Deals and steals

I don't know much about Glocks. What is the difference between a G17 and a G19 ? (Yeah, I know, "2")

As far as these things go, is this a good one? How many different ones are there? I'm guessing this is a pretty good deal. So, this means you need to drill some holes, then buy a slide and a trigger?

Thanks.

I don't know much about Glocks. What is the difference between a G17 and a G19 ? (Yeah, I know, "2")

As far as these things go, is this a good one? How many different ones are there? I'm guessing this is a pretty good deal. So, this means you need to drill some holes, then buy a slide and a trigger?

Thanks.
The G17 has a longer slide and grip. Its standard mag capacity is 17 to the G19's 15. (The G34 has an even longer slide.)

Thanks.

Drill some holes. Remove some plastic. Smooth it all out. Add some extra rail-thingies. Assemble a lower as normal (dozens of videos out there - hey, I thought Youtube was gonna ban those. LOL) and attach working assembled slide/barrel. Insert mag. Gobang!

Depends on the holster. I know that you can't use a P80 in those CAA MCK things. Very specific to a Gen 3-5 Glock frame. And slide.

P80s generally dont work with kyex holsters. They may if its light bearing where the kydex grips the light or the safariland als where it grips the ejection port.

For the peeps who were considering building a short barreled bolt action rifle or pistol. Or any rifle I suppose. Remington receiver sale.

So, what is needed beyond this are a stock and barrel? Was looking around for a shot-out .223 something, for a possible project (.20 Vartarg or .20 Practical).

I'm guessing there are "stock" stocks out there that people have upgraded from and unloading, and the barrel would be a special order anyhow:

Last edited:
So, what is needed beyond this are a stock and barrel? Was looking around for a shot-out .223 something, for a possible project (.20 Vartarg or .20 Practical).

I'm guessing there are "stock" stocks out there that people have upgraded from and unloading, and the barrel would be a special order anyhow.

There are stock stocks for sure, options from Hogue and Magpul are popular, Brownells carries H-S, a little higher end. I think most people use a chassis setup when they go this route. There are chassis out there from bargain to insane. MDT is a middle of the road, the Q Side Chick is a little more money, AI are the premium ones that come to mind.

For the peeps who were considering building a short barreled bolt action rifle or pistol. Or any rifle I suppose. Remington receiver sale.

Ok, but seriously - I kind of want to slap one of these in 223 onto a Magpul Hunter. Any reason to do that rather than just grab an equivalent Howa or Tikka? I'm going to burn money whether I like it or not...help me!

Last edited:
That looks like a pretty good deal. Kits are running 140-150. Slides run 200. Both for $250 seems good assuming the slide is AOK.

There are stock stocks for sure, options from Hogue and Magpul are popular, Brownells carries H-S, a little higher end. I think most people use a chassis setup when they go this route. There are chassis out there from bargain to insane. MDT is a middle of the road, the Q Side Chick is a little more money, AI are the premium ones that come to mind.
I'm looking for something to carry out in the woods, and it will probably be painted white.

Ok, but seriously - I kind of want to slap one of these in 223 onto a Magpul Hunter. Any reason to do that rather than just grab an equivalent Howa or Tikka? I'm going to burn money whether I like it or not...help me!

If you want a project or want to build a short barreled bolt action it makes sense. As somebody noted a wildcat round or 20 Tactical they are good reasons. If you want a quality rifle for less money invested buy the Tikka.

If you want a project or want to build a short barreled bolt action it makes sense. As somebody noted a wildcat round or 20 Tactical they are good reasons. If you want a quality rifle for less money invested buy the Tikka.
Thank you. This spring, the project is becoming a better shot, so that decision just got easier.

Cool. It gives a verbal description of the slides, but is there anywhere to view each different one? Are they worth the bother over the basic one? If anything, I would be looking for reduced weight and improved reliability and accuracy. I can't picture how a slide might do this, but I'm open to hear.

It won't let me link the pic. Seems like they have some copyright shit in place that keeps you from being able to "view pic" so I can't link it or copy it. Just click the link for the combo. Then look to the right of the main pic. There is a pic of the slides. Just click it then click on the main pic window for a large pic of the slides.

Thank you. This spring, the project is becoming a better shot, so that decision just got easier.

If you are set on going with 223 make sure to do the research in to bullet weight vs. twist rate. I have an R700 SA in 223 with the varmint barrel on it. In factory config with some hand loads I worked up I can put down 5 round .5 MOA groups at 100 yds. I used to reliably shoot 15 for 15 at the 100 yd. woodcock egg shoots. Trying to do the same at 200 is a whole different story with a 1/12 twist rate. There are quite a few options in 223 as far a weight goes. Figure out what the longest range you expect to use it at and then pick a grain weight or weight range and a barrel with a twist that matches.

If you are set on going with 223 make sure to do the research in to bullet weight vs. twist rate. I have an R700 SA in 223 with the varmint barrel on it. In factory config with some hand loads I worked up I can put down 5 round .5 MOA groups at 100 yds. I used to reliably shoot 15 for 15 at the 100 yd. woodcock egg shoots. Trying to do the same at 200 is a whole different story with a 1/12 twist rate. There are quite a few options in 223 as far a weight goes. Figure out what the longest range you expect to use it at and then pick a grain weight or weight range and a barrel with a twist that matches.
Thanks. For now, longest range will be 300 at Harvard. I think with the Tikkas, I'm basically looking at a 1:8 on a 20" or 24" barrel.

My understanding (and I'm happy to be corrected) is that this should be pretty solid for a broad range of bullet weights. My plan is to start with ammo in the 52gr range, because that's what I have on hand. As I get my fundamentals cleaned up, I'm sure I'll start moving into heavier projectiles and paying more attention to the rest of the variables from there.

Thanks. For now, longest range will be 300 at Harvard. I think with the Tikkas, I'm basically looking at a 1:8 on a 20" or 24" barrel.

My understanding (and I'm happy to be corrected) is that this should be pretty solid for a broad range of bullet weights. My plan is to start with ammo in the 52gr range, because that's what I have on hand. As I get my fundamentals cleaned up, I'm sure I'll start moving into heavier projectiles and paying more attention to the rest of the variables from there.

1/8 May be a little fast for 52gr. Typically you start at 62 w/ a 1/8 and can go up to about 80gr. 1/8 shines in the 70-75 gr range.

Back
Top Bottom