Constitutional Carry tracker.

I checked, and the Louisiana law won't change places off limits.

R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) states that no concealed handgun may be carried into, and no concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:
  • A law enforcement office, station, or building.
  • A detention facility, prison, or jail.
  • A courthouse or courtroom provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom.
  • A polling place.
  • A municipal building or other public building or structure, only if the building or structure is utilized as the meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision.
  • The state capitol building.
  • Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage.
  • Any church, synagogue, mosque or similar place of worship, eligible for qualification as a tax-exempt organization under 26 U.S.C. 501, unless authorized by the person who has authority over the administration of the church, synagogue, mosque, or other similar place of worship.
  • A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity.
  • Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.
  • Any school, school campus, or school bus as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.
(Note: a Class A-General alcohol license means a bar where no one under 18 is allowed to enter at any time. There's an exception for a contracted band member under supervision of a parent.)

South Carolina, if I read correctly, negotiated passage by creating a statewide training program, and enhancing penalties for anyone who carries into a prohibited place, and they have plenty of those.

The law bans CC in:

• Any location prohibited by federal law
  • Private or public property where owners have clear signage prohibiting CC
  • Any educational facilities without express permission from those in charge
  • Detention or correctional facilities
  • Preschool or daycare facilities
  • Polling places on election days
  • Any college or school-related event that does not center on firearms
  • Law enforcement premises
  • Government or district government offices
  • Court premises
  • Medical premises, unless with employer’s permission
  • Religious premises, unless permitted
  • Public transportation
  • State capitol grounds and buildings
  • In anyone’s dwelling or residence without their permission

Interestingly, Maine has 'constitutional carry' but you need a permit to carry in Acadia Park. Also, would Mainers need a Maine permit if they want to have a MA non-resident annual LTC?

Interestingly, Maine has 'constitutional carry' but you need a permit to carry in Acadia Park. Also, would Mainers need a Maine permit if they want to have a MA non-resident annual LTC?
Acadia park is a side effect of the permitletless law passing without fully scrubbing existing laws that reference a permit as an exemption and there being no political will to go back to fix it later.
NH had snowmobile carry needing a permit that took them years to fix.

R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) states that no concealed handgun may be carried into, and no concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:
  • A courthouse or courtroom provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom.
  • A polling place.
  • A municipal building or other public building or structure, only if the building or structure is utilized as the meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision.
  • Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage.
  • Any church, synagogue, mosque or similar place of worship, eligible for qualification as a tax-exempt organization under 26 U.S.C. 501, unless authorized by the person who has authority over the administration of the church, synagogue, mosque, or other similar place of worship.
  • A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity.
  • Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.
(Note: a Class A-General alcohol license means a bar where no one under 18 is allowed to enter at any time. There's an exception for a contracted band member under supervision of a parent.)

South Carolina, if I read correctly, negotiated passage by creating a statewide training program, and enhancing penalties for anyone who carries into a prohibited place, and they have plenty of those.

The law bans CC in:

• Court premises
  • Public transportation
Those Constitutional Carry states suck worse than Mass.

I'd rather need a LTC in Mass to carry in church or a restaurant.

If there was ever a need to carry anywhere it would be in a church or restaurant.

Massachusetts carry laws are better than some "Constitutional Carry" states...
At least for now.

Those Constitutional Carry states suck worse than Mass.

I'd rather need a LTC in Mass to carry in church or a restaurant.

If there was ever a need to carry anywhere it would be in a church or restaurant.

Massachusetts carry laws are better than some "Constitutional Carry" states...
At least for now.

People keep spouting this line - look at the lists of places and compare to Mass. The difference is usually churches and government buildings.
Mass is working to make it even worse - churches, private homes and businesses and for government buildings they are including property so the parking lots and walkways outside are included

People keep spouting this line - look at the lists of places and compare to Mass. The difference is usually churches and government buildings.
Mass is working to make it even worse - churches, private homes and businesses and for government buildings they are including property so the parking lots and walkways outside are included
And, restaurants. Places I go every night.

We'll see how bad things get with new laws in Mass but for now and earlier - Mass has better carry laws than this so called "Constitutional Carry".

And, restaurants. Places I go every night.

We'll see how bad things get with new laws in Mass but for now and earlier - Mass has better carry laws than this so called "Constitutional Carry".
Not living in those southern states in question I cant speak directly but I'd assume that enforcement is more of a you caused an issue and this is how we are going to get you thing since carry is much more acceptable.
In Mass it may be legal to carry in more places but if caught doing so the police will find something else to get you on.

• A polling place.

The law bans CC in:

• Court premises
  • Public transportation
Hoping that is addressed in the regular legislative session

Idaho is already a constitutional carry state.

New Mexico is not happening, did you forget what their governor did by banning guns completely for 30 days?

Michigan’s Governor is just as bad as NM’s.

Wisconsin? Eh, maybe if the stars align just right. Admittedly I’m not as familiar with the makeup of their legislature.
What about VA or NV? Seems like it would have a better shot than NC?

Last edited:
What about VA or NV? Seems like it would have a better shot than NC?
Democrats control the House and Senate of both of those states, they get bluer and bluer every year. No chance a constitutional carry bill would make it to the governor’s desk.

Last edited:
I returned from FL last Sunday for a 2-week vacation. It felt great to conceal carry in the Big Cypress National Park and the Everglades. The only place that banned carry was in the office of Big Cypress. When I declared my firearms at Logan, I had to open the gun box to prove that it was unloaded. Flying back from RSW (Fort Myers), the agent seemed scared and said that I didn't have to show her the firearm. [laugh]

It seems to vary from airline to airline and airport to airport. At Logan some of the agents understand it, but sometimes I get a blank stare and they have to ask someone else. Also, the last few times American and Delta sent the suitcase to the Baggage Service Office, not the carousel. They'll put a tag on that says BSO in huge letters. At Logan they didn't tell me so that when we got to Austin I stood at the carousel until every last bag was twirling around and then went to the BSO to see what was going on.

Both also put a huge cable tie around the suitcase which is suppose to stop you from getting to the gun until you're out of the airport.

I haven't flown on Southwest in a while, but the last time I did they didn't do any of that.

I returned from FL last Sunday for a 2-week vacation. It felt great to conceal carry in the Big Cypress National Park and the Everglades. The only place that banned carry was in the office of Big Cypress. When I declared my firearms at Logan, I had to open the gun box to prove that it was unloaded. Flying back from RSW (Fort Myers), the agent seemed scared and said that I didn't have to show her the firearm. [laugh]

It seems to vary from airline to airline and airport to airport. At Logan some of the agents understand it, but sometimes I get a blank stare and they have to ask someone else. Also, the last few times American and Delta sent the suitcase to the Baggage Service Office, not the carousel. They'll put a tag on that says BSO in huge letters. At Logan they didn't tell me so that when we got to Austin I stood at the carousel until every last bag was twirling around and then went to the BSO to see what was going on.

Both also put a huge cable tie around the suitcase which is suppose to stop you from getting to the gun until you're out of the airport.

I haven't flown on Southwest in a while, but the last time I did they didn't do any of that.

I flew JetBlue. No cable tags were used which I thought was good because I would think that it would alert baggage handlers that there were firearms in the baggage. They only taped the Firearm Declaration form on the pistol case. Neither Logan nor RSW (Fort Myers) asked about ammunition although the declaration form that I signed said that the firearm was empty and any ammo carried was less than 11lbs.

Jet Blue used to require that the firearm and ammunition be in separate checked bags. I never flew with a firearm on that align, but AirTran had the same stupid requirement and I flew on that once. Even after SWA bought AirTran that rule continued until they re painted and lettered the planes. The current Contract of Carriage for Jet Blue has reworded it to say that ammunition must be packed separately from the firearm which seems to mean not in the same hard sided case.

I remember once on SWA the counter agent insisted that only 11 ounces of ammunition could be carried. I handed her their Contract of Carriage which said pounds. Ooops. I wonder where the TSA came up with 11 pounds maximum?

I flew JetBlue. No cable tags were used. They only taped the Firearm Declaration form on the pistol case. Neither Logan nor RSW (Fort Myers) asked about ammunition although the declaration form that I signed said that the firearm was empty and any ammo carried was less than 11lbs.

Kroger used to let you open carry an AK while you shopped your groceries before they caved to the Bloomberg moms

kroger.jpg

A Free people do not need permission to bear arms.
Gun owners in America have 200 million guns and 12 trillion rounds of ammo. If there was a problem, you would definitely know it.

