Competition gun running pretty reliably, time to eff with it some more

I find a malfunction during competition adds to the adrenaline effects and enhances muscle memory. Great for training. This why I shoot a 1911.
I must be buying the wrong 1911's. I have 3 and don't recall ever having a malfunction. I have a cheap one, a mid tier and a top tier.
Admittedly, none have gone 1000 rounds without a cleaning and lube.

I must be buying the wrong 1911's. I have 3 and don't recall ever having a malfunction. I have a cheap one, a mid tier and a top tier.
Admittedly, none have gone 1000 rounds without a cleaning and lube.
My malfunctions were mostly due to owner farting around with upgrades and replacing worn parts as well as a few mag related issues. Im better now.

F80A06D3-D540-4AF4-8DE7-80CAC78ACABF.jpeg Weak primer strikes, although sufficient to fire the rounds using CCI primers. Likely striker drag on the trigger bar. This is with a 4.5lbs striker spring and a light weight striker. 13lbs recoil spring was having trouble fully returning to battery with the striker fully set using the Timney Alpha. Will try a 15 lbs spring.

These were fired from my stock G17. Notice the strong striker marks. 0EBC1714-5D7E-425D-B6CC-C80A8F197091.jpeg

Reliability is boring, you gotta spice it up. Don't even function check it, just go to the match and let 'er rip. Will it work? Will it go click? Will it run away in full auto? The anticipation is going to make you hard as a rock when you hear "load and make ready".
Others in attendance will surely appreciate the show if things go horribly wrong, gun people are also known for their understanding of self induced dangerous situations..

Did a check to see if there was any trigger bar interference. Took off back plate and pulled the trigger slowly until the striker was released. Holding the trigger at that release point I rode the striker forward and there was no contact between the striker and the trigger bar. Any marks on the trigger bar must be during reset.

So what I have is simply an imbalance between the recoil spring and the striker spring. The light strikes were a symptom of not fully returning to battery. This imbalance is magnified by the Timney system’s “cocked” striker. Currently running 13lbs recoil spring and 4.5 striker spring. Ordered 4lbs striker spring and 15lbs recoil spring to try different combos. Already using a light weight striker. My present spring combo always set off the rounds, but occasionally I had issues returning to battery.

I measured a few different striker springs using a Lyman digital trigger pull gauge. With the slide off the frame I set the trigger pull gauge on the striker extension and pulled it back until the striker was at the point where it would be when released by the sear. With a 4.5lbs spring in the gun that was causing out of battery issues with the 13lbs recoil spring I got a pull weight of 4lbs 11oz. A new 4.5 spring produced similar results. With a new 4lbs spring I got a measurement of 4lbs 6 oz. After putting the slide back on the frame I checked to see if there was any hesitation to go into battery - so far there is none. Will live fire test tomorrow.

I measured a few different striker springs using a Lyman digital trigger pull gauge. With the slide off the frame I set the trigger pull gauge on the striker extension and pulled it back until the striker was at the point where it would be when released by the sear. With a 4.5lbs spring in the gun that was causing out of battery issues with the 13lbs recoil spring I got a pull weight of 4lbs 11oz. A new 4.5 spring produced similar results. With a new 4lbs spring I got a measurement of 4lbs 6 oz. After putting the slide back on the frame I checked to see if there was any hesitation to go into battery - so far there is none. Will live fire test tomorrow.
Good luck.

I ordered a Glock Competition Trigger. When it arrives then I’ll start messing with my competition G17. Or if I’m smart, I’ll leave that one alone and mess with the G34 backup first…

I ordered a Glock Competition Trigger. When it arrives then I’ll start messing with my competition G17. Or if I’m smart, I’ll leave that one alone and mess with the G34 backup first…
Magic Ball says - the competition 17’s on the bench.

Yeah, backup gun’s whai I consider essential gear for uspsa.

My 34 & 17:
1682011640875.jpeg

Wild guess, but probably a battery cover wrench.

Does anyone know if it works better than the SRO Tool?

What's the red one made of? I already have two of the SRO Tools and I've never used one, but now all of a sudden I need one of the cool looking red ones...

Does anyone know if it works better than the SRO Tool?

What's the red one made of? I already have two of the SRO Tools and I've never used one, but now all of a sudden I need one of the cool looking red ones...
Plastic.

Never heard of sto tool you show - now i need one… 😂

The gun ran flawlessly and fast. Did a few Bill drills, some el presidentes and a 5x5.with a 17.44 raw time which was effed up by 1.75 draws and a poor reload. My dropped shots were just outside of the -0 zone.

Back
Top Bottom