• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

die manufacturers question

I see that there are a lot of companies that manufacture dies... just wanted to ask the group if there are any brand(s) that people would recommend. Specifically for .308 (looking for a carbide die set to reload and make new ammo for my ar-10).

Im a newbie to reloading but I will be taking the class at GOAL on the 22nd/23rd of this month, and Im sure this type of question will be covered then... I just wanted to start getting some dies and general equipment before the class...

Appreciate any advice/help. Thanks in advance!

The only carbide that are available are expensive and used by commercial reloaders. You'll never wear out a set of standard steel dies under normal circumstances. You can get carbide expander balls for RCBS and Redding and I think Dillon dies have a carbide expander as standard. In case your interested a carbide resizing die would still require case lube so your not really gaining any thing by using a carbide rifle die.
You may need a small base die to reload your AR 10 as semi autos don't have the caming power of a bolt.

I have a set of RCBS steel .223 SB dies that I have loaded tens of thousands of rounds with and they're still going strong...but highlander is right, you're still going to have to lube the brass, no matter what you use for dies. It's just a fact of life reloading rifle stuff. Most pistol stuff you can get away with no lube and a carbide die set but no-go with rifle loads. Get a 308 case stuck in the resizing die and it sucks big time getting it out. [thinking]

Last edited:
I use an RCBS 308 small base X die for my M1A. It seems to work as advertised in eliminating repeat trimming. I need the small base die as cases processed in a standard full length die would not rechamber in the rifle.

Back
Top Bottom