Different Venue--.177

Picked up a Desert Eagle air pistol in .177 by Magnum research. Have had it about a week and have had time to play with it.

Set up two 30-ft. areas. One going from the garage into the family room, the other, upstairs, going down a hallway into the dining room. Grin, needless to say, the garage area will be the most used. [wink]

Am impressed with the accuracy of the item within that 30-ft. range. Am using 25-ft. targets, and, after getting used to it, can usually blow out the center. Yes, there are occasional flyers....could be me, could be the lead. Using a "Do All" trap that handles 17 & 22.

Have found that I can reliably get 7 loads of 8-shots each out of a CO2 cylinder. After the 7th, the difference becomes noticeable, and drops off rapidly. No problem, 7 x 8 is fine with me.

My intentions are multiple...during bad weather, keep shooting and keep the eyes "sharp". In the spring, will have it handy for squirrels. My area gets overrun with them and they dig like crazy. They are a "Royal Pain In The Ass".

This piece puts out about 450 fps. so I doubt it will kill, unless its a direct headshot, (to a squirrel) but I have to think it will sting like hell. Grin, don't think they will keep coming back to an area that is "painful". At least that is my thought.

Sidenote: My unit came through with a Walther PS22 red dot sight. It is useless. Elevation could not be adjusted to get me into the "bull" and was virtually "freewheeling"....meaning it did nothing. No matter how many turns, there was no change in POI. Would recommend that anyone looking at the Desert Eagle air pistol stick with the basic, and forget the package. Got so disgusted with the Walther PS22 that I pulled it off, saved the battery for other sights, and threw it away.

Used paint....same as I do with any pistol or revolver, and made two white dots on the rear and used a basecoat of white on the front, and overlaid it with fluorescent orange. Works good for my eyes.

Grin, my wife just shakes her head when I tell her "I'm going downstairs to shoot up the garage", but she also knows that I'm kidding and am very safety conscious. Have not used this trap with .22, am not comfortable with firing regular ammo in a home environment. It could be OK, am just leery. [grin]

Last edited:
Cool. Airguns are good cheap fun. [smile]

I have a Benjamin HB .177 pump air pistol that is surprisingly accurate and fun to shoot up the basement with. I can't wait to see what it will do with a scope on it, because the iron sights aren't great. I have a scope base intermount on order that I'm waiting for. Only cost is that of pellets, since it's pump.

On a tangent, what exactly is the deal with using your own basement as a range for real ammo? Once I get my LTC, I expect I'll pick up a Ruger .22 as my first gun, and it would be quite convenient if I could shoot in my own basement (have enough room for at least a 25' range). I always assumed it was illegal to discharge a firearm in a residence. Whether my wife would approve is another matter altogether.

Cool. Airguns are good cheap fun. [smile]

I have a Benjamin HB .177 pump air pistol that is surprisingly accurate and fun to shoot up the basement with. I can't wait to see what it will do with a scope on it, because the iron sights aren't great. I have a scope base intermount on order that I'm waiting for. Only cost is that of pellets, since it's pump.

On a tangent, what exactly is the deal with using your own basement as a range for real ammo? Once I get my LTC, I expect I'll pick up a Ruger .22 as my first gun, and it would be quite convenient if I could shoot in my own basement (have enough room for at least a 25' range). I always assumed it was illegal to discharge a firearm in a residence. Whether my wife would approve is another matter altogether.

Not a question of legality. As I said, have two areas marked off, both 30 ft. Am concerned about safety. As stated, this "Do All" trap is rated for both .17 and .22. Use a cardboard backer to seal off the opening and put the target on the front of it. Have had no "spits" and all is contained within the trap.

Can only wait until spring and I will test this trap in my backyard with .22. Until I am absolutely sure there will be no splash/splatter from live rounds, will not use same indoors....regardless of trap rating.[wink]

I have a pellet-only trap that I use in my basement at all of 19'. I got it as I was tired of the mess made by using a cardboard box stuffed full of cardboard. I haven't been happy with the amount of pellets that bounce out (only a foot or two), but I'm about to stop using it, as it looks like it's creating lead dust. I think I will stuff it with cardboard again, so as to keep lead fragments from piling up in my basement. I probably could use a lower power gun too.

You could buy some duct seal at Home Depot or Lowes and use it in your trap. Use a couple of inches at least for a medium power pellet gun. It's the stuff in the electric area not plumbers putty or playdo :).
It does a good job lowering the noise level if you put it in the back of the target.
If you plan on shooting inside you should only do it if you have good ventilation. Lead dust from the barrel and target area can build up quickly. Use a mask with appropriate filter and exhaust the air from the basement asap. Handling the spent lead should be done with surgical gloves.

You can't be too safe with lead.

I have a pellet-only trap that I use in my basement at all of 19'. I got it as I was tired of the mess made by using a cardboard box stuffed full of cardboard. I haven't been happy with the amount of pellets that bounce out (only a foot or two), but I'm about to stop using it, as it looks like it's creating lead dust. I think I will stuff it with cardboard again, so as to keep lead fragments from piling up in my basement. I probably could use a lower power gun too.

To make a nice pellet trap, a lot of guys use a steel electrical box, say 12"X14" or so in size and stuff it with Duct Seal, which is a thick, sticky, putty like substance, similar to modeling clay. The duct seal and electrical box can both be bought at a Blue or Orange box store. Or, go to any electrical supply house. Just fashion a spring clip to hold the target.

BTW, if you look in the NES Yardsale section, Chaynes68 is selling an IZH-46M target pistol. A good one is a very accurate, single shot, single pump pistol. You don't need to go buy CO2 to shoot it and is virtually recoil free.

Last edited:

Have experimented and found that if you take a piece of cardboard that covers the opening, there is no splash. The same piece can be rotated when point of impact creates a hole.

Thought. If cardboard is not handy, use the everyday paper lawn/leaf bags that you might regularly pick up from Benny's, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Have tried a couple and they work great. Cut them to cover the mouth of the trap, and you can get at least 3-4 "backers" out of one bag. Just as good as cardboard, if not better.

No bounce, no splash, etc. The "Do All" trap contains all and the "covering" precludes anything getting out.

Grin, today, while my wife was out shopping, set up my stuff on the "range" and very slowly and deliberately went through 14 eight-shot "cylinders". I do not call these things "mags"...they are not. Took two CO2 cylinders...one for each of the seven. There was air left over after each one....no problem...want the consistency. Am looking to keep my eyes in shape and need reliable function. Can't get reliability if you milk the CO2 down to its very last shot.[wink]

Had an enjoyable time, and when my wife came back home and opened the garage door, sort of ignored the trap that was set up on a table. Helped her with bags and she asked, "How did you do?" Grin, got to love it! [wink]

To make a nice pellet trap, a lot of guys use a steel electrical box, say 12"X14" or so in size and stuff it with Duct Seal, which is a thick, sticky, putty like substance, similar to modeling clay. The duct seal and electrical box can both be bought at a Blue or Orange box store. Or, go to any electrical supply house. Just fashion a spring clip to hold the target.

BTW, if you look in the NES Yardsale section, Chaynes68 is selling an IZH-46M target pistol. A good one is a very accurate, single shot, single pump pistol. You don't need to go buy CO2 to shoot it and is virtually recoil free.

Thank you and also to nlieber. Your info is appreciated.

Am not looking for "single shot", which is why I picked up the Desert Eagle. Want to simply keep my "eyes" in shape during the winter. Grin, my wife may not understand this logic, even though I am coaching her with her .22 rifle.

Different note...no way am I ever going to disparage "single shot". Back in "the day", was part of a military 4-man team that set a National Pistol Record in Air Pistol...yes I used a single shot, and yes, have the NRA certificate appropriately framed. [wink]

All moves on. Just trying to keep my aging eyes in shape during the winter. Love .45 ACP, 9 MM. and .357. .45 has been my mainstay over the years, and will be using it regularly next season. In the meantime, will "shoot up my garage" with the .177. [wink] [wink]

You could buy some duct seal at Home Depot or Lowes and use it in your trap. Use a couple of inches at least for a medium power pellet gun. It's the stuff in the electric area not plumbers putty or playdo :).
It does a good job lowering the noise level if you put it in the back of the target.
If you plan on shooting inside you should only do it if you have good ventilation. Lead dust from the barrel and target area can build up quickly. Use a mask with appropriate filter and exhaust the air from the basement asap. Handling the spent lead should be done with surgical gloves.

You can't be too safe with lead.

I agree, which is why I'm changing tactics. But I don't think there is much lead dust generated by firing pellets from an air gun...? Just from fragmentation, from hitting the trap. I was actually keeping the spent pellets, I read somewhere about donating them to whoever does blackpower/reloading; but I might give serious thought to the other suggestions.

I have been eyeballing CO2 pellet pistols since the day I started working at DSG. I have enough score points built up to well - score one for a good price. Not sure which one to get yet - may do a bit of research. Thanks for the re-inspiration...[cheers]

I agree, which is why I'm changing tactics. But I don't think there is much lead dust generated by firing pellets from an air gun...? Just from fragmentation, from hitting the trap. I was actually keeping the spent pellets, I read somewhere about donating them to whoever does blackpower/reloading; but I might give serious thought to the other suggestions.

Not sure about "donating". It would take an awful lot of spent .177's to make a pound.

Usually go a few days before I tip over the trap and empty the spent lead and target fragments. Tip them into my trash bucket...do not save and store. May not be "Green"...but its the way I do things, and, on a daily basis, seems to work OK. Grin, in the "Grand Scheme" of things, my paltry ounces going into the landfill, will not change the earth's orbit, will not change solar activity, and, for sure, will not bring on a colder winter. [wink]

I have been eyeballing CO2 pellet pistols since the day I started working at DSG. I have enough score points built up to well - score one for a good price. Not sure which one to get yet - may do a bit of research. Thanks for the re-inspiration...[cheers]

Go for it. Have used a couple of air pistols as a means of practice, but this "Desert Eagle" really has my attention. Have found that the "blowback" slide simulates other caliber function. It is large and fits my hand very well. The "cartridges", 8-shots each, have functioned flawlessly....not kidding at all. At this point, have used at least 50 of the 8-shot items (of course, over and over) and have never had a single malfunction....ever. Am pleased.

WARNING: If this is something you might consider, shy away from the package that includes the Walther PS22. Go for the base pistol.

Found that the PS22, red-dot sight was a total waste of money. Elevation, at 30-feet would not allow me to bring the groups into the bull. Adjustment screw was virtually "freewheeling" and did nothing. Grin, cranked and cranked, and all groups were still very low with a center hold. They were printing at 6 O'clock about 3 inches low, and I could do nothing to change it.

Finally got disgusted, took the sight off, painted a couple of white dots rear and flourescent orange front, and stuck with the "iron sights". At 30-feet, using a 6 o'clock hold, it is "dead on" with the factory sights. Any "flyers" has to be me...or the lead that has been kicking around since the early 70's. Other than that, the center is blown out.

All kidding aside, its an impressive piece, and the squirrels will be having some "sting" in the Spring. [wink]

Trigger needs getting used to...long takeup. No problem. Get to know the piece. Love the item and am having fun with it. Grin, when weather permits, will set something up outdoors and that will convert my wife to "home shooting". Take her to the range now, and she IS getting proficient with her .22 rifle, but she is still leery of me shooting in the garage. Have to work on that.[wink]

Go for it...you WILL have fun. Uses are only limited by imagination. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom