tho.. the regular rations are junk!

Yep, all that stuff SOUNDS good... Until you're suposed to eat it. Or shit it out, for that matter. I remember a couple of severe cases of constipation in the field. After sniper school, we were allowed to put our own food together, so cans of ravioli and cassoulet it was. Those beans in the cassoulet were blockage proof, I can tell you that.

There are a couple meals that are good, but even those don't come out easily.

Cheese Tortellini is the best hands down. I will eat one every meal for an entire field op. Peanut butter crackers, reeses or M&Ms, ooh-rah bar, spiced apple pieces, and essentially chefboyardi pasta.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom