Dave Kopel Event - Anyone Coming?

GOAL

NES Member
I realize this event is posted on the GOAL thread, but due to the very low response I figured no one saw it. My Staff tells me there are only ten people who have bought tickets to this event next week. I thought for sure that we would have sold such event out in the first few days.

Pardon me for saying so, and this is not directed at any individual, but when we can't get people to attend an event with one of the nation's top second amendment attornies it makes it diificult to approach the GOAL Board with ideas of demonstrations and rallies that a lot of people keep saying GOAL should do. It makes it even more difficult to show the legislature there is really any support for reforming the gun laws when we have to cancel events.

http://www.goal.org/PDF/Kopel RVSP.pdf

I realize this event is posted on the GOAL thread, but due to the very low response I figured no one saw it. My Staff tells me there are only ten people who have bought tickets to this event next week. I thought for sure that we would have sold such event out in the first few days.

Pardon me for saying so, and this is not directed at any individual, but when we can't get people to attend an event with one of the nation's top second amendment attornies it makes it diificult to approach the GOAL Board with ideas of demonstrations and rallies that a lot of people keep saying GOAL should do. It makes it even more difficult to show the legislature there is really any support for reforming the gun laws when we have to cancel events.

http://www.goal.org/PDF/Kopel RVSP.pdf

It would be an event I'd like to go to but during the week, later on at night is not an ideal time for me nor do I think it would be for many people.

I think that is one of the problems. After working 8-10 hours, I have to find my way to Saugus and sit for another 3.

If this were on a weekend day it would be different.

It would be an event I'd like to go to but during the week, later on at night is not an ideal time for me nor do I think it would be for many people.

I think that is one of the problems. After working 8-10 hours, I have to find my way to Saugus and sit for another 3.

If this were on a weekend day it would be different.

I have the same problem start work at 5am home about 6pm

As Underwhere said...a week night for me is tough. When I'm already working three jobs...for me to try to make an hour or so drive when I get off work at 5 pm is tough.

More so knowing that I won't get home until 11 or so PM...and then have to get back up four or five hours later.

If this were on a Friday night, or weekend then it might be different. Mabye it's looked at as an excuse. But I don't see my family much now...so when I have free time during the week, I spend it with them.

Seriously,what does this have to do with MA gun laws ?

It's a book signing party.

+1 Who came to GOAL and asked for a book signing from an attorney that most of us have never heard of. [thinking]

If he wanted to sign books he should have shown up at a banquet or the annual meeting, not a weekday @ 6pm in Saugus... You can't have honestly expected a decent turn out.

Saugus is less than ideal location for many of us who aren't on the North Shore. Getting thru Boston and heading North (from the South) in rush hour is not an easy task during the week.

Don Kusser recruited a bunch of us to go from Braintree R&P, carpooling from the club, otherwise I wouldn't be going. Jim may not have received the list from Don yet as he was doing this yesterday at the club.

MetroWest would have been a much more ideal location for a weeknight . . . easier to get to by many more people, with many more ways of getting there. Saugus is Rte. 1 or nothing!

I'm in the same boat...I want to become more and more active. I'm doing so within my own club and hope to within G.O.A.L out here in Western Massachusetts, (hint, hint). It is however a tough pill to work 13-hours on Tuesday, 13 on Wednesday, 8 on Thursday and then find my way to Saugus, (wherever the hell that is) by 6pm from out here in Western Massachusetts. If this was an "Attorney Dave Kopel To Discuss Fighting Massachusetts Gun Laws" - I'd drive through hell to get there. However, this is largely a book signing party - unless there's more to it you can share...

GOAL said:

I do however take some exception to being chided into attending an event based your take that not doing so, somehow makes me - or anyone else, less than enthusiastic about defending the 2nd Amendment and what's more - derailing the erosion of our rights here in The Commonwealth. To compare our willingness to trudge up to Saugus on a Thursday night for cocktails and a book signing to attending a demonstration or rally is just shy of ludicrous.

If you want to show the GOAL BOD or the legislature how serious many of us are, schedule an event with state legislators present and see who shows up. Likewise, schedule an event that details even the beginnings of a concrete plan to attack EOPS, online ammo sales, LTC issuance discrepancies, the continuing AWB and increasing boots on the ground and prepare for a full house...Even if Attorney Kopel is slated to address thoughts and ideas on advancing our rights here in Massachusetts, consulting the membership for thoughts on a more acceptable timeframe, or even more convenient location - though understandably difficult, may have led to a more acceptable attendance.

Perhaps you should take a look around...There are in fact people out here wanting to press forward with this fight, but questiuoning what essentially amounts to our patriotism is no way to go about it in my opinion - that duckie don't washie in my world...Perhpas also, you could spend the same time writing a paragraph goading us into attending a book signing by posting a line or two in the many threads like THIS ONE where some people posted with thoughts, ideas and queries - only to not be addressed by the upper tier...

Put on a GOAL sponsored shoot and incorporate your speakers. I bet that would bring in the dough. Might get some interest if you stop thinking seminar and start thinking why we are all here.

MassMark, spot on.

The only time I've heard of GOAL out here in the sticks is when I read about them in a thread doing a video out here. You guys must have chewed and screwed.

It would be nice to throw some time to us in the sticks, who have actual firearms instead of rubbing elbows on the hill and stressing over cities you cannot win. Nothing personal, I appreciate the work you guys do out there towards all of our rights statewide, but you've got lots of supporters out here who just need to hear of the organization.

Need boots? Come out here. But dont expect us to travel for an autograph, the only autographs we want are on legislation rolling back this nonsense.

You guys are being a slight bit too critical. I'm not quite sure why.

It's like GOAL has done something to personally offend some of you.

I don't know when organizing a book signing was something to take offense at.

Really? And this isn't?

GOAL said:

Give me a break...

Kopel is - and has long been - a prolific and influential writer on and in support of the second amendment. You'll recognize many of his articles and book titles browsing through:

http://www.davekopel.com/2dAmendment.htm

Wish I could make this, but too close to the bone clock-wise after work.

Equating that attending a book signing party is akin to me caring about my rights is insane and not a way to drum up business.

No matter how you spin it,an author trying to sell a book has nothing to do with me or the 2nd ammendment in MA.And trying to guilt a person for not doing so is an insult to my intelligence.

Is GOAL footing the bill for this guys hotel and airfare ?

If so,there has to be better ways to spend the memberships money.

If anything the OP just pushed me farther away.

Last edited:
Timing is too close for me to try. I would like to see him talk but the fallout from Heller isn't finished yet. The Supreme's said that there still is resonable government restrictions that can be put on our rights. What is he gonna say that will make that feel better to sit with?

Joe R.

Equating that attending a book signing party is akin to me caring about my rights is insane and not a way to drum up business.

No matter how you spin it,an author trying to sell a book has nothing to do with me or the 2nd ammendment in MA.And trying to guilt a person for not doing so is an insult to my intelligence.

Is GOAL footing the bill for this guys hotel and airfare ?

If so,there has to be better ways to spend the memberships money.

If anything the OP just pushed me farther away.

For the record, Dave Kopel is not charging GOAL anything. He was going to be in town for another conference and was gracious enough to contact us to see if there was anything he could do to help GOAL while he was in town. We thought it would be a great opportunity for our members to be able to meet and talk with one of the nation's prominent second amendment attornies and authors. It was our idea for him to sell and autograph books as a thank you for helping us out. We honestly thought our members would be excited about meeting someone who was directly involved in the Heller case and has written a book about it.

Can we still get a ticket now if we want to come?

Sure can. I need to pre-order the books for this so if you would like to order a book as well I would need to know by 4 PM today.

Please call me at the office at 508-393-5333 x 206

Kim

Back
Top Bottom