does anyone know how much Eastern Security Safe charges to deliever and setup a safe?

I recently ordered a safe from them and was planning on picking it up next weekend. Now, my help doesn't think we can get it into my basement and is trying to discourage me from doing it myself. I think mainly because he doesn't want to help. Anyways, now I'm debating about having the safe delivered. Does anyone know what they charge for delivery and installation? I would call myself but they are closed today.

Thanks,
Pete

Call and ask them tomorrow.

I believe that it depends on weight, where it's going, etc. I don't think they have a "standard charge" that works for 300# safe and would be the same for the 1500# model.

Not sure. I just have a cheap Sentry model 14 gun safe. It was still quite heavy (maybe 350 lbs). If you have or could borrow the following they will def help: a pickup, some good aluminim ramps and a dolly. If you are going into basement with dolly just leave safe on it (maybe want to tie it to dolly) and roll it down the stairs on step at a time. I've seen delivery guys do this going up and down stairs for large appliances. Good luck!

That is what I was going to do is just use an appliance dolly but my main helper doesn't think we can do it. I have 5-6 guys to help out. The guys at Eastern Security told me you strap the safe to the dolly and tie some ropes to it. Everyone stands behind the safe in case it falls. The safe gets bumped down one step at a time until it is in the basement. How hard can it be???

I was wondering if anyone rents an electric dolly. They have appliance dollies that climb stairs but I don't know if anyone rents them out for the day. That would be our best bet. We have access to a box truck so that isn't an issue.

Pete, I haven't heard from you since I sent the pictures. I guess you're not interested. A reply would have been appreciated

My back hurts just reading this post...

The hard part is that really only 2 people can get a hand on the dolly as it goes down the bulk head. And for the first 2-3 steps it is hard to get a good grip because the center of mass is waste high and the handles of the dolly are shoulder high. Not very good mechanics.

moving fees are a temporary pain, but back pain is forever... believe me...

One idea: if you really want to do it yourself and it is going down a bulk head you could:

1) Rent a vertical lift, like a Genie lift, assuming you can get one rated for the mass of the safe that weighs considerably less than the safe (they make them, but don't know if you can rent one). Put it in the basement.

2) temporarily remove the wooden steps from the bulkhead (assuming your's are built like mine). You now have a ~8-10' drop into the basement.

3) Raise the lift platform up. Move the safe onto it. Lower it gently to the basement.

4) reinstall stairs and return the lift.

or... just hire they guys to do it!

Last edited:
I bought a Champion safe, it is a Victory 35 model about 3 years ago from Eastern safe. they are in Mendon, I am in Bellingham. Probably five miles from here. I had them deliver it, my back is worth way more than the $300. delivery charge. They brought it to the house up 3 stairs through the front door and into the back room about 20' and set it in the corner. I thought the price was high but again my back is worth way more.

I paid more than that; about $ 500. Then again, the safe weighs over 900 pounds and they used a pallet jack to get it around back by the bulkhead (poured concrete stairs; not wooden inserts) and used a TRICK motorized crawler to walk the safe down the stairs, through the bulkhead and onto the 4 x 4s in the corner of the basement I selected.

Then they leveled the safe, checked the door and lock operations and I was "good to go." Added about 30% to the cost of the safe, but I'd never have gotten down there otherwise.

Pete, I haven't heard from you since I sent the pictures. I guess you're not interested. A reply would have been appreciated

I apologize for not getting back to you. You mentioned you had someone else on the safe and I was still unsure which one I wanted to buy. I previously had put the safe on hold at Eastern Security Safe as I told you after I hadn't heard from you. Sorry for not being more forward.

Pete

My safe is 850# I put it in the cellar myself with a dolly and a come along.

It is much easier to handle removing the door as that is the heaviest part of the safe. Since I did not have help, I left it all in one piece.

I have the gear, but unfortunately you are too far away. Do you know anyone that has a wrecker????

Regards,

Last edited:
That is what I was going to do is just use an appliance dolly but my main helper doesn't think we can do it. I have 5-6 guys to help out. The guys at Eastern Security told me you strap the safe to the dolly and tie some ropes to it. Everyone stands behind the safe in case it falls. The safe gets bumped down one step at a time until it is in the basement. How hard can it be???

Many safes have doors that can be lifted off the hinges when open. This greatly reduces the weight you need to move in one trip and lets it balance better on the dolly.

When I got mine I didn't want to scratch it so I left it in the cardboard box it came in . After I got it in place I cut the box off the safe and found the directions which told you how to remove the door to ease installation. Next time I'll read the directions first.[smile]

I figured that paying Eastern a couple hundred $ was cheap insurance. They did great work, I didn't hurt my back or drop it on my foot.

It will cost me $450 to have them deliever it and set it up. I'll find a way to get it in my basement. Now I just need to get the crew out to help me. That will be hte hard part I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom