• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fightlite Build.

I ended up with some bad luck with Bear Creek arsenal side charging uppers. The bolt charging handle would bend, I don't trust the steel they were using on that.
The handle (knob?) used to cycle the action on mine is some sort of plastic. The only problem I had was because it is plastic the screw holding it to the bolt kept coming loose. A drop of blue loctite and all is well.

Found these on Optic Planit. I don't understand some of the barrel info. Like what DRP is compared to the Government. Is there anything I should stay away from here? Or something I should look at? They had a stag but left hand only. I don't believe any come with BCG or a charging handle.
No clue what is DRP. Maybe check the maker's website. I think one of the Radical uppers has a BCG.

FYI Optics Planet service blows and their shipping is slow with only the most rudimentary tracking. They will often charge your card and not notify you that your item is on backorder.

No clue what is DRP. Maybe check the maker's website. I think one of the Radical uppers has a BCG.

FYI Optics Planet service blows and their shipping is slow with only the most rudimentary tracking. They will often charge your card and not notify you that your item
Thanks for the tip. If I order one it will probably be from a company's main site. I did look into CMMGs Resolute a bit more and it doesn't seem too bad. Just have to add a bolt and a charging handle.

Hope I'm not being a pane but I have a couple of questions. I'm probably going to order my upper this week. I'm just trying to get as close to what I want as possible. I've been looking at uppers, and muzzle devices, till my head explodes. I'm planning on 300 blackouts. I know it runs better through a 10.5" barrel is better but I was going to do a 16". However, I think I have decided to go SBR. I tried to read the law on SBR as it pertains to CT but really didn't understand most of it and what I did understand pertained to the Federal part of it. So questions, Can I still build an SBR in CT, and if so would I have to weld my muzzle devices to my barrel? I know if it's not an SBR and under 16" you would have to weld something on to make up the difference.

Last edited:
Hope I'm not being a pane but I have a couple of questions. I'm probably going to order my upper this week. I'm just trying to get as close to what I want as possible. I've been looking at uppers, and muzzle devices, till my head explodes. I'm planning on 300 blackouts. I know it runs better through a 10.5" barrel is better but I was going to do a 16". However, I think I have decided to go SBR. I tried to read the law on SBR as it pertains to CT but really didn't understand most of it and what I did understand pertained to the Federal part of it. So questions, Can I still build an SBR in CT, and if so would I have to weld my muzzle devices to my barrel? I know if it's not an SBR and under 16" you would have to weld something on to make up the difference.
There's a sub-forum regarding CT law that you need to read.

300 BLK does not run better through a 10.5" barrel- it simply performs better than other calibers when shooting subsonic rounds through a short barrel. IDK if you can have a suppressor in CT, but unless you do have one there is no reason to run subsonic rounds. 125 grain 300 BLK loaded to normal (supersonic) specs is a nice short range defensive round.

Unless you have a dog you really don't like and you think you look fabulous in an orange jumpsuit, you need to stop with the SBR activity until you have an approved Form 1 for a SBR. No clue how that works with CT law, thus the recommendation to read that sub-forum and ask CT legal questions there- after you read up.

I strongly suggest you just get a barrel that is either 16" already or a ~14" barrel that can reach 16" with a pinned and welded muzzle device (assuming that's what you need in CT). Assuming you can get a SBR in CT, you'll have to go through the hassle of getting fingerprints, filing and submitting the form, shelling out $200, spending ~$60+ for engraving, plus waiting for approval. Given your budget build oriented questions, doesn't sound like spending the money to file for SBR is a wise decision. Make something that is 16" when finished and spend that $200 on ammo.

A lot of people do it so you are not alone, but burying yourself in over-complication is only getting in the way of you having fun at the range. You should already be shooting something.

There's a sub-forum regarding CT law that you need to read.

300 BLK does not run better through a 10.5" barrel- it simply performs better than other calibers when shooting subsonic rounds through a short barrel. IDK if you can have a suppressor in CT, but unless you do have one there is no reason to run subsonic rounds. 125 grain 300 BLK loaded to normal (supersonic) specs is a nice short range defensive round.

Unless you have a dog you really don't like and you think you look fabulous in an orange jumpsuit, you need to stop with the SBR activity until you have an approved Form 1 for a SBR. No clue how that works with CT law, thus the recommendation to read that sub-forum and ask CT legal questions there- after you read up.

I strongly suggest you just get a barrel that is either 16" already or a ~14" barrel that can reach 16" with a pinned and welded muzzle device (assuming that's what you need in CT). Assuming you can get a SBR in CT, you'll have to go through the hassle of getting fingerprints, filing and submitting the form, shelling out $200, spending ~$60+ for engraving, plus waiting for approval. Given your budget build oriented questions, doesn't sound like spending the money to file for SBR is a wise decision. Make something that is 16" when finished and spend that $200 on ammo.

A lot of people do it so you are not alone, but burying yourself in over-complication is only getting in the way of you having fun at the range. You should already be shooting something.
thanks for the info. For some reason, I got it into my head that it actually preferred a shorter barrel. We can have suppressors in CT. As long as the barrel is 16"+ brakes and suppressors do not have to be pinned and welded. I'm a little ADD so sometimes I need a little nudge to get back on track. I get a bit of tunnel vision when trying to educate myself on subjects Im interested in.

Last edited:
I read the title as "Fleshlight build", so here I am.

Why are you building a lever action AR?
Well I wish that were a thing. I would still build an Anderson fleshlight and try to convince everyone my poverty p**sy was just as good.
Throw some geiselle lips on the bitch and call it my Gussi

Last edited:
Well I wish that were a thing. I would still build an Anderson fleshlight and try to convince everyone my poverty p**sy was just as good
Part of me hears exactly where you're coming from. I don't want a piece of shit but I don't want to spend more money just because of a name either. I was looking at CMMG. For their mind tear upper you're in the $900 zone. Where I can go to PSA are BCA and get a 300 BLK and a 5.56 upper. Or I could do one or the other and get some ammo and a good brake. This is part of my problem. Do I go cheap and get a hand full of stuff? Or spend more money on the upper and piece the other stuff together over time.

Last edited:
Well I wish that were a thing. I would still build an Anderson fleshlight and try to convince everyone my poverty p**sy was just as good.
Throw some geiselle lips on the bitch and call it my Gussi

Are you saying that as a "two bagger" nobody would know the difference between Anderson and Noveske? [laugh]

In reality as long as the lower is forged and within specs it makes zero difference what the label says.

Are you saying that as a "two bagger" nobody would know the difference between Anderson and Noveske? [laugh]

In reality as long as the lower is forged and within specs it makes zero difference what the label says.
Are you saying you would go the PSA route if you were in my shoes?

Hang in there. Although an AR can be built in about 15 minutes, it took Rome a little longer.

Don’t worry, you’ll soon end up with more rifles than blades of grass just like the rest of us!!!!
I already have a list of guns I'm interested in my head.

For a lower?
PSA is high end from my point of view... I'd have to spend a lot more money to even reach the NES skinflint level of cheap.
I'm talking $32 80% in the raw, $39 lower kit and I can't even remember how cheap the buffer and stock were but I bought them so it was bad.
The lowers I myself from cheap parts run fine. No, the triggers were gritty as hell but they function perfectly fine. And half an hour with stones and polish took away the majority of the grit.
Other than 50lbs of ugly, they run just as well as my name brand AR.

I have a thread here somewhere on a 20" 223 AR build on the cheap - it's not a $2500 rifle but it definitely shoots better than one would expect for such a cheap build.

Nothing wrong with PSA lowers or any other components for that matter. Many of us in Mass are butthurt that PSA won't ship here. [laugh] That said, my preference is Aero who won't ship here either, though many of their distributors will.

I no longer own any AR's that I didn't slap together myself. My match rifles all shoot between .5 to .7 MOA. Murphy's law dictates that match rifles only malfunction during competition, not during practice. Have yet to have a failure. AR's really don't shoot any better than that (at least with me on the trigger) so I'm not missing out on anything at all in terms of accuracy and reliability. Someday I'll get a LMT or KAC to see what all the fuss is about.

Nothing wrong with PSA lowers or any other components for that matter. Many of us in Mass are butthurt that PSA won't ship here. [laugh] That said, my preference is Aero who won't ship here either, though many of their distributors will.

I no longer own any AR's that I didn't slap together myself. My match rifles all shoot between .5 to .7 MOA. Murphy's law dictates that match rifles only malfunction during competition, not during practice. Have yet to have a failure. AR's really don't shoot any better than that (at least with me on the trigger) so I'm not missing out on anything at all in terms of accuracy and reliability. Someday I'll get a LMT or KAC to see what all the fuss is about.
In America, PSAs are just fine! I like to go classy on barrel, BCG, and optic, but otherwise, any run of the mill halfway decent place will exceed most peoples quality needs. The rest is just creature comforts.

I have a wall of unbuilt PSA lowers with funny sayings on them. Sometimes I just pick o e up and build it…..my favorite being the ‘Angry Joe 14!’

Edit: Oh yeah, trigger too. La rue.

Last edited:
In America, PSAs are just fine! I like to go classy on barrel, BCG, and optic, but otherwise, any run of the mill halfway decent place will exceed most peoples quality needs. The rest is just creature comforts.

I have a wall of unbuilt PSA lowers with funny sayings on them. Sometimes I just pick o e up and build it…..my favorite being the ‘Angry Joe 14!’
LOL love the concept of a funny lower collection.

I would add trigger to the list of stuff to go high end. Barrel for sure is key. IMHO you can actually go for a mid level bolt carrier as long as you are using a top shelf bolt in it.

Okay PSA Upper it is. Could give a damn about whose name is on it as long as it is reliable and as accurate as I am. I am far from a brand-name whore. For the price of the upper I was looking at, I can get a decent bolt and a brake with a PSA or Radical firearms upper. I just learned yesterday I could go with a standard AR lower but then I would have to go with a fixed mag and I'm not sure I want to deal with breaking it down just to reload the mag. Have any of you tried any of those speed loaders that reminded me of a striper clip in a way?

LOL love the concept of a funny lower collection.

I would add trigger to the list of stuff to go high end. Barrel for sure is key. IMHO you can actually go for a mid level bolt carrier as long as you are using a top shelf bolt in it.
Yes, I forgot that…added. Don’t need fancy fancy, just better than run of the mill. I have many MBTs, they’re better than more pricey triggers…..basic works. It’s a rabbit hole!!

Just start with one.

Okay PSA Upper it is. Could give a damn about whose name is on it as long as it is reliable and as accurate as I am. I am far from a brand-name whore. For the price of the upper I was looking at, I can get a decent bolt and a brake with a PSA or Radical firearms upper. I just learned yesterday I could go with a standard AR lower but then I would have to go with a fixed mag and I'm not sure I want to deal with breaking it down just to reload the mag. Have any of you tried any of those speed loaders that reminded me of a striper clip in a way?
We need some CT specific guidance on this…..

So would you go with a fixed mag over the Flightligt. Getting the Fightlite I lose the pistol grip but I get a removable mag and still get everything else the lower is more expensive. With the pistol grip, I get a fixed mag but get to do aftermarket triggers and the lowers are cheaper

I've had great results with the PSA chf barrels. If you keep your eyes open you can get an upper for $400 and some ppl spend more than that just for a chf barrel. Is it as accurate as my DDM4? Probably not. But is the DD at double the cost twice as betterer? Probably not.

Buy all the guns. That's the only winning play.

So would you go with a fixed mag over the Flightligt. Getting the Fightlite I lose the pistol grip but I get a removable mag and still get everything else the lower is more expensive. With the pistol grip, I get a fixed mag but get to do aftermarket triggers and the lowers are cheaper
I've done fixed mag which was fun for a while in order to have a MA compliant pistol but they are a PITA. I strongly recommend against it.

I've done fixed mag which was fun for a while in order to have a MA compliant pistol but they are a PITA. I strongly recommend against it.
Ok, I wasn't very fond of the thought of it in the first place. It's just an option I found out that is open to me. There is also the maglock. It locks the mag in until you break the action. Then it allows the mag to be released for reloading. The caviot there is it only allows the action to open just a few centimeters to allow the mag to be released. Sounds like a can of worms ready to be opened to me.

Back
Top Bottom