F/TR build on a budget

Okay, opinions here please...

...a new Savage FV in .308 with a 1 in 10" twist, dropped in a B&C stock...

... a Remington Model 700 XCR in .308 with a 1 in 12" twist, (already in a B&C stock)...

...or maybe even this new 700 VTR? (Has anyone found a review/test of this strange triangle barrel tactical rifle?)

And yes the new Savage F/TR is by all accounts a phenomenal shooter, but is just too bench gun, and not enough tactical for me.

Thanks

JR

+1 on 6mmBR.com - lots of good info there.

For Savage, savageshooters.com

I'd go Savage, but I started shooting them just because they're lefty friendly, and easy to work on.

I haven't tried F/TR yet. My first Savage was a 10FLP (10FP in right hand), tossed the Savage tupperware stock for a B&C Duramax that I had to convert to left hand. If it's in the budget, B&C Medalist stocks are nice. The Duramax needed bedding and clearance sanding to work right. The best part about the Savage (I think) is that the only "gunsmith required" level of work is some of the bolt mods. Changing calibers takes me about a half hour, less if I don't have to change the bolt head.

Not as pretty as a Remington, but I like 'em.

I REALLY like Savages. My brother has a model 25 .17HMR with a thumbhole stock, and I have a F/TR (about the best bench gun you can get under $3,000).

What are you using it for? If you are shooting long range target I would go with the faster twist rate for .308. The Remington XCR has been getting outstanding reviews and I might consider getting one down the line. I do not think that the VTR comes in anything larger than .223. I think it is strictly for varmit. But then again anything that you are not shooting to eat, it doesn't really matter how big in bore you go.

Back
Top Bottom