Cowboy loads? good for regular target?

I'm a new shooter.

I'm looking for a low recoil round. I bought a S&W 637 for occasional carry, and to get my wife something to shoot. I will start her off on 22LR but once she gets passed the "BANG!" I want something larger to move her up to larger calibers.

I've seen "Cowboy Loads" in the gun shop, and did some research online to see what they are all about. It appears they are reduced velocity loads. I guess for rapid recovery for rapid fire?

It also appears that some say they can be VERY smokey or dirty.

Would this be a good load to start with, or should I just stick to a standard WWB target round?

I'm a new shooter.

I'm looking for a low recoil round. I bought a S&W 637 for occasional carry, and to get my wife something to shoot. I will start her off on 22LR but once she gets passed the "BANG!" I want something larger to move her up to larger calibers.

I've seen "Cowboy Loads" in the gun shop, and did some research online to see what they are all about. It appears they are reduced velocity loads. I guess for rapid recovery for rapid fire?

Would this be a good load to start with, or should I just stick to a standard WWB target round?

Are you a reloader?

Last edited:
I'm a new shooter.

Cowboy loads are called as such because they meet the requirements of the game. That is lead because they shoot steel targets. Cowboy loads that are Black Powder are very smokey, but smokeless powder loads are no different than normal loads. Reduced velocity loads would tend to be dirtier because you don't get a good seal in the chaimber and some gases squeeze back all over the brass.

To answer the question of them being a good starting load, try 'em you won't hurt the gun.

Thanks for the replies ...

no I'm not a reloader.

One of the reasons I asked was I bought a box of .38 specials - UltraMax Round nose -Flat tip.

It doesn't say "Cowboy load" anywhere on the box, but a search on the net leads me to believe they might be. I don't have the box which me, I'm at work so I can't check by stock number....

cowboy loads are typically .45 colt. I'm sure there are others but they are usually limited to Cowboy single action revolver calibers.

I doubt a .38 would be in that load. I've never heard of one anyway.

edited to add:

Looks like I might be wrong. I did a little search and found several different calibers, more than I thought, that were labeled as such, and the .38 was among them. You learn something new every day.

Last edited:
When SASS was started, 38-40, 44-40, & 45 Colt were the calibers of choice. Now the game has been wimped down with loads that barely clear the muzzle in 32-20 & 32 H&R, & 38 special.
John Taffin say's that he has given up the game that he enjoyed so much.

There was a full page list of cowboy loads some time back in one of the many mags that I subscribe to. I do not shoot cowboy, I do not own a long sleeve shirt, but my club has two groups. I have never gone below 3.5 gr. of AA#2 with an 85g cast bullet because I never shoot at less than 50yds.
The article was probably by either John Taffin, or Mike Venturino.
The Lyman 49th edition just came out, and it will probably have a full section on Cowboy.

Back
Top Bottom