Constitutional Carry in Maine (Becomes Effective 10/14/15)

Constitutional Carry in Maine

The senate is voting on LD652 today. The House might be on Friday!!!!! If you have not contacted your state reps yet and asked them to support LD652, then now is the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What would this mean for Mass Residents? Would we still need to obtain Maine Non Resident CCW permits, or would the Constitutional Carry be for Residents and Non Residents?

Everything is subject to change until it gets signed into law. Today is just the 2nd step in a multi-step process, as it would be in any state.

Meanwhile they have my app and $60 check for renewal in process now. I'm not counting my chickens!

It doesn't specify resident or non resident that I can see. Looks like if you aren't prohibited, it would allow concealed (and vehicle carry) without a license.

Summary​
This bill authorizes a person who is not prohibited from possessing a firearm to carry a concealed handgun without a permit. This bill also authorizes a person to possess a loaded pistol or revolver while in a motor vehicle or a trailer or other vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle.

What would this mean for Mass Residents? Would we still need to obtain Maine Non Resident CCW permits, or would the Constitutional Carry be for Residents and Non Residents?

It doesn't specify resident or non resident that I can see. Looks like if you aren't prohibited, it would allow concealed (and vehicle carry) without a license.

Summary​
This bill authorizes a person who is not prohibited from possessing a firearm to carry a concealed handgun without a permit. This bill also authorizes a person to possess a loaded pistol or revolver while in a motor vehicle or a trailer or other vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle.

Hey thanks! That is what I interpreted from the legislation, but the article saying otherwise through me off a little.

Baby bites to eat the elephant, is Friday the house?

- - - Updated - - -

I would love to see VT, NH, ME all be Constitutional Carry.
I would love to see Massachusetts "Carry"

21-14...not bad!

Now to the House next week. Call your reps.. it will be tight in the House and we need some Dem votes from the rural areas to come along. And as stated above, if LD652 passes unamended, any non-prohibited person (regardless of residency) over the age of 18 will be able to conceal carry with out a permit.

Last edited:
21-14...not bad!

Now to the House next week. Call your reps.. it will be tight in the House and we need some Dem votes from the rural areas to come along. And as stated above, if LD652 passes unamended, any non-prohibited person (regardless of residency) over the age of 18 will be able to conceal carry with out a permit.

What is the next steps when it comes to legislation? House has to vote, then it goes to governor's desk, and they ultimately have final decision?

The next step is for the House to votes most likely this week. Then it goes to the Gov. Then it will become law 90 days after the legislature adjourns. But the next hurdle is the House. Call your rep!!!!! LaPage has already said he will sign it. Did I say call your rep in the House? And call all of your progun friends and get them to call their reps!!!!!

I'm not fond of the "must notify on LE contact" provision however. If the officers grew up around guns, not likely a problem. If they are Mass transplants, I can see felony stops on notification!

I heard the Gov on the radio this am saying he would not approve it with the 21yr old ammendenment. He supports 18 yr.

I heard the Gov on the radio this am saying he would not approve it with the 21yr old ammendenment. He supports 18 yr.

If he can't get the 21 year dropped, wouldn't it be better to sign it into law as amended than to not sign it at all?

I think it has to go back to the Senate because of the amendments so we will have to see what the final version is. Evidently the amendemnt would allow 18-20 year olds can still carry concealed if you got the optional CCW permit(what is currently in use now). Not sure if the Governor knew that when he commented on the rad

If he can't get the 21 year dropped, wouldn't it be better to sign it into law as amended than to not sign it at all?

I do not like the must notify and I do not like excluding 18-20. But I do believe it should pass anyway and we can work on getting rid of the amendments next year. LaPage has 3+ years left. We have time.

Plus he said he would not sign it. He never said he would veto it. If he does not sign, then it becomes law anyway.

LD 652 was amended by the Senate again today. The first amendment changes the shall notify to exclude permit holders. The second amendment adopted today would include under 21 for CC if they are current or former military. This is expected to be good with the House and the Gov. Lets hope it is. The House should be voting on the new changes tomorrow.

Well that is it. the House voted in concurrence with the Senate changes. It is now just a formal vote of enactment in the Senate after it comes back from appropriations. It is a good chance that will all be done tomorrow. The Gov will sign it. 90 days after the Legislature adjourns, it becomes law. :). Thanks to all of you who made calls and helped in any way. We have righted a 100 year wrong today.

Last edited:
Lets hope it doesn't sit in appropriations to long as the try to figure out where their lost revenues from Class D and E fines come from..

Back
Top Bottom