Deval Patrick's Plans

Governor-elect Patrick has been working with 15 policy "working groups" over the last month to come up with specific recommendations on ways to "improve" the Commonwealth.

Of interest to NES is this report (PDF) on Public Safety. Specifically, their recommendation on Gun Violence are as follows:

Gun Violence

Gun violence is increasing in Massachusetts, not only in Boston but also in smaller cities in the Commonwealth. Guns have been streaming into Massachusetts from other states and are now easily obtained by those whose primary purpose is to use a gun to commit a crime. The proliferation of handguns that end up in the hands of criminals is a national problem that needs a national solution. However, Massachusetts has been a leader among states which have the will to address these handgun issues. Massachusetts should continue to lead the way in improving public safety with rational and efficient gun laws that adapt to the changing conditions of gun crimes, gun trafficking and illegal gun sales. At the same time, we can do more to target gun traffickers and trace the flow of illegal guns.

Recommendations

• Develop a statewide approach to improving gun registration practices and reducing illegal gun sales through EOPS by designating a Gun Project Coordinator. The Gun Project Coordinator would also assist the Governor and the Secretary in leading statewide and interstate efforts to reduce the flow of illegal firearms.
  • Coordinate a regional gun summit meeting with governors and law enforcement officials of neighboring states and federal agencies to emphasize enforcement of current laws and encourage joint initiatives to reduce illegal gun sales and trafficking.
  • Work with Boston Mayor Thomas Menino in his collaboration with a group of urban mayors who are leading a national campaign to develop and advance legislation that supports crime-fighting initiatives and gun violence prevention.
  • Undertake a comprehensive review of the state’s current laws, regulations and practices involving the sale of firearms. Reform current laws and practices where needed to regulate private, unlicensed sellers of guns at gun shows and expand background checks for those who buy guns at gun shows and from private dealers.
  • Identify those areas where, through legislation or improved practices, the state can enhance public safety by improving its registration and recordkeeping of firearms ownership and sales.
  • Assist local police departments in their efforts to work with the state and local authorities in tracing illegal firearms.
  • Consider the creation of additional gun courts.
  • Explore with gun manufacturers, particularly those manufacturing or doing extensive business in Massachusetts, what public/private initiatives might lead to fewer illegal sales and fewer handguns used in criminal conduct.
  • Work closely with the Brady Campaign to End Handgun Violence to advance its current national legislative priority and limit gun buyers to purchasing one firearm a month and 12 in a year.
  • Work closely with Stop Handgun Violence on its local, state, and interstate initiatives to reduce the number of guns and the number of gun crimes in Massachusetts.

It's interesting that the recommendations include working with the Brady Bunch and Stop Hangun Violence but no input would be sought from the NRA or GOAL. Also frightening is the recommendation to "identify those areas where, through legislation or improved practices, the state can enhance public safety by improving its registration and recordkeeping of firearms ownership and sales." It goes without saying that this will have no bearing on illegal guns, but only further inconvenience law-abiding gun owners.

Undertake a comprehensive review of the state’s current laws, regulations and practices involving the sale of firearms. Reform current laws and practices where needed to regulate private, unlicensed sellers of guns at gun shows and expand background checks for those who buy guns at gun shows and from private dealers.

What the hell is a "private dealer"? They're going to end FTF sales. Those bastards!

I should have pointed out that these are recommendations only.

OTOH, I can see him doing each and every one of these things, plus more.

Incidentally, didn't the NJ SJC recently strike down the "one gun per month" law there (or was it the legislature realizing it did nothing to reduce crime)?

Unfortunately, they struck it down because a city implemented it, and they didn't want a city making additional gun laws... NOT because it limited folks to one gun a month.

The 4th bullet point is where all the BS will spawn from. The rest is
just "bureauocratese" for pretending to do something. Much of the
other stuff can't exist without changes to the laws anyways.

The stupid "gun summit" crap can be somewhat cut off at the pass by
encouraging mayors of other cities to not show up at these things
etc. They're not really obligated to anyways, so if only like mumbles
menino, boobberg and a couple of other commies show up at these "summits"
it will make them all look bad. EG, a goal would be to get no politicians
from Maine, NH, or VT to show up at any of these things. That would
mean a lot in terms of making this crap look like the joke it really
is.

