• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Compliant Sig P220 Variations

95% of all new 10mm handguns are all marketed towards hunters. The size and sight radius are a preference of that market for better or worse.

These are woods guns not daily carry for most.

Yeah I do get it, what they are thinking, but say a Glock 29 - they are pretty popular. A Glock 20 very much so and most of us didn't buy those for hunting or even serious target shooting. The Glock 40 if anything is the oddball outlier, still are out there but likely the least common of the other 2 - that's the only use case Sig is seeing (god bless Glock!).

10mm in my mind is the modern .45, both a standard and reliable autoloader round, for those who possibly want to carry the most powerful auto that's not stupid wierd (ie desert eagle). That's a use case too, "I'm scared of black bears/raccoons, so I always carry my 10mm to dairy queen in North Conway". Or just folks who want to do their damndest to make sure whatever they shoot down stays that way.

It happens to be 10mm is also a great target caliber (and hey for target, 5.7 I think does all the same too)... and of course it's a hell of a hunting round where 5.7 certainly isn't. Just isn't the only reason it exists.

Yeah I do get it, what they are thinking, but say a Glock 29 - they are pretty popular.

Maybe among 10mm guys, sure, but average population of gun buyers? not really. And for those 10mm guys that pretty much sops up the market for that kind of
gun. Because nobody else showed up the G20 and G29s became king by default.

A Glock 20 very much so and most of us didn't buy those for hunting or even serious target shooting. The Glock 40 if anything is the oddball outlier, still are out there but likely the least common of the other 2 - that's the only use case Sig is seeing (god bless Glock!).

Glock has a tradition of not dumping a market, at least. I think their cost to leave guns in a given market is only incremental, which helps.

10mm in my mind is the modern .45,

"No, it's not".

Never in a million years. Two totally different cartridges. Nobody cross shops a 10 with a 45 most of the time, or vice versa. Not even once.

reliable autoloader round, for those who possibly want to carry the most powerful auto that's not stupid wierd (ie desert eagle).

That's basically it in a nutshell. The entire thing right there.

It happens to be 10mm is also a great target caliber (and hey for target, 5.7 I think does all the same too)... and of course it's a hell of a hunting round where 5.7 certainly isn't. Just isn't the only reason it exists.
Not what I would pick generically for any kind of target shooting beyond "I am shooting 10mm because I like it". Otherwise in practice? nope.

And I say that as someone who likes the caliber, but its not practical for generalized "farting around".

For things like pins and plates .45 is usually much better because of the projectile mass and diameter. Back when I would shoot pins we would have a few 10mm guys but basically unless you were running some 200 grainers or something you were basically just punishing yourself with cost and recoil. I shot my Delta on pins. One match. I think I made it about half the day before I switched back.

There's also the brass problem if you reload.

Losing 10mm brass is like getting kicked in the nuts.

Losing .45 ACP or 9mm brass to the rats = no big deal.

This is an issue if you go compete in various "target" disciplines and dont want to run around like a retard scooping up brass after your run (and still losing some anyways).

Then again if your idea of target shooting is square range, paper then sure its probably fine. 10mm is not what I would use for that, even.

I like shooting my G20 Gen4 but it's not the gun I pick up when a friend calls and wants to do some random target shooting or even go to a pin or plate match
etc. 10mm is really on its own island.

Maybe among 10mm guys, sure, but average population of gun buyers? not really. And for those 10mm guys that pretty much sops up the market for that kind of
gun. Because nobody else showed up the G20 and G29s became king by default.

Glock has a tradition of not dumping a market, at least. I think their cost to leave guns in a given market is only incremental, which helps.

"No, it's not".

Never in a million years. Two totally different cartridges. Nobody cross shops a 10 with a 45 most of the time, or vice versa. Not even once.

That's basically it in a nutshell. The entire thing right there.

Not what I would pick generically for any kind of target shooting beyond "I am shooting 10mm because I like it". Otherwise in practice? nope.

And I say that as someone who likes the caliber, but its not practical for generalized "farting around".

For things like pins and plates .45 is usually much better because of the projectile mass and diameter. Back when I would shoot pins we would have a few 10mm guys but basically unless you were running some 200 grainers or something you were basically just punishing yourself with cost and recoil. I shot my Delta on pins. One match. I think I made it about half the day before I switched back.

There's also the brass problem if you reload.

Losing 10mm brass is like getting kicked in the nuts.

Losing .45 ACP or 9mm brass to the rats = no big deal.

This is an issue if you go compete in various "target" disciplines and dont want to run around like a retard scooping up brass after your run (and still losing some anyways).

Then again if your idea of target shooting is square range, paper then sure its probably fine. 10mm is not what I would use for that, even.

I like shooting my G20 Gen4 but it's not the gun I pick up when a friend calls and wants to do some random target shooting or even go to a pin or plate match
etc. 10mm is really on its own island.
Though for some strange reason I shoot the 10mm P220 really well. I wish I knew why so I could apply it to my other handguns. I shoot it better than my P210 and X5 Legion, both of which should be much easier to shoot.

ETA And just to be clear, I do not shoot my Springfield 1911 TRP Operator Long Slide 10mm particularly well at all. And it’s just as heavy as the P220.

ETA And just to be clear, I do not shoot my Springfield 1911 TRP Operator Long Slide 10mm particularly well at all. And it’s just as heavy as the P220.
That's what I was curious about. All this talk about how heavy the 10mm pistol is, and then it's within spitting distance of the 1911...which is still a common carry pistol for many.

That's what I was curious about. All this talk about how heavy the 10mm pistol is, and then it's within spitting distance of the 1911...which is still a common carry pistol for many.
I’m sure it’s a personal preference thing. My EDC is a P229, which at over 2 pounds loaded, lots of folks would say is too heavy. But for me, 3 pounds is too much for EDC.

Back
Top Bottom