• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Confirmed Food Life - Personal Experience In Long Term Storage

I’d love to start learning to hunt, but I kind of need a job right now lol.
It's always time or money, right? If you're not working (I'm assuming, and hope to be wrong) this seems like a perfect time to be in the woods as much as possible.
[...] Dinty Moore [...]
I'm sorry to hear that. [puke]

2000cc absorbers for 5gal.
Amazon product ASIN B086CWKVX1View: https://www.amazon.com/AwePackage-2000cc-Oxygen-Absorber-Storage/dp/B086CWKVX1/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=9H7G9C3GYE4I&dchild=1&keywords=2000cc+oxygen+absorbers&qid=1633968812&sprefix=2000cc+&sr=8-4

1000cc for 2.5gal
Amazon product ASIN B08G879RKTView: https://www.amazon.com/wisedry-1000CC-Absorbers-Dehydrated-Storage/dp/B08G879RKT/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=1000cc+oxygen+absorbers&qid=1633968851&sr=8-6

I do not alter based on what's in bucket/bag.

DO NOT put an 02 absorber in the bucket, outside the mylar bag. And DO squeeze or vacuum out as much air as possible from the mylar before you seal it. I squeeze.

If you do not follow the above you WILL collapse a bucket or break it because that O2 absorber will vacuum the bucket in on itself. Good luck getting the lid off after that starts to happen.

If someone wants a video, I can make a bucket and film it start to finish sometime in the next month.

I was thinking about doing the same thing. Good to know if I get to lazy to pull out the GoPro that someone else may be getting around to it.

It's always time or money, right? If you're not working (I'm assuming, and hope to be wrong) this seems like a perfect time to be in the woods as much as possible.

I'm sorry to hear that. [puke]
Hey, at least it’s not Alpo chunks.

Is there a vacuum sealer recommendation somewhere in this thread?

I just got one at Walmart. Food Saver brand. You can also vacuum seal by using Ziploc bags, putting the meat in, and then slowly dunking it into water until you are at the top of the bag just above the waterline, and then close it, it’s a quick and easy way to do it without buying a vacuum sealer, or at least until you get one.

So are there types of pasta to avoid that might puncture the mylar bag when it squeezes down or is that not a factor?
I actually don’t know how pasta reacts. My family is mostly gluten free so the type of pasta that keeps is out of the question for us. I wouldn’t think it would puncture it though. Depends on the thickness of the Mylar I suppose. 8mil is pretty tough stuff, drop down to 4mil and it’s still sufficient but feels a lot thinner.

Last edited:
I might be overthinking it, but every time I have mylar/O2ed pasta, it's been spaghetti because there's less dead air space so I can fit more weight in the same volume bag. No breakage issues in the ones I've used.

So are there types of pasta to avoid that might puncture the mylar bag when it squeezes down or is that not a factor?

I have spaghetti stored. I stack it vertically by laying the bucket with (mylar bag in) on its side and filling it. You can pack the whole diameter then stand it up, throw O2 in and fold the top over.

I haven't had any punctures.

Attachments

• 20151117_211057.jpg
    20151117_211057.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20150622_13425.jpg
    IMG_20150622_13425.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 9
Is there a vacuum sealer recommendation somewhere in this thread?

Did anyone tell you to get a chamber sealer yet? If not, I will.

Get a chamber sealer. Oil pump.

And then get a 'heavy duty' standard vac sealer.

Chamber sealer bags are much cheaper for your every-day or large-batch storage needs. Wife and I will prep up to 50lbs of ground chicken for our pup at a time, never an issue with the chamber vac needing to rest.

Standard vac sealers require specific bags/rolls that are more expensive. Use this for items that do not fit in a 10x13 bag or so, as well as for vacuum sealing mason jars.

Pump: No maintenance, dry rocker vacuum pump

Uses the same style pump as the foodsaver type sealers with the benefit of cheap bags. I don't have experience with this particular model though the others I've used with similar pumps generally had a cool-down period. I think this was more related to the sealer bar overheating, at least that was the language used in the manual. Longevity was an issue.

Back
Top Bottom