I do smell bad stuff on the horizon though, legislatively. Who knows
what shape it will take. The only saving grace is that we already have
a TON of gun laws in this state, that do nothing. Of course the dumb
pols won't see it that way, though. It all depends on how ambitious
the anti gun legislators want to get... if they decide to do something as
comprehensive as GCA 1998, then we're screwed, royally. That being
said, the fat lady's sister hasn't sung yet. (the fat lady herself sang
in 1998, those that were smart ran away back then or have saved up
their coin to get out of here!). At this point I'm crossing my fingers
in terms of at least us being able to buy time.....

-Mike

I'm going to write and ask why there will be no one from the NRA or Goal present to help protect the rights of the LEGAL gun owners and try and ensure that they don't trample the Constitution any more then they already have.

File this one under TETF (Too easy to Fisk)...

Gun Violence

What the f*** does that really mean? Guns are as violent as coffee tables.

Gun violence is increasing in Massachusetts, not only in Boston but also in smaller cities in the Commonwealth.

Translation: the criminal population is increasing, but we can't do anything about that, because those people vote for us.

Guns have been streaming into Massachusetts from other states and are now easily obtained by those whose primary purpose is to use a gun to commit a crime.

Translation: Criminals have been streaming into Massachusetts from other states and OTHER COUNTRIES and are able to illegally obtain guns (and crack, pot, fake ID's, and a whole list of already-banned materials).

But again, we can't do anything to hurt the voter base.

The proliferation of handguns that end up in the hands of criminals is a national problem that needs a national solution.

Translation: We surrender to the criminals, against whom, we are powerless to do anything. So, we'll blame it all on the guns and make the law-abiding gun owners pay for it by usurping their rights.

However, Massachusetts has been a leader among states which have the will to address these handgun issues.

Translation: Massachusetts has been a dismal failure at addressing these CRIMINAL BEHAVIOR issues. Hence, the tried and true smokescreen technique being employed by the Patrick/Murray camp.

Massachusetts should continue to lead the way in improving public safety with rational and efficient gun laws that adapt to the changing conditions of gun crimes, gun trafficking and illegal gun sales.

Changing conditions? Where? Criminals break the law, it's what they do. Criminals and their illegal activities aren't impacted by "gun laws". They never have been, and they never will be.

At the same time, we can do more to target gun traffickers and trace the flow of illegal guns.

By classifying all guns as "illegal" and requiring everyone to register their illegal guns witht he government - for your own good, you understand.

Recommendations

Develop a statewide approach to improving gun registration practices and reducing illegal gun sales through EOPS by designating a Gun Project Coordinator. The Gun Project Coordinator would also assist the Governor and the Secretary in leading statewide and interstate efforts to reduce the flow of illegal firearms.

Has anyone heard ANYTHING from the Patrick camp about increasing the prison sentences for those found guilty of violating the many existing state and federal laws against illegal gun sales? I haven't.

Coordinate a regional gun summit meeting with governors and law enforcement officials of neighboring states and federal agencies to emphasize enforcement of current laws and encourage joint initiatives to reduce illegal gun sales and trafficking.

Ooooh...a summit! That will have the gangbangers in Roxbury scared straight, for sure.

Work with Boston Mayor Thomas Menino in his collaboration with a group of urban mayors who are leading a national campaign to develop and advance legislation that supports crime-fighting initiatives and gun violence prevention.

OK, how many ways can you say the same feel-good do-nothing crap. This is the third paragraph in a row full of nothing but rhetorical platitudes and feel-goodspeak.

Undertake a comprehensive review of the state’s current laws, regulations and practices involving the sale of firearms. Reform current laws and practices where needed to regulate private, unlicensed sellers of guns at gun shows and expand background checks for those who buy guns at gun shows and from private dealers.

Yep...the guys selling guns out of the back of some van in Dorchester will be all over that, heading down to their local FFL to complete all their future transactions.

I hope these people brought enough of what they're smoking to share with the rest of the class.

Identify those areas where, through legislation or improved practices, the state can enhance public safety by improving its registration and recordkeeping of firearms ownership and sales.

Unlike the current system that requires all gun sales and transfers to be registered with the state. Perhaps, each FA-10 form will now come with a specimen cup for DNA sample collection.

Assist local police departments in their efforts to work with the state and local authorities in tracing illegal firearms.

I have a good idea. Let's also make it illegal to possess a gun with an obliterated serial number. Oh, wait...

How about we work to assist local police departments in their efforts to work with the state and local authorities in tracing illegal criminals. Oh, wait...that would be racist. I forgot.

Consider the creation of additional gun courts.

Bad gun!

Explore with gun manufacturers, particularly those manufacturing or doing extensive business in Massachusetts, what public/private initiatives might lead to fewer illegal sales and fewer handguns used in criminal conduct.

Fewer criminals on the streets, looking to buy and sell guns illegally, would lead to fewer illegal gun sales.

Stop me if I'm going too fast for you, Deval.

Work closely with the Brady Campaign to End Handgun Violence to advance its current national legislative priority and limit gun buyers to purchasing one firearm a month and 12 in a year.

With God as my witness, if that becomes law, I will make it a point to purchase a new gun on the first of every month - way more often than I would if the government would just leave me alone and let me buy as many as I want, and can afford.

Work closely with Stop Handgun Violence on its local, state, and interstate initiatives to reduce the number of guns and the number of gun crimes in Massachusetts.

Again, has anyone heard ANYTHING from the Patrick camp about putting CRIMINALS in prison for LONG periods of time, during which they will be 100% unable to commit any kind of violent crime in public?

In summation: What a load of feel-good, do-nothing, jam-daisies-up-my-ass-and-sing-Kumbaya CRAP!

File this one under TETF (Too easy to Fisk)...

Gun Violence

What the f*** does that really mean? Guns are as violent as coffee tables.

Gun violence is increasing in Massachusetts, not only in Boston but also in smaller cities in the Commonwealth.

Translation: the criminal population is increasing, but we can't do anything about that, because those people vote for us.

Guns have been streaming into Massachusetts from other states and are now easily obtained by those whose primary purpose is to use a gun to commit a crime.

Translation: Criminals have been streaming into Massachusetts from other states and OTHER COUNTRIES and are able to illegally obtain guns (and crack, pot, fake ID's, and a whole list of already-banned materials).

But again, we can't do anything to hurt the voter base.

The proliferation of handguns that end up in the hands of criminals is a national problem that needs a national solution.

Translation: We surrender to the criminals, against whom, we are powerless to do anything. So, we'll blame it all on the guns and make the law-abiding gun owners pay for it by usurping their rights.

However, Massachusetts has been a leader among states which have the will to address these handgun issues.

Translation: Massachusetts has been a dismal failure at addressing these CRIMINAL BEHAVIOR issues. Hence, the tried and true smokescreen technique being employed by the Patrick/Murray camp.

Massachusetts should continue to lead the way in improving public safety with rational and efficient gun laws that adapt to the changing conditions of gun crimes, gun trafficking and illegal gun sales.

Changing conditions? Where? Criminals break the law, it's what they do. Criminals and their illegal activities aren't impacted by "gun laws". They never have been, and they never will be.

At the same time, we can do more to target gun traffickers and trace the flow of illegal guns.

By classifying all guns as "illegal" and requiring everyone to register their illegal guns witht he government - for your own good, you understand.

Recommendations

Develop a statewide approach to improving gun registration practices and reducing illegal gun sales through EOPS by designating a Gun Project Coordinator. The Gun Project Coordinator would also assist the Governor and the Secretary in leading statewide and interstate efforts to reduce the flow of illegal firearms.

Has anyone heard ANYTHING from the Patrick camp about increasing the prison sentences for those found guilty of violating the many existing state and federal laws against illegal gun sales? I haven't.

Coordinate a regional gun summit meeting with governors and law enforcement officials of neighboring states and federal agencies to emphasize enforcement of current laws and encourage joint initiatives to reduce illegal gun sales and trafficking.

Ooooh...a summit! That will have the gangbangers in Roxbury scared straight, for sure.

Work with Boston Mayor Thomas Menino in his collaboration with a group of urban mayors who are leading a national campaign to develop and advance legislation that supports crime-fighting initiatives and gun violence prevention.

OK, how many ways can you say the same feel-good do-nothing crap. This is the third paragraph in a row full of nothing but rhetorical platitudes and feel-goodspeak.

Yep...the guys selling guns out of the back of some van in Dorchester will be all over that, heading down to their local FFL to complete all their future transactions.

I hope these people brought enough of what they're smoking to share with the rest of the class.

Identify those areas where, through legislation or improved practices, the state can enhance public safety by improving its registration and recordkeeping of firearms ownership and sales.

Unlike the current system that requires all gun sales and transfers to be registered with the state. Perhaps, each FA-10 form will now come with a specimen cup for DNA sample collection.

Assist local police departments in their efforts to work with the state and local authorities in tracing illegal firearms.

I have a good idea. Let's also make it illegal to possess a gun with an obliterated serial number. Oh, wait...

How about we work to assist local police departments in their efforts to work with the state and local authorities in tracing illegal criminals. Oh, wait...that would be racist. I forgot.

Consider the creation of additional gun courts.

Bad gun!

Explore with gun manufacturers, particularly those manufacturing or doing extensive business in Massachusetts, what public/private initiatives might lead to fewer illegal sales and fewer handguns used in criminal conduct.

Fewer criminals on the streets, looking to buy and sell guns illegally, would lead to fewer illegal gun sales.

Stop me if I'm going too fast for you, Deval.

Work closely with the Brady Campaign to End Handgun Violence to advance its current national legislative priority and limit gun buyers to purchasing one firearm a month and 12 in a year.

With God as my witness, if that becomes law, I will make it a point to purchase a new gun on the first of every month - way more often than I would if the government would just leave me alone and let me buy as many as I want, and can afford.

Work closely with Stop Handgun Violence on its local, state, and interstate initiatives to reduce the number of guns and the number of gun crimes in Massachusetts.

Again, has anyone heard ANYTHING from the Patrick camp about putting CRIMINALS in prison for LONG periods of time, during which they will be 100% unable to commit any kind of violent crime in public?

In summation: What a load of feel-good, do-nothing, jam-daisies-up-my-ass-and-sing-Kumbaya CRAP!

As always, well said! [smile]

We are currently accepting resumes and CVs. To submit your resume for our consideration, please attach it to an email with a cover letter and send it to:

[email protected]
The subject line of your email should read “Last Name, First Name”. The email body should include:

Your Name
Your Phone
Your Email
The area of the government that interests you most

Due to the volume of resumes we receive, please do not contact the office directly after submitting your resume or CV. Someone will be in touch with the appropriate next steps.

Thank you,
The Patrick/Murray Transition Committee

We should all apply for that Gun Project Coordinator. http://www.patrickmurraytransition.org/employment.cfm

regulations and practices involving the sale of firearms. Reform current laws and practices where needed to regulate private, unlicensed sellers of guns at gun shows and expand background checks for those who buy guns at gun shows and from private dealers.

Don't you already have to be a MA licensed or some type of licenced dealer to even get a table at a gun show? At least to sell guns? I didn't think that Joe Public could get a table and sell guns... Maybe I'm worng.

Anyway, aren't there already laws in place for most of these "recomendations?"

When we saw Sarah Brady greasing JimBo's wheels, it was apparent something was in the wind! Since Deval is liberal, it stands to reason only liberals attend his parties and get his ear. How many conservative actors are invited to liberal Hollywood parties? None! Same in politics. So the Bradys and Joshes of the world have an advantage in this environment. Only means we have to work harder to gain "access".

Don't you already have to be a MA licensed or some type of licenced dealer to even get a table at a gun show? At least to sell guns? I didn't think that Joe Public could get a table and sell guns... Maybe I'm worng.

Anyway, aren't there already laws in place for most of these "recomendations?"

It's a straw man. There's no such thing as a "private dealer" There are dealers, and there are private transactions (a.k.a. FTF). Their use of the term "private dealer" is a euphemism for "private transaction". Since we are already prohibited by law to privately sell/trade more than 4 guns per year, there are no legal private dealers. The only way that they can make private dealers "more illegal" is to ban all private transactions.

Back
Top Bottom