• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Compliant Sig P220 Variations

I think there are plenty of used Sig P220’s around for sale in MA if you’re patient. I’ve had two, still own my Scorpion Sig 220. Love it for what it is, a full size metal framed double/single. Single action shoots like a dream. Only thing I may change is to replace the trigger with a flat gray guns trigger as I’ve done in most of my Glocks and AR’s.

View attachment 634479
Very nice!

I don’t understand the stupidity, it’s literally the same gun with a “ma**h***” like you said lol.
Do you want to own a gun that instantly reminds you of slavery/imprisonment? 🤣

Thats what an "M" sig is. Scarlet Letter gun.

It's bad enough i live in MA, don't want to be reminded of it every time I open my safe.

I have big problems with "guns especially for MA" no thanks.

Mine is old. I bought it before all this Ma bullshit. If you ever shoot at Harvard, you're welcome to shoot it to see if you like it or not.

10 mm is a great caliber and I have one but I don't think it's better than .45acp until you get beyond 100 yards. Few of us shoot handguns beyond 100 yards. If you reload, finding .45 brass on the ground at the club is pretty common. Not so with 10mm. Lots of .40 S&W but not much 10mm.

The 10mm one.

After you buy that, you can buy something in granpa's caliber. You might as well get granpa's gun in that caliber.

If they just made a 10mm 220 maybe. But it's even bigger than the .45 version. And yet only holds 8 rounds.

I bet it's nice but the concept disgusts me. Should be the same form factor as a 220 yet holding 9 or 10 rounds in a standard magazine.

I like my 10mm, it's heavy & only 8 rounds sucks. I wish it was a double stack
I prefer the sao over the da/sa, I don't know why they don't come with the flat trigger on the sao like the 226 does
IMG_20220611_190703.jpg

I have two P220s: The P220 Legion and the P220 Match Elite in 10mm. Both are nice guns but the P220 elite in 10mm is actually my favorite handgun and the one I shoot the best. I’ve given it the full Gray Guns treatment so it a great target gun. The stainless steal frame of the 10mm adds over half a pound to the weight of a normal P220 and that makes it a pretty soft shooting 10mm. The form factor of the P220 in 10mm is exactly the same as the .45. They just use stainless steel for the frame instead of aluminum to better handle the increased forces of the 10mm.

If you want to consider another Sig in .45 you should look at the P227. It’s a “double stacked” (in quotes since it is still only 10 rounds) .45 based on the P226. I have the P227 Equinox and it’s another great .45. Took the E2 grip off it and put on a pair of Sig G10s. It’s a bit rarer than a P220.

Also, when you look at Sigs make sure that the seller isn’t confusing the “short reach trigger” with the “short reset trigger”. The short reach trigger is just a different shaped trigger bow that reduces the reach to the trigger for those with small hands. The short reset trigger is actually a sear and a safety lever (plus a decocking lever for the P220) that significantly reduces the trigger reset.

ETA And only a couple of my Sigs are the “MA compliant” versions with the LCI. Neither of the P220s or the P227 are.

Last edited:
I have two P220s: The P220 Legion and the P220 Match Elite in 10mm. Both are nice guns but the P220 elite in 10mm is actually my favorite handgun and the one I shoot the best. I’ve given it the full Gray Guns treatment so it a great target gun. The stainless steal frame of the 10mm adds over half a pound to the weight of a normal P220 and that makes it a pretty soft shooting 10mm. The form factor of the P220 in 10mm is exactly the same as the .45. They just use stainless steel for the frame instead of aluminum to better handle the increased forces of the 10mm.

If you want to consider another Sig in .45 you should look at the P227. It’s a “double stacked” (in quotes since it is still only 10 rounds) .45 based on the P226. I have the P227 Equinox and it’s another great .45. Took the E2 grip off it and put on a pair of Sig G10s. It’s a bit rarer than a P220.

Also, when you look at Sigs make sure that the seller isn’t confusing the “short reach trigger” with the “short reset trigger”. The short reach trigger is just a different shaped trigger bow that reduces the reach to the trigger for those with small hands. The short reset trigger is actually a sear and a safety lever (plus a decocking lever for the P220) that significantly reduces the trigger reset.

ETA And only a couple of my Sigs are the “MA compliant” versions with the LCI. Neither of the P220s or the P227 are.

No they are not same size as the .45. The 10mm version is 1 inch longer oal, with a barrel that's .6 inches longer.

No they are not same size as the .45. The 10mm version is 1 inch longer oal, with a barrel that's .6 inches longer.
Yeah, I was thinking more of the frames. With mine the only difference I see is the 10mm’s slightly longer barrel/slide. The OAL of the 10mm is 8.3” and of the .45 is 7.7 ", the difference is the extra .6” of the 10mm’s barrel length (5.0” vs 4.4”). The frames are pretty much the same. ETA Of course the 10mm is made of SS not aluminum.
IMG_3230.jpg IMG_3231.jpg IMG_3233.jpg

Last edited:
Who cares if it's on some bullshit list or not, find someone to sell you one and buy it. Do you think the average LEO is going to know which of the metric shit-ton of variations Sig puts out is on some list or not if they're checking your LTC?
What a LEO thinks doesn't matter.

The list DOES NOT make guns illegal.

I don’t understand the stupidity, it’s literally the same gun with a “ma**h***” like you said lol.
MA guns are g@y. For more reasons than just a serial number.

Take for example the 365 free State version vs the POS with a safety they want you to buy here.

I never carry guns with a safety. Guess which 365 I own.

If you're not carrying it, the size doesn't matter much.

Sure, but the 220 in .45 is pretty big to begin with - I'm sure they are nice, I just wish they didn't make the 10mm version bigger. I'd probably own one if they didn't do it that way.

I think Glock has the right idea by offering the 29, 20, and 40. Basically they give you choices - Sig is starting to though, think it's coming in the 320? Just very far behind. I'd like to see it in a 229/"compact" DA/SA.

Sig says 8.8 for 10mm, 7.7 for .45.
Might be that the Legion 10mm is bigger, but for sure my P220 Match Elite in 10mm is 8.3. All I can go by is what I have in hand, and I can say that the P220 Legion in .45 and the P220 Match Elite in 10mm have identically sized frames. Just one is in steel.

Sure, but the 220 in .45 is pretty big to begin with - I'm sure they are nice, I just wish they didn't make the 10mm version bigger. I'd probably own one if they didn't do it that way.

I think Glock has the right idea by offering the 29, 20, and 40. Basically they give you choices - Sig is starting to though, think it's coming in the 320? Just very far behind. I'd like to see it in a 229/"compact" DA/SA.
Lol the 320 has had like 4 diff size factors since release. Sub, Compact, Carry + Full or something. Only diff on the last 2 is barrel + slide length. Grip Frame's the same.

Might be that the Legion 10mm is bigger, but for sure my P220 Match Elite in 10mm is 8.3. All I can go by is what I have in hand, and I can say that the P220 Legion in .45 and the P220 Match Elite in 10mm have identically sized frames. Just one is in steel.

Yeah very well could be .3 or .8, easy typo to make. But it's bigger basically.

Frames sure could be the same, weight aside.

Put the barrels and slides on there dude :)..

Top, .45, bottom 10mm.

View attachment 634634

View attachment 634633
See my post number 40. The frames are the same, the 10mm has a .6 “ longer barrel and slide. That is the only difference between my two. That’s all I’ve been saying, the frames are the same, so the fit of the gun to my hand is exactly the same. The 10mm is definitely heaver (steal vs aluminum) but that heavier frame helps balance out the longer (and heaver barrel). I can’t speak to the Legion version, since I don’t own one so it might have a larger frame.

See my post number 40. The frames are the same, the 10mm has a .6 “ longer barrel and slide. That is the only difference between my two. That’s all I’ve been saying, the frames are the same, so the fit of the gun to my hand is exactly the same. The 10mm is definitely heaver (steal vs aluminum) but that heavier frame helps balance out the longer (and heaver barrel). I can’t speak to the Legion version, since I don’t own one so it might have a larger frame.

Yeah I gotcha. Thanks for the comparison.

No, sorry i failed to derive the full context of your post.

None of this matters anyways, unless the sales figs for the smith M&P 10mm spike, Sig is not going to bother doing this. Most 10mm people have already picked their lanes and the polymer lane is very firmly in glock land. If Sig (barely? At all? ) supports 45 ACP with the P320 platform I don't think 10mm is in the cards.

Yeah I gotcha. Thanks for the comparison.
And now that we got that settle out, the weight of the 10mm would, in my mind, make it even more impossible to carry than the standard aluminum model. It makes a really good bullseye gun, but that’s about it. Too heavy for much else.

And now that we got that settle out, the weight of the 10mm would, in my mind, make it even more impossible to carry than the standard aluminum model. It makes a really good bullseye gun, but that’s about it. Too heavy for much else.
How heavy are we talking?

No, sorry i failed to derive the full context of your post.

None of this matters anyways, unless the sales figs for the smith M&P 10mm spike, Sig is not going to bother doing this. Most 10mm people have already picked their lanes and the polymer lane is very firmly in glock land. If Sig (barely? At all? ) supports 45 ACP with the P320 platform I don't think 10mm is in the cards.

Here's what Sig is doing on the 320... 15 rounds (cool). OAL 8.5 inches (WTF).

Granted I think I've read 10mm likes more barrel to reach its potential, Sig seems to feel this market is limited to hunters and serious "long range" target shooters only, who split hairs over that.

Yeah I get it, but I'd probably own a DA/SA Sig in 10mm and not a Glock 20, or maybe even a 320 in 10mm some day, if they just provided 10+ rounds in a normal sized pistol. They aren't gonna compete in any other market by only offering them in "full size plus".

Granted I think I've read 10mm likes more barrel to reach its potential, Sig seems to feel this market is limited to hunters and serious "long range" target shooters only, who split hairs over that.

Yeah I get it, but I'd probably own a DA/SA Sig in 10mm and not a Glock 20, or maybe even a 320 in 10mm some day, if they just provided 10+ rounds in a normal sized pistol. They aren't gonna compete in any other market by only offering them in "full size plus".

Glock 29 says hello 👋🏼.

95% of all new 10mm handguns are all marketed towards hunters. The size and sight radius are a preference of that market for better or worse.

These are woods guns not daily carry for most.

Back
Top Bottom