Feeling bored/lonely at the range

I prefer to go to the range buy myself. I'm new to shooting so its nice to be able to practice and dial in my accuracy without tons of other shots going off around me.

Thanks everyone.

I think part of it what range you belong to.

I don't have a problem with the range. I belong to a decent club with good facilities.

If you're terribly bored, maybe you could take up an apprentice.

There are lots of new shooters out there looking for someone to show them the way. I happen to be one of them - three guns in and have yet to shoot any of them.

That's an interesting thought. Where are you located?

I don't particularly enjoy going by myself either. If you have any, take your kids.

I would love to take my 11-year old but wife would have a fit...It's a long story. [rolleyes]

Big Red, were you shooting at the Brookfield R&G or the other club that you belong too?
I could not join you every Sat. but I could join you occasionally.

I did not renew my membership at Brookfield R&G. I really didn't like the outdoor range. I go shooting just about every Saturday so if you feel like joining me send me a PM.

Try IDPA. There is usually a match or two every weekend during warmer months.

That is what I am thinking.

Red....PM us and we can meet up! Its only a ten minute ride up the road!

Damn BR I just got back from the range, I was sighting in the new scope for my AK. I brought my sister along. Just let me know if you want to meet up sometime.

Mrs. Magnum and Mikey, thanks for the offer. I will be in touch. [wink]

I think boredom at the range alone is more a state of mind than a state of being - it is what you make it....I find zen it it at times...

"State of mind" you say? Perhaps that is why I feel like I am in a funk of sorts.

life was good today

Got up this morning--it was raining so I ran errands. When I was done, the lawn was still too wet to mow so I went to the range. I was there for FIVE hours! It was a blast! [sorry]. The sun was out--big puffy white clouds-lush green grass--not a soul around. Once the ear protection was on, I was isolated from the world and all the stress.

I finally had time to zero a scope on a Ruger Mini-14 Competition model I purchased earlier this year. I am still a newbie. This was the first time I did this so I was glad to have the place to myself. I think I would have felt a little foolish reading the manual with others around. It would have probably taken less time if someone more experienced was there to help. But, it was really satisfying to eventually ring the steel plate at 228 meters knowing that I set it up all by my self.

Then I was off to the pistol range. I put 500 rounds through my S&W 22A--the first handgun I ever purchased. Then I shot another 200 rounds through my most recent acquisition--a Sig 239 in .40S&W.

I enjoy shooting with others but the solitude was just what the doctor needed today. Unfortunately, the lawn was still waiting for me...[frown]

PS--I also learned that I need more magazines for everything![wink]

[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

OP: start a regional social group.

Great idea! I think I've bumped into you once or twice Big_Red, maybe we can get a local group going on the weekend. I usually go alone because I have trouble finding people and time, CRSIII is nearby and belongs to my club as well and would definitely be interested, what say? [smile]

I like shooting outdoor range by myself on a nice day. Indoors? gets old fast.

Yeah I agree. I'd rather shoot outdoors regardless of the conditions than shoot indoors. I belong to two ranges - Shirley and Harvard. I usually have Shirley to myself, which is good when I'm chronoing loads or testing stuff out. I don't mind shooting alone.

If I want company I go to Harvard. I can usually find someone I know.

Great idea! I think I've bumped into you once or twice Big_Red, maybe we can get a local group going on the weekend. I usually go alone because I have trouble finding people and time, CRSIII is nearby and belongs to my club as well and would definitely be interested, what say? [smile]

Definitely interested. [smile]

My favorite time is in the dead of winter. Our 200-yard range benches are fully enclosed and there's a wood stove inside. I get a raging fire going and head out to shoot 50 and 100-yards. I love it when I shoot the SOCOM-16/Troy MCS on a clam winter day - the blast from the 16" barrel knocks snow off the roof and the falling flakes sizzle on the hot barrel...[wink] When I get cold, I head in and shoot 200 for a while, then relax by the fire...

Where is this? This club sounds like heaven on a winter's day.

I bring a close buddy some of you have met almost every time I go shooting.

What I love most is bringing new people. New friends, old friends, family, whoever. Pretty much every session ends with "How long does it take to get your license?"

Some need to be with people,for whatever the reason,some like myself dont need anyone around , and like it like that.

I get bored easily, so when I go to the range by myself I need to shoot at something interactive. Shooting paper to me is boring as all hell. So, I bought one of those dueling trees and sometimes I rig up swinging targets. Those get boring pretty quick as well though.

Getting involved in IDPA or USPSA is a LOT more fun though. Definitely check into those.

Big Red said:
"State of mind" you say? Perhaps that is why I feel like I am in a funk of sorts.

It could be my friend....I find alone time is precious. Perhaps it's because of the work I do and my home life. It just seems those days I have alone on the range are the best....

Where is this? This club sounds like heaven on a winter's day.

It's in Lee - way out here in the sticks. Last winter, I had to use my snowshoes to get to the 200-yard berm, set up targets and retreat into the 200-yard bench shed. There's sliding LexGuard windows at each bench, so I closed all but mine, which I left cracked. It was exactly 0-degrees outside, but toasty inside...Dead quiet and sunny - totally awesome...[wink]

I enjoy both also. Today I shot at Pioneer Valley in West Springfield by myself, it was nice because I was sighting in a scope on my .308 Remington 700 so I didn't have the hassle of asking others to go down range etc. When I do shoot with others it is skeet most of the time or letting people try some stuff they have never shot before I enjoy that.

When I go to the range during the week, I'm usually going by myself and most often it's tied in with some work in that area as the excuse to do some shooting before/after work.

When I go on weekends, I usually go with my Wife and both of us shoot.

As much as I like to talk, when I'm on the line shooting, I prefer to keep the chatter to the minimum. When I'm taking a break or working as an RO, I'll usually talk up a storm, but will usually step back from the line so as not to annoy others (especially after myself and another NES'r got chastised a few years ago by the club grouch [wink] ).

When I go to BR&P there are almost always people around. Most of the chit-chat is while in the club-room, not on the ranges. The advantage is that if you have a question or a problem, there is usually someone knowledgeable around to help you.

When I go to Mansfield F&G, there usually are anywhere from 0 to 2 other people shooting there. Usually chit-chat is at a minimum unless there is a break in shooting.

When I actually get a chance to get to the range I hope and pray I'm the only one there. Me, guns, paper target: that's it and I find it very thereputic. Wish I could get down there more often.

My favorite time is in the dead of winter. Our 200-yard range benches are fully enclosed and there's a wood stove inside. I get a raging fire going and head out to shoot 50 and 100-yards. I love it when I shoot the SOCOM-16/Troy MCS on a clam winter day - the blast from the 16" barrel knocks snow off the roof and the falling flakes sizzle on the hot barrel...[wink] When I get cold, I head in and shoot 200 for a while, then relax by the fire...

Sounds nice, I like this.

I used to only shoot if noone was around, cuz I was a noobie to handguns and didn't want anyone to see me be shitty.[smile]

Now I'm cool with sharing. I have met some nice people at the range. Taking family is definately fun.

ace57

Sounds like a few people have already mentioned it, but I agree...Find someone who doesn't shoot and bring them. Spend a little time with them about safety and then work them into shooting. I recently convinced my wife's best friend to come shooting...At first it was "Oh, shoot a gun...Really?" By the time we left the range, it was "When can we come again?!" I think I pulled the trigger twice the whole time, but it was super fun and made me feel good that I may have created a new shooter out of her [smile]

If anyone would like to go to Cape Ann feel free to pm me as I'm a member there.My work schedule is weird for the summer but I can accomadate if I know in advance.Have to admit I've not as enthusiastic about solo trips to the range myself of late. Called a friend yesterday and asked if he would like to help me "break in" a new AR I built,surprisingly he said "yes",asked if his son could come
as his father told him that I have a Sharps buffalo rifle. and he wanted to try shooting it,and yes his shoulder is still intact.
Got there about 3 pm stayed till 7 and came home good time was had by all.

I find it fun, but I also find it expansive to blow $40 dollars of lead down range...but just to keep fine tuned I go blow off a few rounds then I leave.

Sounds like a few people have already mentioned it, but I agree...Find someone who doesn't shoot and bring them.

I totally agree with this, about a year or so ago I took a guy from work to the range. He wasn't an anti but wasn't a gun owner/active shooter either. He now owns 5 guns, has a growing list of "needs", and has joined a range and taken a couple of other guys from work.

Back
Top Bottom