figured i'd share

I've walked into Wal-Mart and told them that I needed 1000 rds of .45 for a pistol course . . . and then was asked for my FID! This has happened in more than one Wal-Mart. In one case, the clerk said "FID, LTC . . . it's all the same to me!" I've even tried to explain the difference and the law to a few clerks, but have given up.

He's just setting the store up for a "sting" and losing their license to sell ammo (like what happened in N. Attleboro . . . it took 3 years to get their license back).

A corporate Email to all MA stores is posted in some stores. It stupidly tells them to ask for an FID for ALL ammo purchases. Gives them no direction wrt a customer admitting that it is for a pistol.

"TSTL" comes to mind here!

That's why I just say, "Do you have your Permit on you?"

Then, I'll see what they have when they hand it to me.

Granted, I'm sure that I get the same thing when someone comes into the lodge and askes me for some fishing item. I pretty much tell them, "I'm the gun guy. I'll try to help you, but I don't know that much about Fishing." I can get by pretty well. But when you start asking me what lure or plastic bait is the best for the red belly small mouth large gilled striper is...I'm going to look at you like you have two heads... Then call over the guy that knows fishing.

No, it's Kurtz and your right about its a 9mm short or the .380 Auto.

IF you want to get really anal, these are the common synonyms for it:

* 9 x 17 mm
* 9 mm Kurz
* 9 mm Corto
* 9 mm Court
* 9 mm Short
* 9 mm Kratak
* 9 mm Browning Short
* 9 mm Scurt

I've also seen it referred to as "9mm Browning Court" I think S+B marks their
boxes that way.

I just call it .380 ACP . Works for me.

-Mike

I can't believe that you still have to prove the pistol ammo cabine rifle crap.

the fact that you can buy a rifle chambered for dang near anything, 9mm, 45, 44, 357.. ect... this law is really lame. (yes... looking for sesibility in MA, silly me)

the fact that you can buy a rifle chambered for dang near anything, 9mm, 45, 44, 357.. ect... this law is really lame. (yes... looking for sesibility in MA, silly me)

FWIW, that isn't a mass thing, it's federal law. IIRC, according to MA
law, posession of -any- ammunition should be legal with an FID
card, regardless of what kind of gun it goes in.

However, if the walmart salesdroid asks you that question, after
you've handed them an LTC then they're pretty damned dumb,
considering one has to be 21 to get an LTC in mass anyways.

-Mike

I buy all my ammunition from Dick's in Natick. I find them very knowledgeable and the price's cannot be beat. I stock up when they have a buy one, buy a second of the same for half price sale.

I'd buy off of the local guy if he stocked any inventory other then 7.62, .22, or .45 acp. Not having 3 or 3.5 inch mags in stock during duck, goose, and turkey season is nearly criminal.

Adam

- Many of the small FFLs do NOT do this with existing stock. Four Seasons in fact oftentimes warns us in Email (if you subscribe) and website that a price increase is imminent and thus you should consider buying it at TODAY's price before the increase. Some other shops do the same thing or just leave the original price labels on their products until they sell out.

I lucked out on this one day at Roaches in Cambridge. Asked for some .257 Roberts and they had about 5 boxes for about $9.50.

Him: "Wow, these must have been here for a while....how many you want."
Me: "All of them."

Worth every penny. Those brass have been refilled a few times already!

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Even better, I bought a jug of powder at four seasons this weekend. I had to show my permit. Then I drove up the street and put 15 gallons of 87 Octaine Gas in my truck...I swiped a credit card at the pump and didn't see a living soul the whole time.

Even better, you have to show your permit if you buy lead balls. They're just lumps of friggin METAL! Broken glass is more dangrous!
[rolleyes]

WOW! Did I get flamed by a few of you or what. [flame]

I guess I will just agree to disagree with most of you, but I still feel I'd rather give my cash to a local gun guy who enjoys and supports the same interests as me than to some faceless corporation. It is the same reason I buy my 2x4s at a local lumber yard instead of the home depot or lowes. Anyway to each his own, I figure it's less important where we get our ammo and more important that we are all still shooting and exercising our 2A right.

I guess I will just agree to disagree with most of you, but I still feel I'd rather give my cash to a local gun guy who enjoys and supports the same interests as me than to some faceless corporation.

Especially a corporation that hires illegals and locks them in at night so they can re-stock the shelves with ChiCom crap. Not to mention making its people work split shifts and short weeks so it doesn't have to pay benefits.

WallyWorld and Dicks don't carry any reloading supplies, not much ammo and even less accessories and supplies. Its staff are usually unqualified, when you finally get someone to actually wait on you.

Yeah, the sale prices on WWWB in the 1 type of each of the only 3 calibers they actually stock are nice, but I'd rather go to a real gun store. About the only products I get from WalMart are automotive; oil, filters and wiper blades. When I want a gun, I know better than to waste my time at a big box. I go to a real FFL, with a real selection and a staff that actually has some intelligence, some ambition and a clue.

Last edited:
ripach and scriv...i agree with both of you to a point...the only guns i ever bought at glayan's/dicks were the new ones that had come in that i had personally inspected frsh out of the box and i purchased them at ridiculously low prices

whenever i buy a gun its a local shop...not a big chain store...ask carl at 4seasons...i think he was able to move the shop to the larger location based upon my monthly transactions there alone

i only go to dicks when theres a sale on ammo...otherwise i dont wanna be in there with all the idiots they hired...plus there arent any ffls open on sundays when i usually go shootin and need the ammo

Especially a corporation that hires illegals and locks them in at night so they can re-stock the shelves with ChiCom crap. Not to mention making its people work split shifts and short weeks so it doesn't have to pay benefits.

WallyWorld and Dicks don't carry any reloading supplies, not much ammo and even less accessories and supplies. Its staff are usually unqualified, when you finally get someone to actually wait on you.

Yeah, the sale prices on "WWWB in the 1 type of each of the only 3 calibers they actually stock are nice, but I'd rather go to a real gun store. About the only products I get from WalMart are automotive; oil, filters and wiper blades. When I want a gun, I know better than to waste my time at a big box. I go to a real FFL, with a real selection and a staff that actually has some intelligence, some ambition and a clue.

A little hypocrisy here, no? Or, do the illegals that are "lock[ed] in at night so they can re-stock the shelves" not restock the automotive section? Or, perhaps their business practices offend you, but not so much that it outweighs the price or oil, filters, and wiper blades?

Somewhere, in some other forum, people are bitching because no one goes to their local auto-parts store anymore, where they support the automotive craze, but instead get their oil, filters, and wiper blades at Wal-mart.

I buy my ammo where it's cheapest, and Wal-mart has brand name ammo cheap. Not just "a little cheaper," but like 40% less than local gun store prices. And not just ""WWB in the 1 type of each of the only 3 calibers they actually stock," at least not the Wal-mart up here in the free world. The local one carries bulk UMC in a number of calibers (my favorite is the 250 round box of .45. It's just a lot of ammo in one box!) as well as CCI Blazer (brass and Al) at prices cheaper than WWB. If I'm looking for something "non-standard," then I just mail-order it from Natchez or someplace like that. Another side benefit of free America.

As far as "a staff that actually has some intelligence, some ambition and a clue," my experience with gun stores and Wal-mart is about a tie in that department.

While not denying the advantages of "free America," your experience is irrelevant here. I made one of my rare trips to WalMart yesterday to get its own synthetic oil and filters, which aren't available at Allied Auto or Auto Zone. Just for jollies, I checked out what passes for its ammo section.

Some WWWB in .40, but only 165 grain, some rifle ammo (looked like 7.62x39) and a small selection of slugs and shotshells. NO GUNS. Period.

Which makes your hymn to New Hampshire WalMarts a pointless comparison for those in Mass.

While not denying the advantages of "free America," your experience is irrelevant here. I made one of my rare trips to WalMart yesterday to get its own synthetic oil and filters, which aren't available at Allied Auto or Auto Zone. Just for jollies, I checked out what passes for its ammo section.

Some WWWB in .40, but only 165 grain, some rifle ammo (looked like 7.62x39) and a small selection of slugs and shotshells. NO GUNS. Period.

Which makes your hymn to New Hampshire WalMarts a pointless comparison for those in Mass.

My point was twofold:
1) the assertion was made: "[Insert large box store here] has no ammo selection and bad service. Why go to [large box store] instead of [insert gunstore here]?" Notice the implication was not "this question only applies to MA retail outlets." Reason offered for shopping there: Not every [large box store de jour being disparaged] has "no selection and bad service," especially on this side of the Iron Curtain. It's "New England's Premier Shooting Forum," not "Massachusetts' Premier Shooting Forum." There's A LOT of New England outside the Iron Curtain. The Wally-worlds I've shopped in ME and VT were well stocked, as well.

2) it seems hypocritical, or at least disingenuous, to bad-mouth Wallyworld's practices to the extent you did [hyperbole]"Especially a corporation that hires illegals and locks them in at night so they can re-stock the shelves with ChiCom crap. Not to mention making its people work split shifts and short weeks so it doesn't have to pay benefits."[/hyperbole] and then support those "practices" by purchasing auto parts there. Something just seems amiss there. Maybe it's just me.

Signing off from one of the many "non-MA parts of New England."