This paper, had I reviewed it, I would have rejected for so-called “P-Hunting” - looking in data for something to say that is statistically significant rather than forming a hypothesis and using data to assess whether it’s true or not. In this case, the authors hypothesized that Permitless Carry would correlate with higher homicide rates, but found the main effect was a correlation of Permitless Open Carry to higher suicide rates - even by non-firearms means.

Consider the logic: Why would gun owners in states with Permitless Open Carry commit suicide with a gun at higher rates? Credible research requires the authors to propose a plausible mechanism, or reason, why this might come about. One could suggest that being able to carry a gun outside the home increases the possibility that people who “snap” will have a gun with them when they “snap” and kill themselves. But why Open Carry vs Concealed Carry? One has to engage in significant story-telling to make any sense of this, like, those who Open Carry, but not who Concealed Carry, have a particular psychological make-up that will cause them to “snap” more often and commit suicide by any means.

The burden is on the authors to explain why they hypothesized that Permitless Carry would increase firearms deaths, but only Permitless Open Carry was correlated to an increase in suicides - with or without firearms. Certainly, gun control advocates were not raising the alarm that Permitless Open Carry would cause a rise in suicides by asphyxiation and drug overdosing.

A US News and World Report quote glosses over the illogic ”Our analysis suggests that because of the change in the law, which provides easier access to firearms, we saw an increased firearm suicide rate and total suicide rate," said principal study author Dr. Jose Diaz, a professor of surgery at the University of South Florida in Tampa.”

How do Permitless Carry laws permit “easier access to firearms”? Such laws have nothing to do with acquiring or obtaining guns.

That editors and reviewers would accept this paper for publication is not surprising to me in the least - even top journals will publish well-written junk-science if it fits the anti-gun agenda.

KEY FACTS

More people died by firearms and suicide in states that allowed the open carrying of a firearm without a permit in public than states without open carry laws, according to a study published Monday in the Journal of the American College of Surgeons.

Open carry allows loaded guns to be either fully or partially visible in public without a license, which also means without any training or a background check.

The study analyzed data from all 50 states between 2013 and 2021: Some 19 states did not allow permitless open carry during the study period, while five changed to open carry and 26 states already had open carry laws.

Total firearm-related deaths increased by 45% in all 50 states, from 33,636 in 2013 to 48,830 in 2021, and the majority were firearm-related suicides.

Firearm-related suicides in the five states that began allowing open carry increased 18%, and the total number of all methods of suicides in these states increased by 57%, with the study’s researchers believing this increase may be ”strongly associated” with more permitless open carry laws.

Senior study author Jose Diaz, the trauma medical director at Tampa General Hospital, told Forbes it’s unclear why non-firearm suicide rates increased, but researchers believe making gun ownership easier by removing restrictions may increase all methods of suicide.

Diaz also suggested a nationwide spike in loneliness and isolation during the Covid pandemic may have contributed, though total suicide and firearm-related suicide rates were higher in open carry states.

The study found no association between open carry laws and firearm-related homicides.”

Key Facts from Open Carry Gun Laws May Boost Suicide Rates, Study Suggests[/I]

Last edited:

This paper, had I reviewed it, I would have rejected for so-called “P-Hunting” - looking in data for something to say that is statistically significant rather than forming a hypothesis and using data to assess whether it’s true or not. In this case, the authors hypothesized that Permitless Carry would correlate with higher homicide rates, but found the main effect was a correlation of Permitless Open Carry to higher suicide rates - even by non-firearms means.

Consider the logic: Why would gun owners in states with Permitless Open Carry commit suicide with a gun at higher rates? Credible research requires the authors to propose a plausible mechanism, or reason, why this might come about. One could suggest that being able to carry a gun outside the home increases the possibility that people who “snap” will have a gun with them when they “snap” and kill themselves. But why Open Carry vs Concealed Carry? One has to engage in significant story-telling to make any sense of this, like, those who Open Carry, but not who Concealed Carry, have a particular psychological make-up that will cause them to “snap” more often and commit suicide by any means.

The burden is on the authors to explain why they hypothesized that Permitless Carry would increase firearms deaths, but only Permitless Open Carry was correlated to an increase in suicides - with or without firearms. Certainly, gun control advocates were not raising the alarm that Permitless Open Carry would cause a rise in suicides by asphyxiation and drug overdosing.

A US News and World Report quote glosses over the illogic ”Our analysis suggests that because of the change in the law, which provides easier access to firearms, we saw an increased firearm suicide rate and total suicide rate," said principal study author Dr. Jose Diaz, a professor of surgery at the University of South Florida in Tampa.”

How do Permitless Carry laws permit “easier access to firearms”? Such laws have nothing to do with acquiring or obtaining guns.

That editors and reviewers would accept this paper for publication is not surprising to me in the least - even top journals will publish well-written junk-science if it fits the anti-gun agenda.

KEY FACTS

More people died by firearms and suicide in states that allowed the open carrying of a firearm without a permit in public than states without open carry laws, according to a study published Monday in the Journal of the American College of Surgeons.

Open carry allows loaded guns to be either fully or partially visible in public without a license, which also means without any training or a background check.

The study analyzed data from all 50 states between 2013 and 2021: Some 19 states did not allow permitless open carry during the study period, while five changed to open carry and 26 states already had open carry laws.

Total firearm-related deaths increased by 45% in all 50 states, from 33,636 in 2013 to 48,830 in 2021, and the majority were firearm-related suicides.

Firearm-related suicides in the five states that began allowing open carry increased 18%, and the total number of all methods of suicides in these states increased by 57%, with the study’s researchers believing this increase may be ”strongly associated” with more permitless open carry laws.

Senior study author Jose Diaz, the trauma medical director at Tampa General Hospital, told Forbes it’s unclear why non-firearm suicide rates increased, but researchers believe making gun ownership easier by removing restrictions may increase all methods of suicide.

Diaz also suggested a nationwide spike in loneliness and isolation during the Covid pandemic may have contributed, though total suicide and firearm-related suicide rates were higher in open carry states.

The study found no association between open carry laws and firearm-related homicides.”

Key Facts from Open Carry Gun Laws May Boost Suicide Rates, Study Suggests[/I]
Because those writing this drivel assume that you cannot purchase or possess a gun in a permit state without a permit
13 states and DC require some type of license or permit to purchase some form of firearm (all, handguns, semiauto rifles).

If you look at the states that require permits that's where a lot of liberal writers grew up, live and got their world view formed.
They have no idea that the majority of the US has no requirements for government permission to buy and possess a gun.

Because those writing this drivel assume that you cannot purchase or possess a gun in a permit state without a permit
13 states and DC require some type of license or permit to purchase some form of firearm (all, handguns, semiauto rifles).

If you look at the states that require permits that's where a lot of liberal writers grew up, live and got their world view formed.
They have no idea that the majority of the US has no requirements for government permission to buy and possess a gun.
And would be all the more horrified if they knew so!

Oddly, four of the authors published a paper last year finding: "Neither open nor concealed carry is associated with firearm-related death rates when socioeconomic factors are concurrently considered." They were aware of the difference between Concealed Carry and Open Carry, but drilled down deeper to split firearms deaths into homicide and suicide, and to split suicide into non-firearms and firearms.

The dead giveaway that the analysis was hinky should have been that, between Permit Open Carry and Permitless Open Carry states, the Permitless Open Carry states had more firearms AND non-firearms suicides. That doesn't get significant attention in the paper, only the USNew quote from the senior author.

We all know the modern TV crime drama trope of police recovering a bullet, and from that determining that it matches a gun registered to Joe Blow.

My lovely bride likes to watch Perry Mason. The original series, 1957-1966.

In almost every episode involving a gun, they say it's "registered to" so-and-so.

Every episode takes place in California.

And despite California being what it is, that state didn't have gun registration until 1991.

I've been in Maine now almost two years and can't get the Mass mentality out of me yet. Over 21 and a DL, you hand over a firearm, they hand over cash and you're good to go. It's still weird to me. Gotta love a Free state.
Don’t think Maine is going to be free for long tbh, they were pushing for gun control after the last mass shooting that took place there. Dems control the legislature

Maine is not a RED State.
Correct. You need only look at what has happened to the state of Vermont, one of the original constitutional carry states. It’s a shame what has happened to VT. It used to be one of the most pro-2A states in New England, possibly the whole country. Unfortunately, those days of being a pro-2A state are long gone. They’ve introduced a slew of new gun control laws in recent years such as mag bans, red flag laws, waiting periods, age restrictions, etc with more on the way.

Back
Top Bottom