Easy Question: Nonresident LTC required for rifle target shooting? NH-MA

Ive been searching sites and cant find something specific enough that it makes me comfortable....so i figure i'll ask:

If I live in NH and own a rifle, what is required if I want to bring it to a MA range to shoot? Is there such thing as a non-resident FID card? I cant find one anywhere. Do I need to get a non-res LTC for just a rifle?

Ill be getting one anyways, but it will take a bit to acquire, so I wanted to know if i was limited to NH until I got that in terms of rifle-only. I havent been able to find something that specifically differentiates between handguns and rifles for nonresident permits.

I did find a sticky in the training section that had ALMOST an answer, but it still seemed to be up in the air since this isnt training, just your run-of-the-mill target practice.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as a NON-resident FID card. You will need a Non-resident LTC if you are doing anything but hunting or competing in formal matches.

From www.nra.org:
A non-resident may possess a rifle or shotgun in Massachusetts:
1. While hunting and in possession of a valid hunting license.
2. While on a firing or shooting range.
3. While traveling in or through Massachusetts if the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and enclosed in a case.
4. While at a firearms show organized by a “regularly existing gun collector’s club or association.”
5. If he or she has a license or permit to possess any firearm in his or her home state, if its licensing requirements are as stringent as those of Massachusetts, as indicated by a published list of such states promulgated by the colonel of state police.

Ive been searching sites and cant find something specific enough that it makes me comfortable....so i figure i'll ask:

If I live in NH and own a rifle, what is required if I want to bring it to a MA range to shoot? Is there such thing as a non-resident FID card? I cant find one anywhere. Do I need to get a non-res LTC for just a rifle?

Ill be getting one anyways, but it will take a bit to acquire, so I wanted to know if i was limited to NH until I got that in terms of rifle-only. I havent been able to find something that specifically differentiates between handguns and rifles for nonresident permits.

I did find a sticky in the training section that had ALMOST an answer, but it still seemed to be up in the air since this isnt training, just your run-of-the-mill target practice.

The only way around that Tik is for you to meet someone at the border that's licensed in MA, let them take "possession" of the rifle, go to the range and shoot with them, then repeat the process in reverse to go home.

Here's that actual M.G.L Chapter 140 Section 129c

The provisions of this section shall not apply to the following exempted persons and uses:
(g) Possession of rifles and shotguns and ammunition therefor by nonresidents while on a firing or shooting range;

(h) Possession of rifles and shotguns and ammunition therefor by nonresidents traveling in or through the commonwealth, providing that any rifles or shotguns are unloaded and enclosed in a case;
IANAL, but if this is the law then why couldn't a non-resident like tiktock transport a rifle to a range in MA, use it, then transport it back to NH? Is there another law that contradicts this one?

Nope - bringing a gun in to MA to shoot you need an NR LTC. He can shoot while here, under the direction of a licensed MA resident, and he can travel through the state with it unloaded and locked up. Without a non-res, he can't just come in to shoot by himself, unless it's a sanctioned shoot as mentioned in another thread.

Back
Top Bottom