End of an era - the CH-46.

Osprey are a death trap. Imagine being in an OGE hover and the left side gets into a complex stall region (settling with power) due to wind direction and the right one doesn't/ or an OGE hover and try to autorotate that thing..... Roll on landings only and welp have fun with them props/blades when they strike the ground then enter the fuselage.
Anything that has 2 or more rotor blades can get into ground resonance. Just mess with the vibration absorbers in the original huey, or strike one skid toe first and set it down. You'll feel it reallllll quick. Then hover and you're all set.
The Phrog's were great aircraft and became cost-unaffective due to parts availability and airframe corrosion/ fatigue. biggest complaint of being around them is the noise inside the cargo area. Being a 60 Pilot I am very biased toward my A/A+/L/M but I understand the CH47 and 46. They serve a role that is completely impractical for a 60 to fill. I am excited for the CH53K to come out with a combined gross of ~88,000# get you some of that.

I am scared to death of the Osprey, they are just wrong. Too slow on approach, too delicate, not good enough. I wish the military would understand that training wins wars not technology. You want all this cool wiz-bang crap that works great when IMC or not being detected by radar; sweet. In our current environment stealth is dumb. The cost of one of our stealth planes we could have 10 jets that are faster more maneuverable and carry more. IDK what the defense department was thinking with this technological warfare crap.
Also excited for the S97 raider to come out... I really hope I get to fly one before I retire in like 30 years. National guard is the last to get the fun stuff.

Of course. And that's not the only one either. Every try to pop start a Phrog?

- - - Updated - - -

My old squadron HMM-261. Call sign Elvis. My BUNO was 6421.

I was aircrew in the navy (flew in E-2B's). My first helo ride was in a '46....lots of fun lifting off the deck of the USS Nimitz...a true workhorse.

Back
Top Bottom