• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dracut renewal process - anyone renewed in Dracut recently and know the process?

KAYSPOP

Banned
Moved to Dracut 3 years ago, license was issued in another town, expires late AugustBack in March I submitted my renewal app. and the Lieutenant said he couldn't even consider it til 90 days before expiration (I expire late August)....haven't heard yet from for the initial "meeting" that the secretary said is the first step...I'm just looking at the calendar and wondering....Is anyone familiar with Dracut? And do I need reference letters etc etc for a renewal like I did with the initial granting of my license (which was from another town)

I am interested in this too. Im moving to Dracut next week from Lowell. I have a sporting restriction right now because I am licensed in Lowell (expires June 2014). Does this mean that I will have to wait until it expires until I can reapply in Dracut for my ALP? And I see that Dracut is now RED, has getting ALP been a problem for anyone in this town recently?

You make an appt 90 days before expiration. for a renewal, if you put 'ALP' you will usually get it. For a first time license holder, 90% get restricted; that goes to ALP on the renewal.

I am interested in this too. Im moving to Dracut next week from Lowell. I have a sporting restriction right now because I am licensed in Lowell (expires June 2014). Does this mean that I will have to wait until it expires until I can reapply in Dracut for my ALP? And I see that Dracut is now RED, has getting ALP been a problem for anyone in this town recently?

You don't have to wait. Try to get the chief to expire it early and apply in Dracut. This takes a little finesse but it is possible.

You don't have to wait. Try to get the chief to expire it early and apply in Dracut. This takes a little finesse but it is possible.

If dracut is also a red town just keep your LTC cause is going to come out the same A-Restricted, just mail in a address change

If dracut is also a red town just keep your LTC cause is going to come out the same A-Restricted, just mail in a address change

I don't know how you come to that conclusion. What information are you relying on?

I'm not trying to be argumentative but it just seems like so many on this board draw conclusions based on what they hear and adopt it as fact. The thinking that "it is what it is" won't get your restrictions lifted. You have to think outside the box. I just wonder what is going on when I hear people say "this is what is going to happen....." or "you'll never get an unrestricted license in this town so don't bother....."
These conclusions often do not coincide with what I have experienced through several applications in any particular town.

I think alot of people are discouraged on this board. It's too bad because often if you think outside the box and put alot of effort in you will get the license you want.

From what I have seen and experienced Dracut is almost always giving first time applicants a restriction, renewals on the other hand will get unrestricted if they ask for it. I have had no problems with renewals despite being late to renew. ( not recommended to let license lapse) Renewals don't need letters of recommendation or a recent class either. The biggest issue was getting the appointment to reapply. Start early, you will need patience. Always best to check on current requirements when you request an appointment.
YMMV

Best way is to just move to a green town,or if you know some one at the station put them down as a reference that should get you unrestricted

I don't know how you come to that conclusion. What information are you relying on?

I'm not trying to be argumentative but it just seems like so many on this board draw conclusions based on what they hear and adopt it as fact. The thinking that "it is what it is" won't get your restrictions lifted. You have to think outside the box. I just wonder what is going on when I hear people say "this is what is going to happen....." or "you'll never get an unrestricted license in this town so don't bother....."
These conclusions often do not coincide with what I have experienced through several applications in any particular town.

I think alot of people are discouraged on this board. It's too bad because often if you think outside the box and put alot of effort in you will get the license you want.

If he can get a unrestricted LTC go for it good for him,but if he can't get it and he waist a lot of $$$$ trying to is going to suck,
I use to live in lowell and i have family member that are Lowell cops I put them down and still restricted and then I tried different ways and nothing worked so I just moved to a green town

Jesse - I am also in the same situtation. Would I have to request that the Lowell Police, who issued my LTC with Sporting restrictions, expire my current license? Or would the correct way to pursue this matter be to just deal with the Dracut police chief?

Jesse - I am also in the same situtation. Would I have to request that the Lowell Police, who issued my LTC with Sporting restrictions, expire my current license? Or would the correct way to pursue this matter be to just deal with the Dracut police chief?

What i did when i left lowell in jan,

All you got to do is 1st talk to the chief in the new town and check if he can do a early renewal if he says yes, go down to the Lowell police and she will cancel your license with no problem she did mine under five minutes, then go back to new town fill new app

The current cheif has been known to expire a license early if you move to a new/green town. Give the licensing dept a call to verify.

- - - Updated - - -

If you cancel your lowell license and then apply to a new town...what do you do with all your firearms while you wait in the mean time until the license is issued?

What i did when i left lowell in jan,

All you got to do is 1st talk to the chief in the new town and check if he can do a early renewal if he says yes, go down to the Lowell police and she will cancel your license with no problem she did mine under five minutes, then go back to new town fill new app

The current cheif has been known to expire a license early if you move to a new/green town. Give the licensing dept a call to verify.

- - - Updated - - -

If you cancel your lowell license and then apply to a new town...what do you do with all your firearms while you wait in the mean time until the license is issued?

I my self keep them but is up to you, they told me i got 90 day my new town officer put in my app the next day As a renewal when I cancel my Lowell one

Back
Top Bottom