Denied Local License for FFL

Well I tried, New ATF laws state your Gun shop needs to be located at a differant address than the owner. Tried for a license out of my new garage loft that is attached by a breezeway and local police said they would approve it but the ATF would deny my licencse.

Well I tried, New ATF laws state your Gun shop needs to be located at a differant address than the owner. Tried for a license out of my new garage loft that is attached by a breezeway and local police said they would approve it but the ATF would deny my licencse.

Are you taking your local police department's word for what the ATF would or would not do?

This isn't new.

In MA FFLs attached to dwellings are generally not allowed. I always thought this was a state thing (like a CMR or something) but I forget offhand. All I know is that new licensees will not get a license approved if their business touches their house. This also assumes that all the other ducks have been gunned down- eg, local zoning and other considerations.

The ATF will look for ANYTHING to deny you- and I mean anything. They frequently deny licenses for compliance failures on nearly meaningless local laws and ordinances. Say for example, your town had an ordinance that said you have to have a permit to have a toilet, and your dealership has a toilet in it without a permit- they would use that as a reason to deny your FFL application. You have to have all your crap together, twice over, in MA, to maintain an 01. If you are really serious about this you should do more research or obtain a gun lawyer.

-Mike

You are right on the money, the Local Police were actually supporting me until this gray area on an attached dwelling came to be.
We thought with a breeeze way in between it would fly.
Dam had a nice set up too.

Is this just for new FFL's? I know 3 FFL's that operate out of their homes..

Is this just for new FFL's? I know 3 FFL's that operate out of their homes..

There is a MA specific law mandating a separate address for FFLs. The federal requirement is simply that you are in compliance with all state and local laws, including zoning.

Not to defend ATF, but I've been dealing with them for 28 years and have had several audits. My take is that they do not look for ways to deny you as they did in the Clinton years, but they do insist that you comply with all state and local laws. If you can show that you can do business at a location that is not a "residence" and can comply with zoning bylaw and can obtain the Mass dealer's license you may well be good to go. When you apply, there will be a personal interview and you will need to have your ducks in a row. Remember that for better or worse, you will be getting into bed with them. Read and study all the regs. Jack.

Back
Top Bottom