• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FFL Difficulties

I think I remember that.
I think NES was about ready to send some folks out to do a wellness check on you.....
Wait three years for your M-16, join five ranges for them to tell you that’s not allowed.

Within 24 hours a member right here let me go shoot at his place

Nothing to really add other then you have to have thick skin to survive on NES. Take everything said with a grain of salt. Everyone was new at some point and got roasted at least once. There are a couple of good suggestions here so take those and run. Stick around as well. You'll learn a lot.
There are a lot of “boys down at the stable” here.

Just ignore em.

OK. So your "experiment" failed.

What you can try next is to find a dealer on the Cape (presumably you are on the Cape, based on your user name) who understands the law and isn't afraid to make the transfer.

It actually took me less than five seconds to find one.

Product Search Results | Cape Gun Works

Maybe call Cape Gun Works, tell them where you are at with Hardware store guy, and see if they will do the transfer FIRST (repeat: FIRST), then see if your Hardware Store guy will ship them to Cape Gun Works.

If you're actually in the metro-west area the world is your oyster.

Call any reporter at The Boston Globe and they'll tell you where to buy a stripped lower.

Last edited:
"A price that can't be beat locally"

.......pretty sure there were $29 lowers in the classifieds last week. If you are squabbling over lowers that cheap, well you get what you deserve.
There was a sale recently that was selling Anderson lowers for $30. I’ve seen Anderson stuff go through Ayoob and Farnam classes, and not misfire once.

It would be interesting to know if CGW is willing to go against Maura the Muncher

He talks a good game when he is on WRKO for his once a week segment, but I get the impression he is not the guy who is going to throw himself on the grenade to save us

OP asked FFL to play middleman instead of doing the courtesy call knowing it likely wouldn't work.

Normal people would call the FFL and ask "Hey can you get this part? If not do you mind if I order from this company and have it shipped to you?"

My first poverty pony went uncleaned for 2k rounds, and then went through a Runenation 8hr class. Didn't skip a beat.
Milspec is milspec.

I've had PSA uppers on Anderson Lowers run flawlessly. I've had PSA uppers on 07FFL friends Colt lowers run flat out FA multiple mags no hiccups. It is what it is.

So did OP just pick a FFL from a drop down list when placing the order and then contact the FFL afterwards thinking there’s some other information they’re supposed to send?

I actually don’t think we should give this guy business names. Best case scenario you just introduced the shop to a PITA customer; worst case you introduced them to a statehouse worker or “journalist.”
One Hundred Sgn GIF by SomeGoodNews

Hello All
I am new to the hobby and first time needing an FFL. I recently placed an order for 2 stripped AR lowers with a company. They ship to MA as long as they go to an FFL. On their site, they have a list of FFL. I found one very close to my home that I thought I would try. I know who the owner of the hardware(!) store. Ex military, not a friendly person, I just ignore him and his business. No bad blood. just is what it is. This was a low dollar experiment since I half expected him to do this. I go in person to try and talk to him, he wasn't available. I email him letting him know said company needs his info to ship. Next thing I know I get a "shipped" email! Than 2 days later a response from him saying he won't do it due to having too many questions. No idea what that means. I reply saying happy to answer anything and even come in to discuss. Yesterday I get a message saying item delivered, than a response from him saying the lowers aren't MA compliant. I have lot's more to say on this, but, without opening a sh*% can of arguments here, does he have an obligation being a license holder to do the transfer? Should I contact the state? My last email response was, "My understanding of the law is that until they are built, they are perfectly compliant and not a firearm." I have no problem registering everything with the State once completed, per the law. I also just asked him to ship them back to the company who I have notified and they said they would re ship once returned to another, more amenable FFL. Thoughts??
Ask yourself this ...

If the FFL says "The AG says stripped lowers are similar guns and banned. I know that is not the law but, there is exposure. Will you sign a contract agreeing to pay my legal fees if the AG comes after me on this sale as a condition of the transfer", will you do so?. If the answer is no, you are asking the FFL to take that risk for the cost of a transfer fee.

Last edited:
So did OP just pick a FFL from a drop down list when placing the order and then contact the FFL afterwards thinking there’s some other information they’re supposed to send?
That is what it sounds like. So seller must have the FFL info already, only other thing is OP said that seller stated they would not send until FFL confirms. Sounds like that part either did not happen, or the FFL had a change of mind after confirming. Can't figure out which with the info provided.

On the one hand--all the cool dudes say it isn't illegal to own an AR15. But when a new gun owner actually tries to get himself an AR he gets accused of being a pain-in-the-ass customer or a gun-control Apparatchik.

Do all you cool guys (who I've noticed won't actually actually TEACH a new gun owner anything, or help them get started--I guess unless maybe they happen to be queer) understand how difficult it is to actually find the lay of the land in Massachusetts? That most people have NO f*cking idea how to do a transfer--or the etiquette involved?

Maybe use THAT as a starting point when responding to a thread.

So all that being said, OP--here is a link to the NES Classifieds. There are dealers there who will sell you an AR lower, as long as you hold the appropriate license.

Dealer Classifieds

KAG Arms and Ma**h*** Firearms are all stand-up dudes with excellent reputations.

Or you could browse all the local shops within a comforable driving distance and see if they have any AR lowers for sale in their cases. They'd probably be happy to do your transfer for a $50 fee. You could ask.

Good luck--and if you want actual information, you should be warned (and would probably have already noticed) that this is the wrong 2A circle-jerk.

On the one hand--all the cool dudes say it isn't illegal to own an AR15. But when a new gun owner actually tries to get himself an AR he gets accused of being a pain-in-the-ass customer or a gun-control Apparatchik.

Do all you cool guys (who I've noticed won't actually actually TEACH a new gun owner anything, or help them get started--I guess unless maybe they happen to be queer) understand how difficult it is to actually find the lay of the land in Massachusetts? That most people have NO f*cking idea how to do a transfer--or the etiquette involved?

So all that being said, OP--here is a link to the NES Classifieds. There are dealers there who will sell you an AR lower, as long as you hold the appropriate license.

Dealer Classifieds

KAG Arms and Ma**h*** Firearms are all stand-up dudes with excellent reputations.

Or you could browse all the local shops within a comforable driving distance and see if they have any AR lowers for sale in their cases. They'd probably be happy to do your transfer for a $50 fee. You could ask.

Good luck--and if you want actual information, you should be warned (and would probably have already noticed) that this is the wrong 2A circle-jerk.
Lol. My guy, if you threaten to contact the State because an FFL that you have no relationship with won’t do a $25 transfer for you, AND, as you are implying above, you’re too f***in dumb to find the Classifieds here - then yeah, you’re a potential pain in the ass customer.

Ask yourself this ...

If the FFL says "The AG says stripped lowers are similar guns and banned. I know that is not the law but, there is exposure. If you sign a contract agreeing to pay my legal fees if the AG comes after me on this sale as a condition of the transfer", will you do so?. If the answer is no, you are asking the FFL to take that risk for the cost of a transfer fee.
MFS makes you sign a form that you’ll only build a 22lr off of it

Dealer Classifieds

No... if we taught every person who asked then how would we flex on the newbs?

I just sent a bunch of fire wood and mulch to your house. I'll be by to pick it up in a couple days is that ok? The mulch and loam place said to order it and then check with you if you would mind.
I guess if you advertised that your house was a legal drop off point for firewood and mulch it should be OK.....otherwise is an illegal trespass.

Back
Top Bottom