figured i'd share

And those points were not without merit.

However, the complaints about poor selection and uninformed help were about the Mass. big boxes from Mass. residents trying to cope with Mass. laws.

A fact your repeated references to "free America" made it obvious you acknowledged. [rolleyes]

Ohio Walmarts suck donkey dick when it comes to guns, ammo, and the intelligence of the people selling them. So it's not just a Mass problem.

I've run into Wal-marts with knowledgable shooters working the desk, and premium gun stores with clerks that don't know anything. It goes both ways. Certainly there are a lot of dipshits working at Walmart and Dicks, and certainly there are knowledgable people at gun stores, but there's no rule. Shop where what they offer best fits what you want in a store.

TSTL = To Stupid to Live!

I think Scriv was the first one to use this term on NES that I recall seeing.

Scott let me help you out I live in South Eastern Mass. , not that my location has any affect on my opinion in regard to this subject. I lived for two years in the state of Texas where gun ownership is a requirement for citizenship so I do know what its like to live in a so called "Free State", even then with the rivers of Walmart flowwing with Ammo selection I bought mine at a gun store. If your local Walmart has a good variety and knowledgeable staff, and you would rather pay corporate America then God Bless and enjoy I for one will pass.

And in response to Coyote's little quip about The Gun Room, I drive 30 to 40 mins to the north to get to NE traders because my local FFL is Richies in Westport and He is a dick (Note: Just my opinion, visit his shop and form your own [rofl]). So to answer your implied question when I say local FFl local is a subjective term. To throw out a positive plug I have had good experiences with Ron's Sport shop in Dartmouth but it's a small operation and his selection is limited.

Great line.

All I can think is you're willing to spend a lot of money on ammo than I am, as we're talking about the difference between ~$14 per hundred and ~$12 per fifty. At those mark-ups, it's hard to see how the "local FFL" is my friend, anymore than the gas station that charges $.25 a gallon more than the going rate.

BTW, just out of curiosity, how much does a FFL have to make before he's "corporate America?" Is there a $$ cutoff? How about Kittery Trading Post? Are they "corporate America" or a "local FFL?"

BTW, just out of curiosity, how much does a FFL have to make before he's "corporate America?" Is there a $$ cutoff? How about Kittery Trading Post? Are they "corporate America" or a "local FFL?"

This is a statement I agree with in principle. On one hand, you have the concept that FFL's feeling threatened by the big box, must keep prices high to compete. This seems valid, but considering there's buying cooperatives, I don't quite buy it. When I can buy twice the ammo for far less than twice the cost, why should I not? Because it supports Wally World? Does it not also support the people that work the counter there, stock the shelves there, sweep the floors there, collect the carts, drive the trucks? Does it not support the line workers at Winchester? "Corporate America" Winchester? The people in the distribution warehouse? In the end, does it not support me? I can still enjoy a sport I love and also have money left for groceries.

As a final example I leave this: I am not an FFL, ammo dealer or ammo distributor. I am a consumer. With this in mind, I have 1,000-rounds of Speer Gold Dot 135gr +P GDHP's coming in. Go to your "Local Good-Guy FFL" and price a box of 20. I did. $21.99 for 20 rounds - a little over a buck a round or $1,099.50 per thousand. My cost? $239.95 in a factory sealed case plus $15.00 shipping. How can this be? Is it a magic ammo fairy? Am I buying from someone who robs ammo trucks? Could it be a philanthropist, rather than a capitalist? Factory seconds? No, it's legitimate licensed ammo dealer who makes a living, (an honest one) and does not feel the need to gouge...Period.

Just in case anyone cares, the Ware Wal-Mart will no longer sell ammo once it's current stock runs out, if it hasn't already.

I guess we have too many gun shops around and there selection was crap anyways?

(Disclaimer: this is what I was told by one of their employees)

ya as a kid who still has those jobs working at walmart and stuff i understand and honestly most of the time we dont get any training on anything. hell trust me never shop at circuit city and always go home and check your info online. i worked there and they lie all the time. what ever tv or computer they have currently too much is the best thing in the world and nothing else can compare,

but i also see the other side, currently working at a gas station part time while still attending college( hopefull my interview at RI hospital IT departments comes through cross your fingers) i get people coming in to by cigieretts and i dont smoke and never have so when some one asks me for a specific brand and flavor i ask them honeslty what color because when i look up there is tons of brands and stuff and different flavor of brands look different and stuff. and some of them get mad and not yell but roll there eyes and the shoulder shrug happens, and some of them are like you dont know what a virgina slim menthol ultra light luxery 120's boxs looks like,which honestly i kinda laugh inside about it. the people mostly at Wal-mart and dicks are just passing through. FFL tho have a buisness and are serious about this. That 18 year kid grapping your ammo could of been idk some kid working on his electronics degree or automotive degree.

i worked at circuit city for 7 months and 1 of those was actually in a computer department when i had a AS degree and working on my BS in computer networking but they hired me for the Customer service and they believed that there instore training gave there IT guys a better understanding of computers then me when i continuely correct my co-works about things. But of couse when some one couldnt figure something out and they need help with all the computers they were supposed to fix they called me to help even tho i didn;t have there proper training.

O.K. , Busted, you caught me [wink] . If I lived closer to kitery yes I would shop there. However a distinction I would point out to lessen my feelings of guilt is that KTP is an outdoor sports outlet and probably does give a shit about you 2A rights to a fair degree, whereas Walmart probably would not give a rats ass if tomorrow an all out ban went into effect and their gun counter disappeared.

As I stated earlier I don't feel my choices make any better than anyone else, and I will also add if you feel it is worth the $avings then more power to you. I am more then willing to agree to disagree.

Back
Top Bottom