converting 1st gen Glock 17 to USPSA

Have had the Glock 17 in my closet for years. I never cared for the trigger (like a revolver, it pulls long to finish the cocking action). The mag and slide release butons are painfull at best. The Polymer guide rod broke under its own pressure in the closet. The plastic is slippery. THEREFORE, I decided to drop in a new Vanek trigger, Lone Wolf barrel, Jagger comp, STS sight, ICE magwell, steel recoil rod, and extend the 3 mags to 17 +2 (Glock extension) + 1 in chamber. I did all this because I am proud to own a grandfathered high cap pistol in MA. I refuse to sacrifice the rare high capacity for IDEA 10 cap limit. Since it is a 2 pin 9x19, I think the gun may only be safe for minor loads in USPSA. Does anyone have any experience with major loads in 2 pin Glock?

Generally not a good idea to push major through an older 2 pin model. Best bet is to shoot production, without the comp or red dot and 10 rd mags. You could shoot open minor, but you won't be as competitive.
You also might want to find some +5 base pads also.

You can shoot +p+ through Glocks with no problems and you might make the USPSA major power factor. By the numbers you'd need about a minimun of 1331 FPS with a 124 grain projectile. In the world of USPSA chronographs and pistol compensators you're going to need 1370+ FPS. You're banging your head against a wall to make a Model 17 competitive in Open. I've been shooting USPSA for awhile and I've never seen a competitive Open shooter run a Model 17 successfully. If you just want to have fun then slap those extended mag pads on and go for it.

Last edited:
Jay from maine shoots a (highly customized) g17 pretty well locally. I am not sure of any "big name" people shooting one though.

Take a look at her gear and see what it does/doesn't do. Open gun by SJC

If/when she gets back, she will still shot open but with a real gun [rofl]

Last edited by a moderator:
No disrespect to Jay in Maine but I'm looking at major match results from the people that shoot all those matches. They all shoot various flavors of 1911/2011 and Tangfolio/CZ's. If somebody produced a really competitive Glock platform that's where you'd see it. That being said - I believe somebody will come up with a competitve Glock eventually. After all - look at the great job Sig did with Max's Open pistol :)

Dan and Lugnut: Who makes the +5 extensions and what mag spring and do I use the stock follower with them?

Round gun shooter: I do not have your vision. I need to have it spelled out to me. Unless she missed most of her targets, she looked good to me. The gun did not explode. Jeff

Dan S: This is Jeff P.
I intend to shoot this high cap because I have it high cap in MA. Everything I am doing is reversible to SSP (I do not know what that means. Is that USPSA or IDEA?).
You made my old but reliable McCormick/STI with the 2 slot comp. Should I change comps to one of the new ones?
Jeff

But I LIKE my red dot and comp. I do not want to give it up for bogus reasons. I do not agree that IDEA is more realistic; after all, the other guy is shooting at you with an UZI.

Last edited:
Rock- I think one of the things RGS was getting at was that her pistol has a lot of recoil / movement (for an open gun).

If you have it, want to use it, and don't care much about being competitive, I say go and have fun with it. DanS knows I like to do that with some of my equipment.

SSP is an IDPA abbreviation for Stock Service Pistol

Last edited:
I intend to shoot this high cap because I have it high cap in MA. Everything I am doing is reversible to SSP (I do not know what that means. Is that USPSA or IDEA?).
You made my old but reliable McCormick/STI with the 2 slot comp. Should I change comps to one of the new ones?
Jeff

If you have the old STI, shoot that. G17s with hi caps in MA aren't all that rare anyways.

Rockcrag: Check out Dawson's extended mag pads. They will fit the Ice magwell. I have a friend that uses Dawson pads on a Glock 40 limited setup and they work great.

Matt: You got it!

Jeff

Jeff, The newer comps, with light bullets, and the low power factor of today will be a bit flatter. How much, I can't honesty say.

GTO: Reloading is my main issue. The G17 can shoot inexpensive factory ammo in minor. If I shoot my old STI, I have to reload my rounds. When I competed years ago, I had jams on virtually every stage, amany of them attributable to making the wrong round. Wrong head shape, wrong OAL, case squished too wide, squibb, too much, too little powder to get a good ejection or cycle a new round, etc. For me, IPSC bacame more about technical difficulties of reloading than about shooting.
They no longer manufacture my 571 powder, so I am back to the bench, back to the chrono, back to the bench...and the outdoor range at Haverhill is closed.

Scot: I ordered a Dawson extended base pad for the G17. I have the SNL on my STI with Gramm spring and follower, thanks to Dan S. However, I do not have enough rounds for the STI 38 super.

You could get your sti chambered for 9mm, if it's an older one, you probably have preban STI mags. You will just need spacers

If you want to shoot the glock, look for a more recent version that will handle major better.

But if you were having issues loading for the STI, 9 major might not be something you want to do

Round gun shooter: I do not have your vision. I need to have it spelled out to me. Unless she missed most of her targets, she looked good to me. The gun did not explode. Jeff

The Gaming Godess shot a 17 and had OK luck with it. I believe she used taylor freelance mag extensions and also has a couple 170mm mags. She is a B shooter and found the glock not reliable enough to move up. She has the skills so she is going to a 2011 platform when she returns to this area and to shooting.

check here for info on her gun builder for the Glock.

What she can do is shoot. What she was not always able to do was complete a course without a failure to feed or other malfunction. I shot with her quite a bit and have a great deal of respect for her dedication and her desire to compete. The Glock held her back. There is a video on her page somewhere where she shot a borrowed shorty from 9x21 and had a real good match.

I am not an open shooter and never will be but I don't think I would invest a lot of money in a glock if I wanted to compete. but what do I know.........

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom