FA-10 for a CMP rifle

Do I need to fill out an FA-10 for a CMP rifle? My inclination is "yes," but I haven't been able to find a specific answer. Thanks!

ANY gun you obtain, no matter how or from where it came, that you bring into MA (or gets given/transferred to you) MUST have an FA-10 form filed out.

If between two MA Licensed parties, it is a "transfer".

If only the receiver is a MA Licensed party (e.g. CMP, bought in NH, willed to you from NV, etc.) then it is a "registration".

Instructions for all are on the cover sheet for each FA-10 that you obtain from a PD or CHSB.

Edited for content- question answered.

Criminal History Systems Board (CHSB) is where you can get additional FA10 forms.

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:
Another question as the CMP is nonprofit and does not have FFL # I just left the area blank when I submitted the FA-10 form to MA. I did call CMP to see if they could give me any indication but they did not know.

Is that how others have done it?

Yup, you just fill it out as a "registration" which does not require any info for the 'seller' field, thats how I have always done it with my C&R. You only need to fill out the weapon info and your info then send it in.

IIRC the FA10 does not ask for a FFL #, it asks for their MA Dealers license #.

*edit*

Just to clarify, I never put info in for the seller part when using the C&R. Last thing we need is for MA to bully more companies into not selling to MA residents.

Last edited:
I guess you didn't read the instructions on the FA-10 form, right?

NO that is NOT how you are supposed to do it. The answer has been posted here numerous times before.

You REGISTER a gun you obtain that was NOT from a MA LTC/FID holder or MA Dealer. ONLY MA Dealer and FTF deals are "TRANSFERS" on the FA-10. Instructions for these differences are printed on the cover sheet for every form you pickup at a PD or CHSB sends you. Reading the instructions PRIOR to filling in the blanks can really pay off! [rolleyes]

I did read the instructions and filed it as "registration" - I did fill out the seller information being the CMP excluding any FFL # as they don't have one.
So I figure that is correct from the way I read the instructions.

Ok I understand I did not have to fill out any seller information just the buyer and details on the firearm as a registration. Sorry to be a hassle just trying to do the right thing.

Reading Comprehension Test!

REGISTRATION INSTRUCTIONS

1. Please put an "X" in the box for registration located at the top left corner of the form.
  2. Complete the weapon information and the buyer/purchaser information sections of the form.
  3. Please sign on the buyer's signature line located at the bottom of the form.

The above is quoted from one of my FA-10s (with a date code of 1/22/99 on it).

Now I'm going to sound like Scriv . . . so be forewarned! [Nothing personal against any particular individual.]

I really hope that some day some rocket scientist who can't understand the form instructions and holds a C&R FFL gets a visit from LEOs (combined BATFE and local PD) with warrants for his arrest for "illegal purchase of a handgun across state lines"! [Fill out the form with seller info from NON-MA source on a handgun is prima fascia evidence of a FED FELONY as well as violation of MGLs.]

Maybe after someone spends $50K or so defending themselves against these sort of charges, and it gets major press coverage . . . and ONLY then, will some folks get an understanding of WHY not to put seller info on an FA-10 form from an outside MA source.

Wondering aboout that too Len...

Anywhere except a few bastions of stupidity, you can purchase a pistol from out of state but it must go from an FFL on both ends of the pipeline to be legal. I know MA makes it quite frankly impossible for current stuff.

Joe R. ( who could be wrong but likes the discussions of this stuff. [grin] )

Anywhere except a few bastions of stupidity, you can purchase a pistol from out of state but it must go from an FFL on both ends of the pipeline to be legal.

Then it must be a state law, because the Feds only require an FFL in the buyer's state.

Then it must be a state law, because the Feds only require an FFL in the buyer's state.

No, your right as I just read this. If I lived in Idaho, I could buy a Glock 20 from CDNN and have it sent to a local dealer. I was being overly cautious but that is legal in real states.

Joe R.

No, MA will allow you to buy a gun from your Brother in Oregon, he ships it to a MA dealer and you do the transfer here. All perfectly legal.

My reference was NOT for CMP directly (they are PROHIBITED from selling handguns {any more}), but as a C&R I can buy a C&R handgun from xyz distributor in East Overshoe, MI and have it shipped to my house. All perfectly legal.

Now, if I was stupid enough to put xyz distributor from East Overshoe, MI on an FA-10 as a "transfer" (like many here advocate) and mail it in. It would be prima fascia evidence of an interstate transfer of a handgun (remember, NO place on an FA-10 can you put a C&R FFL number). If the state pulled your FA-10, notified the BATFE, you could get an unpleasant visit and airest warrant. You'd get the opportunity to sort it out in court after paying thousands in legal fees, having a permanent arrest record, and raising questions about those "C&R FFL renegades buying mail-order guns"! I'd bet one good case and a bill would be filed (like CA) to prohibit handguns (they'd try for all guns) being bought interstate with a C&R FFL (CA must go to a CA Dealer).

Back
Top Bottom