Cutting Carbon arrows

Mark from MA

NES Member
There is a necro thread on this, but instead of pulling that up. I haven't had to cut arrows in years, and my old dremel/board setup got pitched because the dremel bearing was junk.

My son wanted to hop back into archery since he's moving to PA. So I bought some Easton 6.5's off of Amazon, as he was getting low on arrows. Got them in the other day and realized I have no more arrow saw.

Anyway...... I have a decent 12 inch power miter saw, with a fine 80 tooth Harbor Freight blade for fine finish work, that I use for woodworking.

I put a few wraps of masking tape over the area I wanted to cut and marked the arrows, and cut them with the setup above. Worked out great...no splintering and the cut was square and smooth as I've
gotten from pro shops or my old dremel setup. Better probalby, as I put them on the G5 ASD and they were perfect.

Long story short, those of you with any type of miter saw, and willing to spend a few bucks on a fine tooth blade if you don't have one, .....could probably do this and not have to worry about going to a pro shop, buying an arrow saw or dealing with a dremel. Cut slow, and let the saw be up to full speed and I suspect no issues. Do this at your own risk and wear safety glasses and hand protection as always with using power tools. Optionally, if you can find one of the right size you could use a fiber cut off blade for sure. But I didn't want to deal with that.

Those of you without a miter saw....well...this won't help.

I've done some cutting with a Dremel but I could never get them completely flushed and I'm sure it affected my accuracy some. No miter saw, so I think I just need to have a steadier hand when using the Dremel. Though I don't do it enough to be proficient.

The ferulle inside the carbon shaft could be long enough to provide enough surface contact and keep the face ( of the ferule ) perpendicular to the shaft even if the face of the carbon shaft is not perfectly square.

I tried a couple after watching some YouTube vids.
Making a homemade jig was a little too complicated for me.
If I were to go again I'd invest in an arrow saw.

Yep, thats what I did - cut and knocked.
nocks come included in the shaft and already installed.

Inserts....you just use epoxy plastic bonder, that you can get a WM or any hardware store, mix and and stick them in.....not that hard.

Again....this was for those that might have a miter saw handy, but not an arrow saw or dremel. I had such good results I will never buy an arrow saw or build one again,
this method worked excellent and accurate, straight square cuts.

If you don't have any tools, then absolutely, go buy them at the pro shop and pay to have them cut.

I guess I figured a miter saw is pretty much standard to have in a house nowadays as they are way cheaper than they used to be.......but I guess not. Shit I've had a good miter saw (several) for 30 years, but I've always done my own house stuff and woodwork, trim and siding...so maybe I take that for granted that people have that stuff.

Last edited:
Arrow saws aren't expensive man. In fact you can get one for less than a quality miter saw blade.
How much are they now? Most of the ones I saw are like 200 dollars plus.

I buy 80 tooth carbide miter 12" miter blades for 29 dollars at HF....that's not with a coupon. And the blades are decent too, no runout, and super smooth cuts....... use them for woodworking all the time. Just as good as some of the name brand blades. Plus.....I have it anyway, the blade is not something I'm buying special for cutting arrows.

How much are they now? Most of the ones I saw are like 200 dollars plus.

I buy 80 tooth carbide miter 12" miter blades for 29 dollars at HF....that's not with a coupon. And the blades are decent too, no runout, and super smooth cuts....... use them for woodworking all the time. Just as good as some of the name brand blades. Plus.....I have it anyway, the blade is not something I'm buying special for cutting arrows.

Eh... well I don't relly shop at Commie Freight, so I'll have to take your word for it. A quality miter saw balde at Home Depot will run you close to 100 bucks.

This saw is 60.
Amazon product ASIN B08142SCLBView: https://smile.amazon.com/TruePower-Cut-Off-Miniature-Making-Stained/dp/B08142SCLB/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=15DAF8UDYW31U&keywords=arrow+saw&qid=1655084554&sprefix=arrow+saw%2Caps%2C89&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExTzlaRU0xMEpPTk9GJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDk4NjgxMlc0VEsxUEVNOVBISiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTg2OTgwVkhKWUpMS0JKTjlWJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Commie Freight as you call it sells that same saw for 40 dollars without a coupon. Its OK, I had one....but its weak and doesn't cut as square. Its junk really..threw it away.

The blades at Commie Freight are just as good as most of the ones at Home Depot. Ive used both......and while I've never paid 100 for a blade at the Depot I have paid 60 for a Freud one. Honestly though, for 30 bucks.....the HF ones are hard to beat. Was cutting white oak with it yesterday for a hope chest my son is making for my daughter. Cuts like butter.

Some stuff there is crap....some stuff isn't....you have to buy and test. Because some of the stuff is just made in the same place and rebranded blue, yellow, or red. I have the blue HF 12" miter saw, and its basically the same as one of the Dewalt models, just a different color. It been awesome.

The roll away tool boxes there have served me well also....they are not exactly cheap, but cheaper than alot of them.

Stick Framing Nail guns and roof guns....Banks are..pretty good for 89 bucks. Especially for the homeowner just building something once or twice......they are perfect time savers. But they will last a lot longer than one job. The nails they sell are fine too.

No problem with any of their decent black air sockets, socket sets or wrench sets. They are pretty good. I'm not a pro mechanic, so those are only occasional use. But they are as good as craftsman or better.

Air compressors.....their grey Fortress brand ones are good quality, Ive had one for years.......always works.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom