Feeler on a long range shooting class taught by an Iraq Vet Marine scout sniper

There was some interest on the forum for training in long range shooting , range estimating, adjusting for range and wind and such . So I asked my MMA old training partner Jason if he would be interested in doing a basic class for us and he said yes to a class. I told Jason that we would compensate him for helping us and he doesn’t expect much all we all will have to do is throw in some money to make it worth his time . I think 50 to 100 bucks a person would be nice way to say thanks for the class and to thank him for serving our country.

For a date on the class I am thinking early to mid spring when the weather warms up and for a location I have a spot which we can get out to 800 plus yards in south central NH but we would have to keep the class small for this location . Jason lives in Milton Ma and I know most members on here live in Ma also so if anyone that is interested and has access to a long range spot in MA that would work also

If you think you might be interested in the let me know and I will get the ball rolling on getting it together

Info from real snipers is always better than keyboard snipers! This sounds very cool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Interested depending on time this will be held and what my financial situation is at the time.

If we do the class at my long range sweet spot we might have to limit the class size to 10 to 15 people its little known public shooting spot that I have shot out to 550 yards with a ton of range left to go. I will talk to Jason and see what he will like to see for gear and i will work with him on a date and details.

What kind of rifle would one need for such a class--would an AR15 20" with a 4x scope suffice?

I am sure it would work out to 500 yards or so. He did say it would be best if we could match the weapon system that he trained with and used in the Marines so we can get the most out the class in his words " hes an expert in that system and wouldnt want to pretend to one in a system that he does not know" I will ask him what the system was that they used put i do think a good 308 bolt action and a good mil dot scope will get you close as you need.

Since I have some time to get the funds together I would say I am interested depending location and date.

I am sure it would work out to 500 yards or so. He did say it would be best if we could match the weapon system that he trained with and used in the Marines so we can get the most out the class in his words " hes an expert in that system and wouldnt want to pretend to one in a system that he does not know" I will ask him what the system was that they used put i do think a good 308 bolt action and a good mil dot scope will get you close as you need.

Okay I understand. What I have now is the AR with a 4x ACOG. It as clear as a 4x gets but no mil dot and obviously not as precise if other are using 308 bolt actions with 10x scopes. I'd like to get a bolt action--there have been some great deals in the classifieds--but my local range is kind of short so it would just frustrate me. But I might just get a decent 10x mil dot for the AR by spring to play around with.

It would be great to pair up with a good spotting scope for every two people and do some shooting/observing. I do this with friends and you learn a lot just observing: record estimates, shots, and talking about what you're doing.

Maybe put an equipment list together and see what your friend thinks: shooters mat, spotter, 200 rounds of "good ammo", sun glasses, hat/rain gear, you equipment's manual and adjustment tools, rest/bipod/sling, water / food, etc. You can take a look at what Sig and others suggest for equipment too.

Okay I understand. What I have now is the AR with a 4x ACOG. It as clear as a 4x gets but no mil dot and obviously not as precise if other are using 308 bolt actions with 10x scopes. I'd like to get a bolt action--there have been some great deals in the classifieds--but my local range is kind of short so it would just frustrate me. But I might just get a decent 10x mil dot for the AR by spring to play around with.

It would be great to pair up with a good spotting scope for every two people and do some shooting/observing. I do this with friends and you learn a lot just observing: record estimates, shots, and talking about what you're doing.

Maybe put an equipment list together and see what your friend thinks: shooters mat, spotter, 200 rounds of "good ammo", sun glasses, hat/rain gear, you equipment's manual and adjustment tools, rest/bipod/sling, water / food, etc. You can take a look at what Sig and others suggest for equipment too.

You can stretch good 5.56 ammo out to 800 without too many issues, but with a 4x ACOG, you're probably not going to be playing in the same league. Grabbing some new glass sounds like a good solution

What I have now is the AR with a 4x ACOG.
A friend had great success with a heavy barrelled AR to 600yrds. At 800 the bullet went subsonic and tumbled. To stay supersonic at long ranges you want the longest (lowest drag) bullet you can chamber and the twist will stabilize. Low drag is more important than high muzzel velocity. For scopes, 9X works, 16X is nice and 24X is overkill. For 600yrds the scope needs at least 18 MOA of elevation adjustment. For 800yrds you may need more than 25MOA of come-up. Mil-dots are nice, but you can get by with a standard duplex hunting reticle the 1st time out.

i have read good reviews on the millet tactical scopes there in the $200 to $300 range on ebay . They seem like alot of scope for the money and might be a good stepping stone scope for you if you like the style of scope you can allways upgrade to a better quality scope in the future and sell the millet to close to what you paid for it

No bolt action .308 in the house but do have a 82A1 with a Swarovski Barrett scope or a 99 in .416 with a Bushnell Elite scope. Either of the Barretts OK?

i know for a fact he knows and has used the barrett overseas he once told me a story about blowning a wall apart while suppressing some insurgents that were behind it. But i think that will be way too much gun for the spot we might use and it just might tear up the gongs that i am welding up at work for the class but i would love to see it in action [sad2] . He did express that he didnt like the barrett system and he prefered the M40 platform

Back
Top Bottom