Last edited:
munch5rj.gif

It's a tough call - I hate Wal-Mart - always have, always will. However, I'm honest enough to call mayself a hypocrate when it comes to Wally-World, as I buy my bird seed and ammo there all the time. I love my local FFL's - some more than others. I also have but a finite amount of money and when I see near 50% mark-ups on ammunition, I smile, perhaps shake my head slightly and head to Wally World.

The two out here are a tale of two cities. Pittsfield is madness. Finding anyone at the SG counter is like winning the lottery and their selection is poo. The ammo is nearly invisible under the counter and you need binoculars to tell what they have while you wait for someone to arrive, (hopefully). North Adams is a bit different. The have a large standing case with ammo in plain view. Their selection is broad and I can usually find what I'm looking for, (which is mostly WWM 9mm), but I have been surprised at what the NA Wally World offers. I have been buying a box a week, (kind of like the Blue Diamond Almond commercial), as the 100-round boxes are still cheap enough and my Uzi eats them for breakfast. Rather than writing out a check for a case, (which would send my grocery bill into the Ramen Pride territory), I pick up a box here - two boxes there. I'm now hip deep in the stuff...I only wish they offered the .223 Shooters packs - neither has them and oh how I dream that Winchester would start making their infamous Shooters Packs in 7.62x51....I'd be in heaven.

No one was as excited as I that Dicks was opening in Pittsfield. No one is as disappointed as I that Dicks is so...welll...disappointing. Ammo selection is dismal. Accessories are shoddy. My wife bought me a set of electronic hearing protectors for Christmas - total, utter garbage. My daughter bought me a set of shooting glasses - so blurry they're beyond any practical use. Their firearms selection is so generic as to be a yawn festival. Seems like they display 10 examples of 10 different guns. The ones I've inspected seem to be special or second run. Remington 870 at my FFL? Nice, crisp clean. Remington 870 at Dicks looked slightly used. Their prices reflect classic shell game. Sell some cheap ammo, a few cheap guns, maybe some golf balls - toss in some shoddy but cool looking hearing protectors a few name brands too and then rape them on North Face cargo pants....Plus, they have an FFL and could sell a broader variety - including handguns, but nooooo....Don't want to appear too radical...I feel like I need a shower when I leave there. Sad really.

Then, I return to the safety and sanctity of my local dealers and find 50rd WWB at $14.99 and Mitchells Shooters Grade Yugo's at $349.99 - an M44 at $229.99 - let's not forget the Service Grade Yugo SKS for $300 - but hey, they're "nice guys".... Nowhere is safe ......

BTW, is it just me, or does anyone else find it strange that all rifle and pistol ammo is locked up behind the glass, but shotgun shells are in those big stacks at the ends of the aisle like paper towels and toilet paper?

Sorry for the thread creep.

My point was twofold:

And those points were not without merit.

However, the complaints about poor selection and uninformed help were about the Mass. big boxes from Mass. residents trying to cope with Mass. laws.

A fact your repeated references to "free America" made it obvious you acknowledged. [rolleyes]

I don't know. When I think of the Dicks Lodge, I don't really think shooting. I think of CRAPLOADS of fishing stuff with some guns in there as bonus. Maybe it's because I part time there... But for the most part, it's a fishing shop. Not a High end fishing shop mind you, but a fishing shop none the less.

Their pistol ammo is pretty limited to the main calibers. .22, .380, .38, .9mm, .40, and .45. The rifle calibers are more extensive. And if you're looking for a deal on shotgun shells, then this really is your place. Dick's has a better selection of shells than any of the shops around me. And for a hell of a better price.

I don't really shop at Wally World. Not for any reason other than I don't like it there. It's always VERY crowded, and the lines to check out take years. Even when just about every line is open.

And those points were not without merit.

However, the complaints about poor selection and uninformed help were about the Mass. big boxes from Mass. residents trying to cope with Mass. laws.

A fact your repeated references to "free America" made it obvious you acknowledged. [rolleyes]

I'm going to scour these posts (the one's I was responding to) for references to MA:
Not to climb up on a soap box or imply that I'm better than anyone else but things like this are exactly why I avoid buying guns/ammo at places like Wally world and Dick's. Support your local FFL he has a larger inventory and variety, if he doesn't have what you need ask and he most likely will order it just for you. His Knowledge and experience should and probably do exceed that of your average clerk at Dick's/W-mart and more often than not he will be thrilled to share that info with you (Guns are normally a passion not merely an occupation for most small FFLs). Support this resource or soon it will disappear and we will be left with only the few guns that large chain retailers are willing to carry.
Nope.
I guess I will just agree to disagree with most of you, but I still feel I'd rather give my cash to a local gun guy who enjoys and supports the same interests as me than to some faceless corporation. It is the same reason I buy my 2x4s at a local lumber yard instead of the home depot or lowes. Anyway to each his own, I figure it's less important where we get our ammo and more important that we are all still shooting and exercising our 2A right.
Nope.

I know I'm not very smart, but I'm not seeing any MA specific language there.

Not to climb up on a soap box or imply that I'm better than anyone else but things like this are exactly why I avoid buying guns/ammo at places like Wally world and Dick's. Support your local FFL he has a larger inventory and variety, if he doesn't have what you need ask and he most likely will order it just for you. His Knowledge and experience should and probably do exceed that of your average clerk at Dick's/W-mart and more often than not he will be thrilled to share that info with you (Guns are normally a passion not merely an occupation for most small FFLs). Support this resource or soon it will disappear and we will be left with only the few guns that large chain retailers are willing to carry.

Even if it's The Gun Room?

The problem with the chain stores for me is availability. While dicks seems to have a lot more inventory than walmart, I've crossed walmart permanetly
off the list because its so much of a pain in the ass to buy ammo there. Also,
have fun trying to find more than one brand. Dicks has what... UMC.. which is
okay, and then ultramax, which is generally trash.

I agree that FFL pricing is often rough, but this is where bargaining comes
in... many will sharpen the pencil if you buy a ton of whatever it is you want
at once.

-Mike
Good points. That, and the Ted Nugent lookalike at W. Boylston Walmart is a goober, and I'm not sure if the Oxford one sells ammo any more.

Reading
That clerk is in training for employment in the leftist mainstream media. ...

then
I've walked into Wal-Mart and told them that I needed 1000 rds of .45 for a pistol course . . . and then was asked for my FID! This has happened in more than one Wal-Mart. In one case, the clerk said "FID, LTC . . . it's all the same to me!" ...

"TSTL" comes to mind here!

Which is why they always say FID in the news articles instead of pistol permit or LTC.

(What is TSTL?)

Last edited:
I'm going to scour these posts (the one's I was responding to) for references to MA:.....

I know I'm not very smart, but I'm not seeing any MA specific language there.

Start with your post:

If I'm looking for something "non-standard," then I just mail-order it from Natchez or someplace like that. Another side benefit of free America.

An obvious reference to NOT being in Mass. [rolleyes]

That was simple enough. Now for the advanced analysis:

1. Specific Mass. locations in the poster's ID; i.e., "Northshore," "Attleboro," etc.;

2. Specific Mass. locations in the poster's reference to the store a purchase was made/attempted in; and

3. Specific references to Mass. firearms licenses; i.e., "FID" or "LTC."

Better get some Chore Boy the next time you want to "scour" something. [slap]

Start with your post:
An obvious reference to NOT being in Mass. [rolleyes]

That was simple enough. Now for the advanced analysis:

1. Specific Mass. locations in the poster's ID; i.e., "Northshore," "Attleboro," etc.;

2. Specific Mass. locations in the poster's reference to the store a purchase was made/attempted in; and

3. Specific references to Mass. firearms licenses; i.e., "FID" or "LTC."

Better get some Chore Boy the next time you want to "scour" something. [slap]
I'm not looking for a pissing contest, but if you read carefully, you'll see I was responding to three specific posts, two from Ripach (no location below his name. Do I have to guess where he's from?) and one from you. I could care less about FID/LTC/BLT's. That's someone else's problem. Both of Ripach's posts deal with purchasing from big-box stores vice local gun store (not MA big-box stores vs MA local gun stores), and yours was specific to Walmat (not MA Walmarts). My comments were that not all big-box stores, i.e. the ones out here in Free America, suffer from "poor service and selection," so don't paint all big-box stores with the same brush.

Seems simple.

Scott let me help you out I live in South Eastern Mass. , not that my location has any affect on my opinion in regard to this subject. I lived for two years in the state of Texas where gun ownership is a requirement for citizenship so I do know what its like to live in a so called "Free State", even then with the rivers of Walmart flowwing with Ammo selection I bought mine at a gun store. If your local Walmart has a good variety and knowledgeable staff, and you would rather pay corporate America then God Bless and enjoy I for one will pass.

And in response to Coyote's little quip about The Gun Room, I drive 30 to 40 mins to the north to get to NE traders because my local FFL is Richies in Westport and He is a dick (Note: Just my opinion, visit his shop and form your own [rofl]). So to answer your implied question when I say local FFl local is a subjective term. To throw out a positive plug I have had good experiences with Ron's Sport shop in Dartmouth but it's a small operation and his selection is limited.

+1,000,000

Screw the big chains.

Back
Top Bottom