• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Crossbow fever

I’m telling you I really don’t like the idea of them telling me what I can and can’t do what I’m asking for help. I’m pretty sure I’m allowed to use any means necessary. You just got a call the game warden like 12 times to be friends.

The sad thing is my shoulders are never gonna get any better. You see what happened when I pulled the f***ing string back and it hit the safety that I punch myself in the face five times. And I remember that that crossbow will go right through my body armor..

By law I don’t think I actually even need permission but come on can’t we all just get along
Don't take this as legal advice, but I've been bowhunting private land for 35 years in MA and have never seen a game warden.

If your on your own land you do what you want if they won't give you a card. I would NEVER sit out a hunting season because of their stupid rules and would use
a crossbow if I had to.

That said, I do not prefer the crossbow, because if you miss your F'ed. I can take a way quicker follow up shot with a regular bow, with less movement.
Even in PA, I can use the Xbow...but I use the Mathews instead.

Don't take this as legal advice, but I've been bowhunting private land for 35 years in MA and have never seen a game warden.

If your on your own land you do what you want if they won't give you a card. I would NEVER sit out a hunting season because of their stupid rules and would use
a crossbow if I had to.

That said, I do not prefer the crossbow, because if you miss your F'ed. I can take a way quicker follow up shot with a regular bow, with less movement.
You just carry two cross bows.. I honestly can’t see missing in the first place with the scope.

It’s either the Bow or I gotta go black powder to extend my season…
Shotgun season is too short and the weather is anyone’s guess. Unless I’m gonna leave a sled up there in case I got a rescue myself for the mountain.

I’m done crawling for my life.. The one thing I got working for me is at least I’m crawling downhill..
And it’s only a mile. You just can’t take any breaks on the way down

The 'can't go back' is due to the fact that in MA hunting is a privilege. If you can't hunt for a season due to injury, oh well, just an inconvenience. There is always next year. The allowance by the State to allow you to hunt with a crossbow is based on a permanent disability. Had to be a non-hunter on the advisory board.

PHYSICIANS PLEASE NOTE: The law allows individuals with a permanent disability preventing them from using traditional archery equipment to apply for a lifetime permit to hunt with a crossbow. Written certification from a physician attesting to the disability will be part of the application process.

The applicant’s disability must be a permanent physical disability and as a result of that permanent physical disability, the person cannot operate a conventional or compound bow. The physician must provide a narrative in terms that a lay person can understand, as to how the permanent disability directly affects the applicant’s ability to operate a conventional or compound bow. If there is any question of the applicant meeting the criteria, the applicant is subject to a review by a medical review board at the expense of the applicant

Chapter 131: Section 69. Bows and arrows for hunting. Section 69. A person shall not carry or use a bow and arrow while hunting unless said bow and arrow meet such requirements as may be set by rules and regulations which the director is hereby authorized to promulgate. Such rules and regulations shall prescribe general design, weight of pull, and type of bows and arrows, and shall conform to standards generally accepted for bows and arrows used for hunting purposes. Nothing in this paragraph shall permit the use of crossbows by any person other than a person who is permanently disabled such that the person cannot operate a conventional bow and arrow, as certified by a licensed physician. Any costs associated with obtaining the medical documentation, re-evaluation of the information or a second medical opinion is the responsibility of the applicant claiming a permanent disability. The issuance of a crossbow permit under this section shall be subject to rules and regulations promulgated by the director

Last edited:

Problem solved. “Double barreled“ crossbow.

I would go back to a vert in a heartbeat if I could. Not so much because of the follow up shot but because they are brutal to hump in the woods. It is a heavy T square.

Problem solved. “Double barreled“ crossbow.

I would go back to a vert in a heartbeat if I could. Not so much because of the follow up shot but because they are brutal to hump in the woods. It is a heavy T square.

I hefted that twin strike at Kittery. I would not want to hump that thing around the the woods.

You are spot on, the even my small crossbow is like carrying something impossible to get comfortable carrying.

Ill take the Mathews or Bowtech all day long over the crossbow.

Last edited:
You just carry two cross bows.. I honestly can’t see missing in the first place with the scope.

It’s either the Bow or I gotta go black powder to extend my season…
Shotgun season is too short and the weather is anyone’s guess. Unless I’m gonna leave a sled up there in case I got a rescue myself for the mountain.

I’m done crawling for my life.. The one thing I got working for me is at least I’m crawling downhill..
And it’s only a mile. You just can’t take any breaks on the way down
Do people miss deer with a scoped rifle or shotgun??? Yes. But your right, if they take the right shot, its probably more accurate than they can shoot a bow. Because many don't practice shooting a bow that much. I feel just as confident out to 40 with my bow as a crossbow, because I practice weekly. Crossbow is like a gun, don't need to practice that much.

I only say that because it hit home one time when I used my Dads xbow in CT. Shot at a nice buck at 20 yards... Then he just stood there.....long enough for me to say....oh fxck I should have taken the compound, now I can't get a second shot. Ill move too much in the stand and he'll be gone.

Luckily....neither me or the deer knew the bolt hit home....but his tail flicked and he ran 10 yards and fell over.

But Ill never forget that feeling of holding that empty crossbow in my hand while that deer stood there, I might as well been holding my dick. With a compound I would have been able to get off a second shot.

I hefted that twin strike at Kittery. I would not want to hump that thing around the the woods.

You are spot on, the even my small crossbow is like carrying something impossible to get comfortable carrying.

Ill take the Mathews or Bowtech all day long over the crossbow.

I have a friend who has one and you’re right they are heavy as hell.

They best way I have found to carry them is a short bungee connected from the front sling swivel to the chest strap on your ruck. That way the chest strap carries the weight. Just make sure that it is long enough to allow you to shoulder the crossbow.

4881-CAE2-A0-A7-45-F4-BA56-AB13292-AFFA4.jpg

The biggest benefit I see with a crossbow is less movement when it comes time to shoot. My friend shoots his sitting down in a millennium hang on. He kills a lot of deer. We hunt the same set up and it’s hard to shoot my compound sitting down in that stand. Sometimes you just can’t stand when the deer is real close and somewhat alert. I had a buck come under my stand from behind last year, he hung around and tormented me until dark. I’m pretty damn sure if I had a crossbow I could have crept it up and shot him.

Do people miss deer with a scoped rifle or shotgun??? Yes. But your right, if they take the right shot, its probably more accurate than they can shoot a bow. Because many don't practice shooting a bow that much. I feel just as confident out to 40 with my bow as a crossbow, because I practice weekly. Crossbow is like a gun, don't need to practice that much.

I only say that because it hit home one time when I used my Dads xbow in CT. Shot at a nice buck at 20 yards... Then he just stood there.....long enough for me to say....oh fxck I should have taken the compound, now I can't get a second shot. Ill move too much in the stand and he'll be gone.

Luckily....neither me or the deer knew the bolt hit home....but his tail flicked and he ran 10 yards and fell over.

But Ill never forget that feeling of holding that empty crossbow in my hand while that deer stood there, I might as well been holding my dick. With a compound I would have been able to get off a second shot.

I agree with this. I have a Crossbow and a Compound Bow. I can hit a target out to 50 yards pretty easily with my Crossbow. I'll all over the map with my Compound Bow. To be honest I suck something awful with the bow. I know it and I would never hunt with a bow as I know I can't repeatedly hit my targets where I want. Not fair to the deer or the cost of arrows/broadheads

The thing is is usually when you have a chance to take a deer you’re right on top of it anyway. Now that I have some open spaces and continue to feel their far away that’s why I’m thinking about not using iron sights anymore. Just a three times magnification of five would be perfect I never bothered because you can’t hunt with a rifle in Massachusetts as usual with a shotgun you Just point and shoot

To answer your original question I would call David @Wyvern creations. I have done business with him several times and he is a wealth of information. If you can shoot before you buy. A good fit is important.

Wyvern Creations | We are THE experts and THE source for all your Crossbow needs

I have an old Excal Exocet and have been very happy with it. I would buy the same again and I am a big fan of recurve crossbows as you can do all of your own maintenance. No press is required.

Bob

He carries the ten point wicked ridge 400 decock that I have been thinking about, and a good price. Thank you

You are welcome.

My father bought a Parker Buck Buster crossbow and some accessories from him some years ago now. It was right at the end of the day; 4:00ish. David told my dad that if I box it now I can get it out to you so let me get it on the truck and I will call you back in a bit for the CC info to process the payment. The crossbow was on the door step the next day.

David is very knowledgeable and he is a stand up guy. You won’t go wrong with him or his advice. I buy all of my arrows and other sundries from him.

Bob

The biggest benefit I see with a crossbow is less movement when it comes time to shoot. My friend shoots his sitting down in a millennium hang on. He kills a lot of deer. We hunt the same set up and it’s hard to shoot my compound sitting down in that stand. Sometimes you just can’t stand when the deer is real close and somewhat alert. I had a buck come under my stand from behind last year, he hung around and tormented me until dark. I’m pretty damn sure if I had a crossbow I could have crept it up and shot him.
This is the biggest benefit. Its like a gun, you really don't need a treestand if you can get a clear shot.

Drawing a regular bow, is incredibly tough with a deer in view.

Yes, my friend is lefty and his Xbow is the same as mine.
Which is for sale in the classifieds 😉.

I'm waiting to see if my doctor will clear me to get a permit to use a crossbow during the archery season. Already had x-rays on my shoulder,just waiting for results.

A couple hay bails works well too.

They do but they are hard on the fletching. A rag bag that is well packed, you don’t have to go crazy packing the pillow or bag, will stop the arrow long before the fletching comes into contact. Removeany buttons or zippers from the rags. They are hard on carbon shafts.

A real easy way to extend the life of the vanes is to put a drop of super glue gel at the leading and trailing edges of the vanes where the vane contacts the arrow shaft. A little extra adhesive there really helps IME.

I do the back of the vane to offer some extra grip if the fletching gets buried and has to be pushed out.

For those that may not know, a little heat will often take wrinkles out of plastic vanes. I typically use a heat gun on low, a steaming tea kettle will also work.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom