EOTech 516 & 517 Holosight info?

Cuz

NES Member
Does anyone have a EOTech 516 or 517 Holosight? I'm considering one for my AR15 because I think it will fit on my limited rail length and still allow me to mount a BUIS in front of it. I have a Bushmaster AR (A3 type) and when I remove the handle I want to be able to add electronic optics, but still maintain the ability to use backup iron sights. I know nothing about rifles so I'd like to hear from anyone who has any suggestions as to what kind of optics I can mount and still maintain the ability to have backup iron sights in case they are needed.

Thanks,
- Cuz.

I have a 512 that I use with a GG&G quick release and a BUIS.

ar_light.jpg

I have the 516 and it works out great! Because the battery compartment is slightly elevated above the rest of the unit, I can position it out further forward - out over the handguard slightly. This does free up room a the rear of the rail for BUIS.

This set-up eliminates the need for secondary mount.

NESAR004.jpg

Of course, one of my favorite features of this sight is that is uses the CR123 batteries - just like my tactical flashlights. Bought in bulk, they're still pretty reasonably priced.

I have the 516 and it works out great! Because the battery compartment is slightly elevated above the rest of the unit, I can position it out further forward - out over the handguard slightly. This does free up room a the rear of the rail for BUIS.

This set-up eliminates the need for secondary mount.

NESAR004.jpg

Of course, one of my favorite features of this sight is that is uses the CR123 batteries - just like my tactical flashlights. Bought in bulk, they're still pretty reasonably priced.

Do the iron sights work without removing the EOTech? I have limited rail space which is why I am considering these units in particular. Either one can be mounted forward on the rail leaving room for BUIS. I just can't decide which battery platform I want. I'm leaning toward the AA just because they are more widely available, but I like the shorter unit. These are the decisions that keep me up at night...

Thanks for that picture, it's what I was looking for.
-Cuz.

Can't answer your specific question, but would highly recommend buying the Eotech on ebay.

I just picked up a NIB 512 on ebay for a lower price than any supplier that I checked on line.

Can't answer your specific question, but would highly recommend buying the Eotech on ebay.

I just picked up a NIB 512 on ebay for a lower price than any supplier that I checked on line.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind once I actually decide which model I want.
-Cuz.

Do the iron sights work without removing the EOTech?

Absolutely. They are set up so they "co-witness" with the EOTech sighting ring. If you look through the scope when it's on, you'll see that a proper sight picture with the iron sights results in the center EOTech dot being located at the top of the front sight post.

Of course, when you don't need them, just flip the iron sights down out of the way.

Swatmedic,
Can I see a pic of this mounted on your AR? Does this mount to the rail that's already on the rifle? This actually looks pretty interesting.
-Cuz.

I don't know if I have a picture handy. The eotech mounts to the unit, and the unit mounts to the rails of the rifle. Mine puts the red dot right at the tip of the front sight.

Keep in mind that the current required by the AA batteries will be double that of the CR123 since the wattage the sight needs is the same regardless, but the voltage of the AA's is half that of the CR123. So, you are likely to see a much shorter battery life with the AA's than with the CR123's.

as for availability, I just order them in bulk from the web. They have a guaranteed 10 year shelf life and will likely last a lot longer. Can't say the same about Alkaline AA's.

As it is, if I were to have AA's in there, I'd be using the Energizer Lithium anyway, so why not just use the Lithium CR123?

My Beowulf is topped with an EoTech 556. Side controls, high mount, Night Vision, CR123.

No BUIS because I free floated the barrel and used a low profile gas block.

AR2.jpg

NES-AR-Shooin.jpg

My family wants to get me a "nice" X-mas gift this year...
I have been thinking of getting an EOTech (512) with a GG&G Accucam Quick Detach for my AR.
The only thing holding me back is: Will a holo sight be useful? No doubt in close combat this sight is deadly....but how are they for regular everyday use on the range, shooting 100-200 yards?
tx

I have been thinking of getting an EOTech (512) with a GG&G Accucam Quick Detach for my AR.
The only thing holding me back is: Will a holo sight be useful? No doubt in close combat this sight is deadly....but how are they for regular everyday use on the range, shooting 100-200 yards?
tx
You'd want a 3X magnifier for those distances.

tx

The dot is 1 MOA, so they're great for 100-200 yard shooting. This target I shot standing at 100 yards. The 4 fliers were when I tried out walking towards the target while firing:

IMG_3370.jpg

Its done..
Just ordered up the EOTech 512 and GG&G quick detach mount(and a tactical rail for the Mini-30 to mount the Bushnell rd on)
course....I can't have anything until X-mas [crying] can you believe....41years old and I still have to sneak presents....

hehe

Back
Top Bottom