Do I Need Another Safety Course?

I took an NRA Personal Protection Course back in 1995 when I first got an LTC. I have since let the license lapse and am in the process of applying for a new one. Would this course satisfy the new requirement to take a State Police certified instruction course or should I plan on taking another class? Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

All course certificates that are acceptable would have to be post-10/21/98, when MSP gave out certification to instructors for the purposes of fund raising (and meeting the law).

Technically, any prior LTC can grandfather you, but most chiefs won't buy it if you let it lapse and they will require a new class.

Check the GOAL class schedule on www.goal.org or hook-up with an instructor at whatever club you belong to or near you.

Another good reason for taking a MA State Police approved Basic Firearms Safety Course is this: a good instructor can save you lots of legal grief by ensuring that you are trained on current Massachusetts firearms laws.

I have seen too many good, law-abiding gun owners get into trouble here in MA because they didn't know what the legislature expected of them. Learn from their mistakes, take a course.

Darius Arbabi

From the legal aspects alone, the world in MA has turned on its head since 1998!

BUT you have to watch out for BAD legal advice that may be given out as part of the course. I've heard plenty of it out of the mouths of NRA/MSP Instructors, LEOs, chiefs, as well as their students after they have taken a course.

My New Member Orientation Course at a gun club was given to 40 new members (including myself) in January 1999. The instructor was an NRA/MSP Instructor and retired PT PO who proceeded to tell all of us that if we used any targets SHAPED like a human we could be arrested on the spot without a warrant as a violation of the 1998 law. Knowing better and deciding not to challenge him publicly (I had no documentation to back me up in hand either), I went home and sent an Email to the club president (an attorney) with my backup citations. The club president made a point to correct the errant instructor and make it as a public announcement at the general membership meeting the following day. Problem was that I was the ONLY new member present and 39 others from that class probably still believe what they were told.

Back
Top Bottom