Constitutional Carry in Maine (Becomes Effective 10/14/15)

So can someone tell me if we're good to go on carrying in Maine without a permit?? Whats this whole 90 day adjournment thing or is this people spouting off false information??

So can someone tell me if we're good to go on carrying in Maine without a permit??

Not yet.

Whats this whole 90 day adjournment thing or is this people spouting off false information??

Few laws actually go into effect on the day that they are signed. This one is no different. It will go into effect 90 days after the ME state legislature adjourns its session. So you have to wait until sometime in October. The exact date will be known once ME state legislature officially adjourns its session.

So can someone tell me if we're good to go on carrying in Maine without a permit?? Whats this whole 90 day adjournment thing or is this people spouting off false information??

Had you bothered to read a page or two back, you wouldn't be asking this, lmao.

Hmm, Gary Slider (owner of handgunlaw.us) has posted the following in another forum as places you can NOT carry without a permit even under the new (to be) law. Interesting . . .

• Acadia National Park (Permit required; 12 M.R.S. §756)
• State Parks (Permit required; open carry not permitted; 12 M.R.S. § 1803(7))
• Regular archery hunting-deer only (Permit required; 12 MRS § 11403)
• Employees’ vehicles on work premises (Permit required; vehicle must be locked and firearm must not be visible; 26 M.R.S. §600)
• Those carrying under permitless carry must notify officers immediately in any official contact.

Maine is already stating the above on their website at this link:
http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/documents/Weapons/LD 652 Summary.pdf

What say you ME gun law gurus?

All correct. I would just add the federal school law zone needs the permit with in 1000 feet of school property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be adding Maine to the summer vacation list. Looked at getting the non-resident permit a couple years ago but read they were giving applicants a hard time and decided I didn't want to deal with it. Nice job Maine!

I'll be adding Maine to the summer vacation list. Looked at getting the non-resident permit a couple years ago but read they were giving applicants a hard time and decided I didn't want to deal with it. Nice job Maine!

Untrue. They never gave anyone (TTBOMK) a hard time. A few years ago they were buried with applications and it took a long time to get, but the application is pretty straight forward if you read carefully and supply everything they need. I think my renewal in May took ~4 weeks.

Since any trips to ME will likely involve some stops at state or national parks, keeping a valid permit is a necessity for me given the above.

As for the 1000' FGFZ law, I just ignore it as driving down any given road you can easily be within 1000' of a school without your knowledge. IMNSHO it is not reasonably enforceable unless you do something stupid, and I don't consider driving from point A to point B by schools to be something stupid. I think the Feds have bigger fish to fry as well.

Hmm, Gary Slider (owner of handgunlaw.us) has posted the following in another forum as places you can NOT carry without a permit even under the new (to be) law. Interesting . . .

What say you ME gun law gurus?

How would this apply if you had an out of state permit?

Per another comment earlier (I'll try to go back later and figure out who) that for the purpose of reporting during contact with police, an out of state permit qualified as being permitted.

The "duty to inform" part is the Maine reason why I will maintain my licenses. Then I don't have to tell anyone anything - nobody's business. Informing an LEO at the outset of an interaction can only go poorly for you, IMO. Best case scenario he doesn't care. Worst case scenario he doesn't agree with the law and starts flexing his power. No reason to tell an LEO unless you're being asked to step out of the car, IMO.

Once the DoD finalizes the ID cards for military police (already in the works - contractor to provide them has been chosen), I'll be able to carry under LEOSA for the rest of my life, then I can stop worrying about these stupid licenses.

The "duty to inform" part is the Maine reason why I will maintain my licenses. Then I don't have to tell anyone anything - nobody's business. Informing an LEO at the outset of an interaction can only go poorly for you, IMO. Best case scenario he doesn't care. Worst case scenario he doesn't agree with the law and starts flexing his power. No reason to tell an LEO unless you're being asked to step out of the car, IMO.

