• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Conceal carry and traffic stops

This is a question for LEOs only.

If you pull me over and I am carrying, how do you want it to go down?

I realize you are doing your job and I respect that, so my normal course of action would be to have my hands at 10:2 palms on the wheel, fingers up, and wait for your request I.e. license and reg.
but what if I am carrying? Do you want me to inform you immediately, wait for you to ask or say nothing?

I am not looking for the haters and zealots to respond I just want to hear the opinion of LEOs as I am carrying more and more often and want to feel comfortable that if I am in the situation it has the best outcome for all involved.

MAdness
Excersize your rights, often.

Not a LEO but they know you have ltc when they run your plate, assuming it is your vehicle. I would imagine they approach every stop with the belief that there are firearms in vehicle just to keep on their toes.

Not an LEO either but this question has been asked a million times, and LEO's have answered a million times.

Dude, keep your mouth shut, don't act like a friggin goober, and resist the urge to shop at attentionwhore.com and don't buy that " I am carrying a gun" hat.

You know what happens if you get pulled over carrying? Nothing.

Now,if they ask you to step out of the car, or if you have any weapons on you, you should answer " I am licensed to carry and my carry gun is on my right hip"

Not a LEO but they know you have ltc when they run your plate, assuming it is your vehicle. I would imagine they approach every stop with the belief that there are firearms in vehicle just to keep on their toes.

How can that be. My wife and kids drive cars that are registered to me, so they can't know this from the plates. Maybe when they run the driver license. ..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk 2

No need to bring it up unless you're 1)asked about it 2)asked to step out of your vehicle 3)carrying in states like Ohio, Alaska, Oklahoma, etc. where you're required to notify the LEO during the stop.

As a LEO I could care less if your carrying legally, if you want to tell me your carrying thats cool, ill just tell you to keep it where its at while were talking, i'll probably start talking guns with you lol

I am leo and this is my preference.

Put your windows down, interior light on and place both hands on the wheel. When asked for license and registration inform the officer you are carrying and have a license to carry. Then ask how the officer would like to proceed.

Anytime that I have ever stopped someone with a ltc and they informed me that they were carrying I have never issued more than a written warning.

I know that if someone has a ltc that they generally have a clean record.

And prior to belief I can not tell who has a ltc and who doesn't when I run the plate unless they are a resident of the town I work for. And its not readily apparent, I have to go looking for that info.

Your millage may vary and this is just my opinion.[smile]

I am LEO.........this is your best bet

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry , I was referring to "Fencer's" post

I remember when I was in a hunters safety course here in NH. They had a guest speaker that was a retired state trooper.
The subject came up and he says,
"If you get pulled over, you put your hands on the window and you tell that officer you are armed!"
I asked if that was a law. He say "No, it's what you should do"
He was talking in the usual "I'm a cop and you must respect my authoratay" voice.
"Well, if it's not the law, you should probably go f*** yourself then"

No need to bring it up unless you're 1)asked about it 2)asked to step out of your vehicle 3)carrying in states like Ohio, Alaska, Oklahoma, etc. where you're required to notify the LEO during the stop.

This.

I've been stopped multiple times in MA while carrying. They didn't ask. I didn't volunteer. They gave me a warning. I thanked the officer. End of story.

Also, carry in such a way that you can get to your wallet without flashing your gun. If you are carrying in a holster on your right hip, then don't carry your wallet in your right rear pocket.

This is a question for LEOs only.

If you pull me over and I am carrying, how do you want it to go down?

I realize you are doing your job and I respect that, so my normal course of action would be to have my hands at 10:2 palms on the wheel, fingers up, and wait for your request I.e. license and reg.
but what if I am carrying? Do you want me to inform you immediately, wait for you to ask or say nothing?

I am not looking for the haters and zealots to respond I just want to hear the opinion of LEOs as I am carrying more and more often and want to feel comfortable that if I am in the situation it has the best outcome for all involved.

MAdness
Excersize your rights, often.
Oh, yeah, tons of LEO's are going to hang around this forum so they can listen to the carping. Try Masscops.

Quote Originally Posted by devenob View Post
As a LEO I could care less if your carrying legally, if you want to tell me your carrying thats cool, ill just tell you to keep it where its at while were talking, i'll probably start talking guns with you lol

This

Dude, keep your mouth shut, don't act like a friggin goober, and resist the urge to shop at attentionwhore.com and don't buy that " I am carrying a gun" hat.

You know what happens if you get pulled over carrying? Nothing.

Now,if they ask you to step out of the car, or if you have any weapons on you, you should answer " I am licensed to carry and my carry gun is on my right hip"

Winner.
We are taught to think everyone has a gun. Use common sense, too easy.

Keep hands on the steering wheel. Be respectful and know that traffic stops are one of the most dangerous things for law enforcement to do-pucker factor is high. But also know your 5th amendment rights.

When the cop runs you're license " active ltc" comes up. I didn't say anything when I was pulled over and neither did the cop.

No need to say anything about it until there's a REASON to say something about it.......so unless the cuffs are being put on you should keep your mouth shut

Unless you are in a state where you are required by law to notify you keep your mouth shut.....would you feel a need to inform the officer that there's a chainsaw, baseball bat or butter knife in the vehicle? No? Them why the freak would you start blabbering about the inanimate object that is a firearm?

With that said......if you get pulled over you should shut off the vehicle, keep your hands on the wheel where they can be seen and dont act like a douche.

Your obligations to answer questions begin and end with license and registration.

If for some reason you're told to get out of the car for a sobriety test then do so and lock the car after you get out......make it clear you're not submitting to a search of the vehicle without a warrant and PC.

Other than that if the officer is on a fishing expedition then stick to standard fare....."Am I being detained?"......"Am I free to go?"

You DONT have to roll down your window and have a conversation......you DO have to crack it and hand over license/reg/etc

Running a license plate or driver's license will not notify the officer you have an active LTC. There are certain exceptions, some agencies use software that will notify the officer if the person they run is a resident of that specific town and the LTC was issued by that agency.

Running a license plate or driver's license will not notify the officer you have an active LTC. There are certain exceptions, some agencies use software that will notify the officer if the person they run is a resident of that specific town and the LTC was issued by that agency.

CJISweb has rolled out to many departments. That software will tell the officer of a LTC on the first query screen even if issued by a different town.

my shocked face [shocked] that Mass doesn't require this

my shocked face [shocked] that Mass doesn't require this

The MA carry permit system has historically been, and remains, "may issue". This dates from a day when "suitable person" meant "not black or other minority" and there was no worry about so-called respectable carrying.

Carry flys under the radar in MA for the most part. The states with recent carry permit laws are more likely to have things like must notify; binding signage; and expanded no carry zones. Michigan is a great example - when that state went from "may" to "shall" issue, additional "permit not valid" zones were added due to the specter of the unwashed massed going armed.

ok, what about after the stop, assuming it's known that I am carrying, what next? Let's say the cop is a hardo and wants me to clear it and put it on the dash or even worse, hand it to him? What then? I've read threads here where the driver says something like "lets both leave our guns in their holsters where they belong." Is that legit? If he tells me to hand it over or whatever, am I legally bound to? Is it prudent to, regardless of the legality? What I don't want is some SWAT wannabe screaming at me on the side of the road, pointing his own gun at me because I'm playing lawyer.

My FIL is a retired LEO and in my discussions with him he implied if he asked for it, I had to give it to him. I told him I didn't think that to be the case, but I don't know what the MGLs state.

Back
Top Bottom