Cross Breed holsters, thumbs down

J

Jose

Just got done messing with my new Super Tuck for my Model 65 and here are my impressions.

The clips out right suck. The holster comes with J clips and what looks like kydex loop clips for the belt. The loop clips are so tight that only a thin belt like an instructor belt will work. My thicker belts jam up. The kydex curls around itself so much that you cannot slip these clips over the belt, you must thread the belt through. The J clips let the weight of the holster hang on your pants and the belt just compresses things. Maybe OK with an Airweight, but not with a 4" K frame. I swapped the Cross Breed clips with the standard clips that came with my J frame CTAC and the holster became useable. Strike one for Cross Breed.

The nutserts where the clip screws screw into have several holes for vertical adjustment, but the nutserts have prongs that are apparently hammered into the leather by the maker. So if you want to move the nutserts from where they came, break out the hammer. I left them alone. Strike two.

The kydex half of the holster is nowhere near as closely molded to the gun as my CTAC from Comp-Tac. In fact, the gun was too loose and I had to break out the wife's hair dryer and heat up the kydex over the trigger guard to mold it tighter around and into the guard to increase retention. Even now the rest of the gun still wiggles around a bit, while my J frame is solidly anchored in its CTAC holster. Strike three.

The ONLY reason that I am keeping it is because once on it is a very comfortable holster due to the very large leather back to which the kydex is riveted. Once the holster is on and the belt is tightened, the gun stays where it needs to be.

Also, Cross Breed is the only holster maker than makes a kydex or kydex-leather IWB holster for K frames. Currently Comp-Tac is waiting on its new K frame molds and as soon as they get it and start making holsters I will probably buy one of them.

My verdict? I won't buy any of their products again. I will tolerate this one because no one makes anything similar for K frames. But my 915 is going to ride in an Answer from Tucker Gunleather even if it is $60 more and has a nearly four month wait.

I will say this, the concept of a leather-kydex hybrid holster with a kydex outer half and a leather inner half is the most comfortable holster made, IMO. I can carry my 4" stainless K frame even more comfortably than my J frame in a CTAC.

It's in the execution of the details that Cross Breeds fall flat compared to Tucker Gunleather's Answer and Comp-Tac's Minotaur.

Just to throw in here, as another CrossBreed user. I have been carrying my Glock27 in my CrossBreed for about a year now. Carried in a CTAC before that.

I agree that it is most comfortable IWB that I have owned. I bought all three types of clips for it, J, standard, and velcro. I admit that I only use the J clips. And, yes, the standard clips are a bit tighter than they could be.

Note that I had a long talk with the owner of CrossBreed and he agreed that he might try to use the C clips used by CTAC. The are a J clip with a top, if that makes sense. The top of this kind of clip puts all the weight on the belt and not on the pants, like a normal J clip does. If I move my CTAC clips to the CrossBreed, I think it would be a close to perfect holster.

The only problem I had was when one of the post bolts holding the clip on fell out. (after about 8months.) I wrote to the maker, and he sent me 6 extra bolts the next day for no charge. So now I just make sure they are tight. Note, my bolts will move to all the adjustment holes fine.

The kydex does fit my Glock and holds it tight. And it rides okay for me, but, I admit, my subcompact Glock is light.

So for me, the comfort factor is about a 9, whereas the CTAC was a 7-8. All other IWB that I have tried are never higher than a 5. Yes, the leather back of the CrossBreed stops all the poking, which is the key to their design. And with my 6-pack (read-beer) frame, it makes all the difference for me.

So, another user, another opinion. For what it is worth. Note also that my CrossBreed was much less expensive than the CTAC.

I owned one for my Sig P245 for a month. I agree that it was the
most comfortable holster around, but I felt that it was too bulky to
conceal well. I have since switched to Andrews Leather McDaniels
for all of my carry pistols.

F

Thanks for the review Jose. I was looking at getting an IWB holster and judging from the reviews I've read here and elsewhere, it was a toss up between the Cross Breed SuperTuck and the Comp-Tac MTAC. Wondering if you've anything else to add since your OP in 2007? Any new good IWB that you've discovered?

Wow... way to pull one up from the archives.

I can tell you as a Crossbreed user myself, they've VASTLY improved the clips that seemed to be one of Jose's gripes.
As for the "nutserts" they're T-nuts... they don't need to be hammered into the leather, just tightened with a screwdriver, the prongs keep the nut from spinning.
His complaint about the kydex being loose is outlined in the instructions that come with the holster. It's vastly easier to tighten up a kydex holster than it is to loosen it. Heating it up and pushing a little bit in the trigger area is the recommended method, though I found with mine the tension was perfect. A little loose if you were to pick it up and look at it, but when it's against my body, the gun is going nowhere.

I understand what Jose was getting at, and maybe in '07 it was a completely different Crossbreed than it is now, but I got mine in '09, and have worn it daily since.
Comfortable enough to forget you're wearing it, and it's comfortable enough to drive in. Being a lefty and driving a stick... that's saying a lot.

HTH, YMMV.

Holy old thread, Batman!

My P99c rides very nicely in a Crossbreed. Mine came with nice metal clips, and I haven't needed to adjust anything. Plus Comp-Tac doesn't make a P99 holster as far as I know.....

I purchased the Super Tuck Deluxe for my XDm, SIG P226 and KAHR PM45 and I think they all are very comfortable and the clip is pretty darn rigid and rugged. I recently heard of a different holster made similar to the Crossbreed, but they have a feature where you can replace the Kydex so you can change your holster to fit several different guns. I think I heard it on a podcast, but I can't remember which one or who the manufacturer was. (Now that was a lot of help, wasn't it?)

I have a super teck w/ combat cut (faster draw) using the velcro clips and their velcro belt (very nice). Very comfortable and well concealed. No clips show!

for the <100$ range I cant find anything better. I did have to modify mine as my thumb hit the leather while trying to grip it. 4013tsw no rail

Am waiting for my Super Tuck to arrive, for my P229 Sig. With the Summer months coming fast to Maine, I wanted to be able to carry with a tucked shirt, and this seems like a good way. I'll report in when I get mine, and have a chance to use it. My only issue before it arrives is with crossbreed's insistence on using the cross symbols stamped into the clips. Those might get changed out.

As I read this I'm wearing my CBST carrying my Walther PPS. Let me state I hate IWB holsters period. I much prefer OWB. However in the summer unless I want to OC IWB is my only real option. I even looked at those shirts with the special pockets under the arms to hold your gun...not really an option because I generally don't wear undershirts under a T-shirt. I find the CBST a necessary evil and probably the best option for IWB holsters.

Things I don't like about it..
1. its bulky
2. Its a royal pain in the @ss to put on.
3. When its time to use the bathroom its cumbersome to deal with....see number 2.
4.It forces me to carry the PPS instead of my preferred carry gun the Springfield XD .40SC ( ok I can't really blame the ST for that)

I don't have anything else to really compare it to but I don't find it all that comfortable...after a while it irritates my skin...maybe a piece of felt on the back might make it better.

I find it the best choice out for IWB....if you have to have an IWB holster.

Crossbreeds are great if you have never tried any of the other manufactures. The clips were an issue but since they have replace them with the metal ones, it's fine. Some people do notice the little crosses on the clips so instead of being incognito, it attracts attention.

If you compare the quality vs price, you'll find out the other makers Comp-tac minotaur in my example is a better constructed IWB holster for a bit more money. My problem is that comptac does not make kydex holster bodies for the gun I like to carry.

I have used a supertuck for about 4 years now and overall satisfaction has been acceptable. The leather does get ratty after about a year or so. It's still serviceable but it looks like it's due for a replacement. Not sure if I will go with another supertuck again.

After digesting everyone's thoughts, I placed an order for the SuperTuck. It was either that or the MTAC. I decided on the SuperTuck because the company is a small business (I support those guys) and it comes with a lifetime guarantee. I'll post a report once I receive it and wear it.

I recently purchased the SuperTuck for my J-frame. It's defnitely a quality holster, but it's a bit much for such a small revolver. I've found that the pants and belt ride down between the hooks due to the cylinder and short barrel. I'll stick with a pocket holster or get a Summer Comfort style IWB.

I believe I can modify the SuperTuck to fit my G23 by just swapping out the kydex. I may try that.

Last edited:
The leather does get ratty after about a year or so.

What manner of maintenance did you do to it in that years time? If none, of course leather gets ratty with no care. Especially a piece always up next to your body, being repeatedly soaked with sweat and probably not left to dry. Not saying that's you, just saying it's understandable that it could happen that way.

The horse hide used in my crossbreed looks damned near new, after ~6 months daily wear, but I'm sure to condition it every other week or so.

Last week I ordered the Comp-tac minotaur and I expect to wait about another week when I get it. I will report about it in a new thread when I have worn it for about a week or just plain love/hate it.

I did have to modify mine as my thumb hit the leather while trying to grip it.

Me too, I butchered it with a pair of scissors. Ugly as sin, but incredibly comfortable and fast.

1. its bulky

Bulky? It's easily the thinnest IWB I've ever seen. Are you talking about how wide and flat the holster is? Does this create problems for you? I've never heard this said before. Maybe I just got a skinny one...?

I recently purchased the SuperTuck for my J-frame. It's defnitely a quality holster, but it's a bit much for such a small revolver. I've found that the pants and belt ride down between the hooks due to the cylinder and short barrel.

Can you describe this in a little more detail? I don't understand this for some reason. Are you using the J hooks? What kind of belt are you using?

OK guys I finally got my SuperTuck (non combat cut, cowhide black) in the mail today for my G23. It took exactly 4 full weeks to receive it. Hypothetically speaking, if I still haven't received it by next Monday, that would be the start of the fifth week. Waiting is the hardest part and some of the NH guys got in around 2 weeks, but their posts were a few years old. If you need to have a IWB holster ASAP, I'd suggest checking out the MTAC.

I'm wearing the SuperTuck now and it's comfortable, draws easily. The large leather backing and long length between the clips helps to distribute the weight. Changing the cant and ride height is as easy as using a Philips screwdriver. The rivets facing your body are flush with the leather so it doesn't interfere whatsoever. The tightness of the Kydex is medium, but when you're wearing a belt, retention can be as tight as you want it to be. If you need the Kydex to be more snug, you can follow the provided instructions or ship it back to have it done for free. I really like the lifetime warranty and the 2-week risk free trial. I'm liking it very much so far. This product felt more personal because Mark the owner includes a couple of letters with each order to explain his passion behind the business.

For some reason I got a pack of Crossbreed Life-Savers with my order.

Lucky! I didn't get any lifesavers!

I'm glad you finally got it though, and that you're liking it so far. Give it a little time to wear in, and you'll forget you've even got it on.
Hope it serves you well for a good long time.

I was wondering if anyone else received a pack of LifeSavers with their order. I thought it may have fallen out of the shirt pocket of the guy packaging my order. lol

I was wondering if anyone else received a pack of LifeSavers with their order. I thought it may have fallen out of the shirt pocket of the guy packaging my order. lol

Were they the butterscotch flavor ones? Mmmmm.

I've tried the crossbreed holsters and they just aren't comfortable for me. Something about the wide area of material that touches the side of the body, just can't get used to it. They cerainly seem well-built and rugged though.

I got Lifesavers with mine. Wild Cherry.
No complaints, though I agree that the crosses on the clips only attract attention.

I am tossing around the idea of a supertuck for a good month for my 1911 commander. Down at First Defense Firearms they had one for a J frame and wouldn't you know I had my J frame on me in a IWB holster already. Man oh man I put on the Supertuck talk about having the holster stay in place and feel great. A 1911 supertuck is in my future.

I am tossing around the idea of a supertuck for a good month for my 1911 commander. Down at First Defense Firearms they had one for a J frame and wouldn't you know I had my J frame on me in a IWB holster already. Man oh man I put on the Supertuck talk about having the holster stay in place and feel great. A 1911 supertuck is in my future.

Just got one last week and IMO, it's very comfortable and draws/holsters easily.

I wanted to give my new Super Tuck a chance to "break in" before reporting on it.

• I also had to wait a LONG time to receive it. Maybe they're just that busy. They have been doing lots of TV ads.
  • I was miffed that the guy really overdoes the religeous crap on this holster. I mean, crosses on the clips? The big damned cross logo, only partially hidden by the gun?
  • I threw the cross stamped metal clips without even trying them. See blow. The plastic ones that I bought (extra $$$) with the holster work better anyways (from what I read).
  • I got my leather working tools out, and beat the crap out of the large logo embossed into the leather. Probably nixed the warranty, but I can't stand someone forcing their religion on me. I don't want to be one of God's "soldiers"
  • The holster is a royal pain to put on and take off, especially these days when my shoulder is bothering me.
  • I'm not happy with the "tucked shirt" ability. I've tried all the adjustments, and can't get that to work well.
  • Speaking of adjustments, the large nutserts are made for wood working. The back side of the nuts that came with my holster have sharp edges from the way that they were stamped! And, they hurt like hell when I wear the holster. I have placed some of that moleskin stuff (when you get a blister) over the back side of the nutsert, but may eventually swap those out for a more proper non-pronged nutsert.
  • I got the horse hide option for my Sig P229, and the leather is THICK, and has taken a permanent "set" above the gun, making grabbing the gun from the holster difficult. I won't try to trim it.
  • I'm still (after several weeks of having it) experimenting with exactly where to wear it. I'm noticing that the width of the leather unfortunately coincides with my jeans, in terms of where the belt loops on my jeans are.
  • I'm beginning to think that I should have followed by buddy's lead (Kicker96FS), and gone with the Comp-tac minotaur

Oh, and I also received a roll of Life Savers. Lots of companies have done this over the years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom