figured i'd share

dick's had an ammo sale this week so i went down there yesterday to pick up some 9mm and .45 acp

after waitin around for a good 20 minutes because the customer service there is just a shadow of what it used to be when it was galyan's (i know because i worked there when it was galyan's) i finally got some one to help me

the gentleman asked what i needed and i told him 9mm and .45...his reply was "can i take a look at your fid card please?"

knowing full well that you're not supposed to purchase handgun ammo on an fid card i just sighed and gave him my ltc

he wandered over behind the counter in front of the stacks of 9mm...now i dont exaggerate when i say stacks of 9mm...gree and white remington umc boxes piled high that i can see from across the floor

he looks like and looks low...loking pretty confused and turns to me..."what did you want again?" i reply "a case of 9mm and a case of .45"

again he begins perusing the boxes and i was thinking to myself this guy must need a stronger prescription for his glasses when finally he turns to me and says..."sorry sir we dont have any 9mm..."

my jaw almost hit the floor because if it wasnt illegal for me to reach over the counter i could grab box after box of it...i say to him..."those green boxes in front of you...thats all 9mm"...he turns back...looks again...then turns again to me and says "no...thats 9 M - M Luger (pronouncing the mm as actual m's not millimeter)"

so i shake my head in disgust...take 10 boxes of the 9 m - m luger and leave

so that was my rant about how pathetic people are

have a good weekend! [wave]

Dick's is coming to Saugus

this one wont be selling guns or ammo though...the store was supposed to have been opened a year and a half ago and i was gonna transfer there until i found out they wouldnt be selling guns

you a saugus guy too?

think thats bad, i was there a couple weeks ago and the guy behind the counter was talking to a customer on the phone about a shotgun.
the clerk grabbed it from the rack to find something out that the customer has asked and swept my head and torso with the friggin thing several times in the process..
:O

well when dick's was galyan's we had to prove our knowledge of the department we'd be working in by taking extensive online tests...apparently dick's did away with that program

just my two cents... The Dick's sporting in North Attleborough carries guns and ammo, and last time I was in Walmart the sporting goods clerk would not sell me ammo because I had a class A ltc and not an FID card. I asked her to get a manager to clear up the fact that my license was better then an FID and I felt a little better when the manager be-littled the moronic clerk and sold me the ammo with his apology's.

Been buying ammo at the Dick's in Natick. Poor kid that sold me my last case of 9mm was from Arkansas and was bewildered at the laws regarding guns here in MA. Next time I'm back there, I need to hook him up with GOAL and help him get licensed. Shoulda done that when I was there, but I didn't think of it.

Not to climb up on a soap box or imply that I'm better than anyone else but things like this are exactly why I avoid buying guns/ammo at places like Wally world and Dick's. Support your local FFL he has a larger inventory and variety, if he doesn't have what you need ask and he most likely will order it just for you. His Knowledge and experience should and probably do exceed that of your average clerk at Dick's/W-mart and more often than not he will be thrilled to share that info with you (Guns are normally a passion not merely an occupation for most small FFLs). Support this resource or soon it will disappear and we will be left with only the few guns that large chain retailers are willing to carry.

I was in a K mart years ago and needed 9mm ammo first asked for 9 mm Parabellum kid looked 'sorry all out" then I asked for 9x19 same answer then I asked for 9 mm Luger "jackpot we got loads of it" them I politely told said sales clerk that they are all the same round. Ain't I a stinker??????

" the gentleman asked what i needed and i told him 9mm and .45...his reply was "can i take a look at your fid card please?"

knowing full well that you're not supposed to purchase handgun ammo on an fid card i just sighed and gave him my ltc"

Do you think that there are that many pistol calibers out there that are not also rifle caliber? Do you feel that I need to bring my Marlin 1894 with me to purchase .44 magnums if I only had an FID? The obligation he has is probably that you need at a minimum an FID to purchase any ammo. Also, not tring to bust chops but, you are not to specific with which 9mm and 45 you asked for. Next time try 9mm parabellum or Luger and 45acp (I'm assuming that's what you meant). Be kinda funny if you ended up with a case of 9mm Kurtz and 45 colts. Don't cha think?

Last edited:
Not to climb up on a soap box or imply that I'm better than anyone else but things like this are exactly why I avoid buying guns/ammo at places like Wally world and Dick's. Support your local FFL he has a larger inventory and variety, if he doesn't have what you need ask and he most likely will order it just for you. His Knowledge and experience should and probably do exceed that of your average clerk at Dick's/W-mart and more often than not he will be thrilled to share that info with you (Guns are normally a passion not merely an occupation for most small FFLs). Support this resource or soon it will disappear and we will be left with only the few guns that large chain retailers are willing to carry.

It takes little "knowledge and experience" to get me the ammo I want off the shelf, and I'm not willing to pay twice the price of ammo to get it. I've almost always had great service behind the Sporting Goods counter at our local Wally-World, and on those few occasions I haven't, or the times I bought at other, less helpful chain stores, I've found this works great, and adds nothing to the cost of the ammo:

"No...up two shelves...now right...more...one more. That one. I'd like 10 boxes, please."

IMO, some FFL's are their own worst enemy when it comes to pricing.

The problem with the chain stores for me is availability. While dicks seems
to have a lot more inventory than walmart, I've crossed walmart permanetly
off the list because its so much of a pain in the ass to buy ammo there. Also,
have fun trying to find more than one brand. Dicks has what... UMC.. which is
okay, and then ultramax, which is generally trash.

I agree that FFL pricing is often rough, but this is where bargaining comes
in... many will sharpen the pencil if you buy a ton of whatever it is you want
at once.

-Mike

I had a great experiance at Dick's in Natick/Framingham, the guy at the counter was very helpful. He said if they have cases in stock the cost per box of a full case is about $.50 off. I beleive .40 50 rounds was around $7.99/box so at the case price it is reasonable for some basic target ammo.

Wal-Mart pays their help poorly so much of their help are inexperienced people who don't know their products. If a store pays well and hires people who know the product, you get better service.

We've even seen that in gun shops . . . clerks who talk but don't know what they are talking about.

It's good business practice to hire experienced people, but at minimum wage they aren't likely to stay too long.

Personal issues:

- I do not like .40 180gr and much prefer 165gr loads. Dick's doesn't carry anything buy 180gr! Wal-Mart carries only 165gr.

- I think it's the same issue with 9mm, but I'm too lazy to go and look right now.

My preference (if the premium isn't too great) is to give the local (or not so local) FFL Dealer my ammo business and I like buying in nice round quantities . . . 1K at a time, if the checkbook, matches my desires.

Also worth noting:

- When there is a price increase (frequently these days <sigh>), the major stores get an order to reprice EVERYTHING on their shelves!

- Many of the small FFLs do NOT do this with existing stock. Four Seasons in fact oftentimes warns us in Email (if you subscribe) and website that a price increase is imminent and thus you should consider buying it at TODAY's price before the increase. Some other shops do the same thing or just leave the original price labels on their products until they sell out.

Do you think that there are that many pistol calibers out there that are not also rifle caliber? Do you feel that I need to bring my Marlin 1894 with me to purchase .44 magnums if I only had an FID? The obligation he has is probably that you need at a minimum an FID to purchase any ammo. Also, not tring to bust chops but, you are not to specific with which 9mm and 45 you asked for. Next time try 9mm parabellum or Luger and 45acp (I'm assuming that's what you meant). Be kinda funny if you ended up with a case of 9mm Kurtz and 45 colts. Don't cha think?

while i was an employee at galyans then dicks we were not allowed to sell pistol ammunition to FID card holders unless the customer brought in documentation of the rifle they owend in pistol caliber...my manager who was very well versed in firearms said that it was going to be the norm for all ffls to not sell pistol ammo to those with an FID card

if the guy couldnt find regular 9mm im sure he doesnt know 9mm kurtz even exists...had that been what i wanted i would have said 9mm kurtz...instead i said 9mm...the standard round for most semi auto pistols these days

maybe next time ill go in and say can i have the nato 9x19 parabellum round and hell find it quicker eh?

Dicks has what... UMC.. which is
okay, and then ultramax, which is generally trash.

the problem is that stores like dick's have a licensing agreement with companies like remington

when it was galyans we had a contract with winchester

if the guy couldnt find regular 9mm im sure he doesnt know 9mm kurtz [sic] even exists...had that been what i wanted i would have said 9mm kurtz [sic]...

The word you're trying to use is "kurz;" not "kurtz." Kurz is German for "short."

If you really wanted that caliber, you'd ask the kid for .380 Auto. [rolleyes]

The $5-10 I save by buying 2-3 boxes of .45 or 9mm at Walmart is well worth the hassle to me. If I had more money, sure I'd buy ammo from FS more often, but I don't. Also, knowing the wholesale prices on ammo etc, it pains me when I have to get something from a gun store.

Well

dick's had an ammo sale this week so i went down there yesterday to pick up some 9mm and .45 acp

after waitin around for a good 20 minutes because the customer service there is just a shadow of what it used to be when it was galyan's (i know because i worked there when it was galyan's) i finally got some one to help me

the gentleman asked what i needed and i told him 9mm and .45...his reply was "can i take a look at your fid card please?"

knowing full well that you're not supposed to purchase handgun ammo on an fid card i just sighed and gave him my ltc

he wandered over behind the counter in front of the stacks of 9mm...now i dont exaggerate when i say stacks of 9mm...gree and white remington umc boxes piled high that i can see from across the floor

he looks like and looks low...loking pretty confused and turns to me..."what did you want again?" i reply "a case of 9mm and a case of .45"

again he begins perusing the boxes and i was thinking to myself this guy must need a stronger prescription for his glasses when finally he turns to me and says..."sorry sir we dont have any 9mm..."

my jaw almost hit the floor because if it wasnt illegal for me to reach over the counter i could grab box after box of it...i say to him..."those green boxes in front of you...thats all 9mm"...he turns back...looks again...then turns again to me and says "no...thats 9 M - M Luger (pronouncing the mm as actual m's not millimeter)"

so i shake my head in disgust...take 10 boxes of the 9 m - m luger and leave

so that was my rant about how pathetic people are

have a good weekend! [wave]

That clerk is in training for employment in the leftist mainstream media. He'll end up writying stories about bullets, clips, assault rifles, saturday night specials, etc.

That is a very good reason to not sound like these morons.

Cartridges, magazines, semiauto rifles, and personal protection revolvers are the real names.

Dicks , Plymouth, mAss sucks.

I waited 30 minutes at the counter and finally walked to find some help. The guy say's laughing there are only 3 guys on the payroll who can work the fire arms counter and he'll be right back.....

20 minutes I walk out the door. Can't take it any more.
What a joke that place is. F-them.

I'll go to M&M and pay the rate.

No, it's Kurtz and your right about its a 9mm short or the .380 Auto.

No; you're wrong. As you would have learned prior to making your post had you made even a minimal effort at research:

G36 · HK G36C (Commando/Compact), HK G36E, HK G36K (Kurz - short), HK G36KE (Kurz - short). [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom