David Tubb book. Off hand question

I started reading the off hand section and have a question about the off hand set up? He says to get left elbow on the hip. My elbow will not reach, short forearm I guess. Any thoughts on accomplishing this? Thanks, Mike

I don't think anybody's elbow can rest on their hip without doing some contortions. Don't do it. Stand straight up and where does it fall? Actually, where does the back of your bicep fall? Along your ribcage somewhere.

I don't think anybody's elbow can rest on their hip without doing some contortions. Don't do it. Stand straight up and where does it fall? Actually, where does the back of your bicep fall? Along your ribcage somewhere.

With all of the padding on my "new" coat, there is still light in between my ribs and my arm. I think I need to break it in more.

With all of the padding on my "new" coat, there is still light in between my ribs and my arm. I think I need to break it in more.
Coat material will bunch up under your arm, no way around it. Just as long as you are not using muscle to keep that support arm holding the rifle up. It's usually referred to as "bone on bone" support, but it's not really. Maybe if you were shooting in a T-shirt.

Also, it's natural to think "This is the way David Tubb shoots, so I need to make my position exactly like his in order to shoot better". Problem with that is he's shooting a Match rifle, not a Service Rifle. The fundamentals are the same, but the position isn't. His position is closer to a Smallbore rifle shooter; leaning back, hip out. Rod R., if you've ever seen him at Nashua or Reading shoot offhand, has an even more exaggerated smallbore stance. It obviously works for him, but his rifle fits him like a glove. He has it set up to his way of shooting. As SR shooters, we need to mold our stance to the rifle being shot.
It's good to read about shooting, learn the fundamentals, and pick up tips here and there from other shooters, but all bodies are different (His arms are shorter than mine, I'm heavier than her, my neck is longer, etc.). What you need to figure out is how you need to build your position. Only way that I know of to do that is practice.

I've found that if I kick my hip out and arch my back a bit my wobble gets better. I think it's a matter of getting as much support under the balance point of the rifle as possible.

See:
hipowgreen2x580.jpg

(I don't flip my hand like that, but same idea.)

View from the front:
konradpowers01.jpg

And from the side:
offhand.jpg

While not a HP book, but small bore. Ways Of The Rifle, has good info with a lot of pictures that can be carried over to HP on basic body positioning.

Mike: offhand is a battle, and after watching you sunday, position isn't your biggest enemy...trigger control is. you flinch, same as most of us do when we get a bit lazy on our fundamentals (or just starting out). the BEST thing you can do for yourself is ball and dummy drills. shoot a 20shot string, with 25 rounds in your pocket (5 being duds, with spent primers, and perhaps full of sand or something to add some weight to em). shoot like that til you stop flinching. and dont eject those duds onto the ground. "shoot" them, then toss em back in your pocket. (so you can't "remember" that you already shot all 5 duds, and go back to expecting a bang every time)

position with the hardback and a service rifle is different shooter to shooter. if i shoot without a coat (i do sometimes, just for fun), my position is drastically different.

coat on:

offhand2.jpg

coat off:

2012-05-01_22-24-34_205.jpg

theres a lot less mobility in the coat. honestly my OH position "feels" better without a coat, but the scores dont support that feeling lol

My offhand is typically mediocre, downright horrible some days, and occasionally decent. For me it's trigger control more than anything. Dry fire and ball and dummy drills do help, as does practice with a .22LR upper. Exaggerating the follow-through really helps me see what I'm doing. (I stay on the gun for at least 5 seconds after I break the shot to see where things settle.)

More than anything it's rounds down range. You're still kind of new to this so don't expect to be shooting 198's offhand just yet. It took me over a year just to get into the mid 180's consistently. Not everybody is blessed with Jeff's natural talent. [grin]

My offhand is typically mediocre, downright horrible some days, and occasionally decent. For me it's trigger control more than anything. Dry fire and ball and dummy drills do help, as does practice with a .22LR upper. Exaggerating the follow-through really helps me see what I'm doing. (I stay on the gun for at least 5 seconds after I break the shot to see where things settle.)

More than anything it's rounds down range. You're still kind of new to this so don't expect to be shooting 198's offhand just yet. It took me over a year just to get into the mid 180's consistently. Not everybody is blessed with Jeff's natural talent. [grin]

ha! i had a fantastic day if i broke 160 my first 2 years shooting this game. like Murph said, if i could figure out how to shoot standing, i'd be "hard as woodpecker lips"

.22lr upper: if you're serious, CompassLake. there's no substitute. before you buy, ask around locally. theres always a chance someones selling one (I've been debating selling mine, and picking up an NMAR, so I could practice in the basement)

My problem now is getting more 10's. I'm pretty sure all shots (not every one[angry]) are going in the black, but I'm still getting a lot more 9's than 10's.
Trigger control is the only answer I can see.

My problem now is getting more 10's. I'm pretty sure all shots (not every one[angry]) are going in the black, but I'm still getting a lot more 9's than 10's.
Trigger control is the only answer I can see.

I hear ya there. Saturday @ the regional....one 8, completely off call, and ten 9's. its definitely trigger control (i had my first dud out of 8k+ wolf kvb223m primers...and the flinch was pretty remarkable lol). ball and dummy seems to help.

Back
Top Bottom