Fighting the Urge to Buy Today

Dirtypacman

NES Door Greeter
So of course what would put a smile back on my face today would be a new gun purchase. I am fighting that urge as my budget is already into my new NES AR that I will be picking up completed this weekend. But then I keep thinking what the hell my credit card can handle it. Am I setting myself up to fail... am I trying to fool myself into thinking this will actually change my attitude instantly.

I am stuck at work so it is not as easy as just packing up and heading to range to get some stress relief.

How many others are fighting that urge or said screw it and have already planned their purchase today/tomorow/this week?

I'm going to wait until the crowds die down and see what's left. I'll probably buy ammo today though.

I was just thinking the same thing, I am very against credit cards now a days but the urge to go pick something up is almost overwhelming. But the bright side is we still have a little time even though the prices will and probably already are going up.

I pretty much set with what I have but there are few things I could use.

I need to get ammo this weekend...

If there is something on my "MUST HAVE" list and is not insanely priced... I will likely pick it up.

I figure I have a good 6 months before I really need to worry, but if the right gun pops up and is in my price range.... ill grab it.

that is only guns that I think would be on an AWB list.

those bolt actions and revolvers will have to wait a while longer I guess...

I'm not buying yet. I'll certainly consider splurging in the weeks leading up to AWB II.

Anyone here going to do participate in the mass ammo buy in November?

Putting yourself deeper into debt based on kneejerk emotional spending sounds eerily like the government y'all are so scared of. It doesn't work at home either.

Invest in yourself. Get better with what you have.

I did an almost $2k dropping yesterday... I have a few more things I want. The rest hopefully won't see major price increases until after the house/senate pass new laws.

So of course what would put a smile back on my face today would be a new gun purchase. I am fighting that urge as my budget is already into my new NES AR that I will be picking up completed this weekend. But then I keep thinking what the hell my credit card can handle it. Am I setting myself up to fail... am I trying to fool myself into thinking this will actually change my attitude instantly.

I am stuck at work so it is not as easy as just packing up and heading to range to get some stress relief.

How many others are fighting that urge or said screw it and have already planned their purchase today/tomorow/this week?

Don't waste your money. If you have a wish list (mine is still rather long...[smile]) and you get some cash, fine spend it, but don't go out of your way to go into debt over it. Save some cash for when it really will be needed.

I'm sorta regretting my purchase to get all new ski equipment this year. I dropped a little under $1k on Skis, Boots, Bindings and poles getting ready for the new season. I should of spent that money on couple of new "assault" type rifles and ammo. Oh well, live and learn.

I think we'll have some time before anything really starts to happen. I'm fairly worried about this 500% tax hike on ammo BO was talking about.

I've been bargain shopping for Ruger 10/22s, as I plan to give each of my three kids (17, 14 and 11) a rifle for Christmas this year. Picked one up last night and another this morning, but spent less than $200 total.

Don't fight the urge. Run with it.

You likely won't get another chance to feel that adrenaline rush as you are driving home with your new gun, eager to take it apart and clean it even though it's clean. Then, the orgasmic pleasure as you fire it for the first time. Be happy while you still can.

I've been bargain shopping for Ruger 10/22s, as I plan to give each of my three kids (17, 14 and 11) a rifle for Christmas this year. Picked one up last night and another this morning, but spent less than $200 total.

Damn! Where do you get those deals. They are great.

I am not buying anything yet.
When a more anti-2A threat is more imminent I may consider it but right now it's still all speculative. Legislation takes quite a while to be put into effect. I'm sure we will know about it and have ample time to freak out and buy everything in sight.

Side note: This kind of thinking is why Americans are in the problem that they are (excuses to justify purchases or debt). You can't always blame govt. Sometimes you gotta blame yourselves for being in the debt that you are. Given hard times coming (as shown by the number of people even on this forum who have been laid off recently), going out and buying more guns is probably not the responsible thing to do.

But hell, if you are financially secure and prepared for a loss of a job/income yet still have surplus cash laying around, why not go out and buy some more toys?

I was able to pickup a couple hi-cap mags. I will buy some more ammo. Right now everyone is predicting the worst and panicking. I expect prices to rise in the next few weeks or month, but I expect them to drop a little bit.

My friend had a line on a WASR for $350, I might grab that if it is still around. Right now I can't justify buying an new AR for $800-$1000, seeing how its already a post ban. Pre-bans are $1200+ from what i have seen if you look around. I don't think I can justify that kind of spending yet.

I was thinking of buying another S&W stainless hi-cap 9mm though, like a 6906 or 5906. You can still get them for short money.

Well I am going to take the advice and sit tight for a bit- Since I am going to pick up my completed AR this weekend I do have something to look forward too. I will admit though I still have not shaken the urge but have to think with my wallet and know I may be setting myself up for more aggrivation that pleasure in the long run.

It will be a long time before we're not allowed to buy certain items. I do believe we'll see another AWB and ban on many things eventually, but not for a while.
The one thing I would advise is buy before people start jacking up prices.

I picked up another AR today. The craziness is already starting. ON my way home I stopped at 4 Seasons. One of the guys told me they have already sold over 20 ARs in the last Day.

Don't fight the urge. Run with it.

You likely won't get another chance to feel that adrenaline rush as you are driving home with your new gun, eager to take it apart and clean it even though it's clean. Then, the orgasmic pleasure as you fire it for the first time. Be happy while you still can.

I picked up another AR today. The craziness is already starting. ON my way home I stopped at 4 Seasons. One of the guys told me they have already sold over 20 ARs in the last Day.

I called Four Seasons this morning and asked Carl to hold 2 cases of Federal 5.56mm ammo (on sale BTW $8.95 /box $8.50 /box if you buy a case), a DPMS lower (out of stock, more on the way - I bought his last one last week [smile] ).

Last edited:
I'm in a similar boat, but haven't considered going into debt for it. I have money in my accounts, but I have already promised myself that I'm done making purchases until at least next summer. Now I'm starting to I need a few more guns. I'm afraid that when I try and buy them now they'll be out of stock, the market at least temporarily has shifted gears rather quickly. I have until Friday before I can even get time to make a purchase so I guess I'll have to watch and see. Hopefully I will have a better idea of the real situation then.

Ordered a couple of tins of 7.62x54 and some .30-06 in the last week. Plan on doing that every couple of weeks. Also need to do one more big powder order. Other than that it will probably just be the occasional 550 rd box of .22 at Walmart. No guns although I would like another Mosin. I have decided to hold off selling a bunch of hi-cap mags and an FAL I have. I figure the price will jump dramatically in a year.

Got all the parts for my AR; it's getting built this weekend. More Mags and ammo are on order and I'm just waiting for them. Planning on getting another case of Greek 30-06 from CMP and am debating another M1 Carbine... Have the money for it, just not sure it's the best usage for it.

Whatever you do, don't overextend yourself financially- that's an easy way
for your rifle to cost 2-3 times more than it actually should.

This "speculative ban" is nothing more than a twinkle in someones eye right
now. I realize this guy is a serious threat, but he hasn't even been sworn in yet!

-Mike

So But then I keep thinking what the hell my credit card can handle it. Am I setting myself up to fail... am I trying to fool myself into thinking this will actually change my attitude instantly.

screw it just max em all out with obama in charge now hell be glad to wipe out your debt and pass it on to everyone else its a win win new toys and no debt [rofl] and yes im fighting the urge to blow iall my money !

Back
Top Bottom