Once the DoD finalizes the ID cards for military police (already in the works - contractor to provide them has been chosen), I'll be able to carry under LEOSA for the rest of my life, then I can stop worrying about these stupid licenses.

MP's you lucky bastards.

MP's you lucky bastards.

Give Mud Pups real cop LEOSA privileges is scarier than giving real cops LEOSA privileges. More wannabes and future security guards, TSA Screeners in the MP Corps than I even want to contemplate. Only 2 things worse than a 19 year old MP with a shiny whistle, MP Brassard, M9 and a nightstick are a 21 year old 2nd Lt with a map on a night land navigation course and an 18 year old MI Counter Intelligence Agent who has been actually allowed to wear civilian clothes and been issued his/her badge and credentials.

In actuality, I have little good to say about the Army MP Corps and this based on 20 years of anecdotal experience. I didn't always feel that way but their motto "for the troops" ought to be "screw the troops" and I'm sorry to see them get LEOSA status and one of their ilk crowing about it on NES. Typical...very typical IMO..."i really am a real cop doncha see?" and just how many careers have you ruined in your career over nothing Mr MP? Sorry to hijack thread. Hooray for Maine !

Question. Where do the MPs go to qualify annually when they retire? Can the local PD do it? IIRC, you need to qualify annually for the LEOSA carry.

Give Mud Pups real cop LEOSA privileges is scarier than giving real cops LEOSA privileges. More wannabes and future security guards, TSA Screeners in the MP Corps than I even want to contemplate. Only 2 things worse than a 19 year old MP with a shiny whistle, MP Brassard, M9 and a nightstick are a 21 year old 2nd Lt with a map on a night land navigation course and an 18 year old MI Counter Intelligence Agent who has been actually allowed to wear civilian clothes and been issued his/her badge and credentials.

In actuality, I have little good to say about the Army MP Corps and this based on 20 years of anecdotal experience. I didn't always feel that way but their motto "for the troops" ought to be "screw the troops" and I'm sorry to see them get LEOSA status and one of their ilk crowing about it on NES. Typical...very typical IMO..."i really am a real cop doncha see?" and just how many careers have you ruined in your career over nothing Mr MP? Sorry to hijack thread. Hooray for Maine !

Oh my god this x1000 lol!!!

My one and only experience with an MP (I was never MIL) was working with one as Aux POs at BC PD. I got partnered with him and he informed me that he was a former MP. He actually told me that the college kids needed to get their heads bashed in to teach them a lesson. We all know that college kids can be a bit anti-establishment, but that is NOT why we were there. I explained to him and all the other officers I worked with that our job was really to protect the kids from their own stupidity. Campus cops have to put up with a lot of BS that munis would indeed bust them for . . . it's a different job. I went back to the BCPD (full-time) Lt. and told him to NEVER partner him with me again and explained why. IIRC he didn't last very long there as a PT Aux PO.

On the other hand I've worked with a muni PO who is also a career officer in the MPs (Major) and I have absolutely no problem with his professionalism and understanding of the different roles of a PO and MP.

Question. Where do the MPs go to qualify annually when they retire? Can the local PD do it? IIRC, you need to qualify annually for the LEOSA carry.

Good question. I haven't been tracking the changes in the MA CMR for LEOSA as I knew my prior chief would never issue me the credentials, but the original CMR prohibited qualifying anyone who didn't retire as a MA muni or MSP trooper. Nobody else was allowed to be qualified in MA (unless they were Fed and their own agency did it).

Feel better now?

In my own more than 20 years of not anecdotal but real experience, the people who have the biggest problem with the MPs were always the 11Bs. I know because I was one for as long as I've been an MP. And the grunts that hated the MPs the worst? Those who had been detained by them because they were doing something wrong. And if you want to take it as "crowing" that I stated I'll be happy to be able to carry under LEOSA after 26 years of service on active duty, the reserves and National Guard as a private to staff sergeant and then as an officer, two deployments and thousands of rounds through an M9, then go right ahead. I'll crow all I want. I think I've earned it.

But I have thick skin and you can say whatever you want about the MPs. What concerns me more is that you seem to be opposed to giving MORE people freedom to concealed carry. So I assume that you don't think any 19 year old Soldiers in Maine should be able to carry, either, right (as allowed under the new law)? Or do you just think MPs who are 19 shouldn't be able to carry while the rest of the military can?

I always forget that on NES the statists come out of the woodwork when they have a pet peeve or issue.

And by the way, the number of "careers I've ruined over nothing" stands at zero. Because I, like most MPs, spend much more of my time driving on IED infested roads than I do acting as a LEO. Especially MPs in the Guard who only perform LEO duties when called upon by the governor and even then have very limited authority and no ability to ruin anyone's day, much less career or life.

Last edited:
Feel better now? In my own more than 20 years of not anecdotal but real experience, the people who have the biggest problem with the MPs were always the 11Bs. I know because I was one for as long as I've been an MP. And the grunts that hated the MPs the worst? Those who had been detained by them because they were doing something wrong. And if you want to take it as "crowing" that I stated I'll be happy to be able to carry under LEOSA after 26 years of service on active duty, the reserves and National Guard as a private to staff sergeant and then as an officer, two deployments and thousands of rounds through an M9, then go right ahead. I'll crow all I want. I think I've earned it. But I have thick skin and you can say whatever you want about the MPs. What concerns me more is that you seem to be opposed to giving MORE people freedom to concealed carry. So I assume that you don't think any 19 year old Soldiers in Maine should be able to carry, either, right (as allowed under the new law)? Or do you just think MPs who are 19 shouldn't be able to carry while the rest of the military can? I always forget that on NES the statists come out of the woodwork when they have a pet peeve or issue. And by the way, the number of "careers I've ruined over nothing" stands at zero. Because I, like most MPs, spend much more of my time driving on IED infested roads than I do acting as a LEO. Especially MPs in the Guard who only perform LEO duties when called upon by the governor and even then have very limited authority and no ability to ruin anyone's day, much less career or life.

Cry me a river while I get out my violin. I was enlisted, NCO and officer too and don't give me self serving crap about how you cleared IEDs. If you were an officer in the later part of your career I'm guessing your troops did while you directed and your NCOs supervised. You should note I also derided my own branch MI. But that aside since I served in the Regular Army my experience is perhaps different and biased than that of the weekend warrior or perhaps "hobby cop" might be a more apt description. I'm not going to denigrate the role of the Guard or the Reserves in the recent wars in the Middle East but unfortunately it was not just the MP Corps that was riding around on IED infested roads. It was not just the MP Corps that was doing convoy guard duty, it was not just the MP Corps that was working at POW filtration centers although Graner and England were MPs and they certainly weren't abusing prisoners "for the troops."

Simple fact: in the late 70's and early 80's serious thought was given to abolishing the MP Corps. The traditional LEO functions it was determined could be done more efficiently and cost effectively by DOD Police and security contractors. As the Army evolved the Airland Battle Doctrine of the time, it decided that their could be a role for the Combat MP, working with POWs and convoy security and other in theater physical security missions, that's the only thing that saved your branch. However, while you may have conducted the combat MP mission, which any soldier especially a combat arms soldier could do with add on training of relatively short duration, you apparently have very limited experience in the LEO arena as your military time, no matter how honorable or how gallant has failed to take into account the traditional LEO functions that MPs have undertaken in the Regular Army since the early 1940's when they were officially organized as a combat support arm of the Army. The fact that you admit to having limited LEO experience in one breath and crowing about how you are getting LEOSA privileges the next only underscores the basic premise of what exactly is an MP? By your definition you are certainly not a cop, your police powers are limited, cops don't guard POWs, cops don't drive around in convoys on IED laden roads, yet you want cop privileges when by your own admission, you aren't really a cop, and you call me a statist?

You say that I should support any law that gives any group expanded 2A capabilities. I call BS. That's Ayoob's argument. I don't support LEOSA because the Federal Government not the several states have decided that some animals are more equal than others and you go right along with it, and you call me a statist when you don't even consider yourself a cop because your state governor won't let you, except in limited circumstances.

I'm not some lower enlisted grunt, like I said before. I just retired from a non-sworn position with the largest law enforcement agency in New England and before that 20 years in the MI Corps active duty Regular Army. I worked with real cops what you did in a combat theater of operations had little to do with policing in everyday America.

Nice swipe at the Infantry too, you know the guys that even in today's non linear battle still do the brunt of the fighting.

Feel better now?

In my own more than 20 years of not anecdotal but real experience, the people who have the biggest problem with the MPs were always the 11Bs. I know because I was one for as long as I've been an MP. And the grunts that hated the MPs the worst? Those who had been detained by them because they were doing something wrong. And if you want to take it as "crowing" that I stated I'll be happy to be able to carry under LEOSA after 26 years of service on active duty, the reserves and National Guard as a private to staff sergeant and then as an officer, two deployments and thousands of rounds through an M9, then go right ahead. I'll crow all I want. I think I've earned it.

But I have thick skin and you can say whatever you want about the MPs. What concerns me more is that you seem to be opposed to giving MORE people freedom to concealed carry. So I assume that you don't think any 19 year old Soldiers in Maine should be able to carry, either, right (as allowed under the new law)? Or do you just think MPs who are 19 shouldn't be able to carry while the rest of the military can?

I always forget that on NES the statists come out of the woodwork when they have a pet peeve or issue.

And by the way, the number of "careers I've ruined over nothing" stands at zero. Because I, like most MPs, spend much more of my time driving on IED infested roads than I do acting as a LEO. Especially MPs in the Guard who only perform LEO duties when called upon by the governor and even then have very limited authority and no ability to ruin anyone's day, much less career or life.

More freedoms?! Lol, no. Ok, to a privileged class, so no it isn't "more freedoms". Learn to understand the words you use before calling someone a statist. You jumping for joy that the GOVERNMENT will authorize you under LEOSA, is the definition of statist.

Statist.

How did this thread about Constitutional Carry in Maine become a personal pissing match about MPs and LEOSA?

"I think they're all losers."
"No, I think you're a loser."
"No, you are!"

Real ****ing productive.

its great that you have the authority to throw every MP under the bus, especially one who is a poster here. nice job Mark, next time somebody throws you under the bus dont throw a fit.

its great that you have the authority to throw every MP under the bus, especially one who is a poster here. nice job Mark, next time somebody throws you under the bus dont throw a fit.

Well unlike yourself he has worn a uniform and served in a combat zone. He is describing the role of a combat MP not a garrison LE MP in the Regular Army two topics you no nothing about.

Despite my dislike of MPs his service counts as something and he is light years ahead of any self proclaimed patriot who can only snipe and kibbutz on the sidelines in topics he knows nothing about, can only talk the talk be cuz has never ever walked the walk in any manner shape or form. If he has to resort to somebody like you to defend him then that's pretty sorry, but he's a big boy and can do quite well without someone of your ilk. Despite our differences he is still Army Green and a fellow officer. I don't know what you are.

Well unlike yourself he has worn a uniform and served in a combat zone. He is describing the role of a combat MP not a garrison LE MP in the Regular Army two topics you no nothing about.

Despite my dislike of MPs his service counts as something and he is light years ahead of any self proclaimed patriot who can only snipe and kibbutz on the sidelines in topics he knows nothing about, can only talk the talk be cuz has never ever walked the walk in any manner shape or form. If he has to resort to somebody like you to defend him then that's pretty sorry, but he's a big boy and can do quite well without someone of your ilk. Despite our differences he is still Army Green and a fellow officer. I don't know what you are.
lol, so you wore a uniform, so you can throw him under your bus. i have not worn a uniform so i cant call you on it, you are consistent, consistently with a bug up your ass. tell us more how all mp are bad including the poster who just stated he will be happy to carry with his leosa rights before you attacked him with no due cause. just for the record again, i never served in the armed forces [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom