Finally, a single stack DA/SA - Springfield XD-E

Anyone try one of these yet? Since Springfield quit the IL gun manufacturer's association, this is back on the table.
I don't believe that a huge player like Springfield had no idea what the association that they're a majority stakeholder in was going to do. At least RRA's CEO reportedly went apeshit mad in public when he found out so I'm more inclined to forgive them than Springfield.

For ~$150 more one could have a P30sk which provides HK quality, shorter grip, 10rd flush mags, no stupid thumb safety, 1 oz lighter. The only down side is thickness. this xde is listed as 25 oz. thats heavy for a single stack 8rd gun. The walther pps m2 is considered "heavy" at like 22 oz.

Does the xde have any slide serrations? Why does it look like near nothing.

The P239 is just on the margins. I often carry around a P232SL in warm weather which would be perfect if it was a 9mm and in the winter p225 which is just a bit too large at times and needs to have a 9 round mad (instead of a jerry-rigged P239 8rd mag).

The P239 is a really excellent gun but it is sort of the dumpy ugly cousin of the P225 and P232. I'd take that over some Springfield junk any day.

Yeah, I wish Sig made a smaller polymer single stack DA/SA or I'd not be looking at this Springfield. But I've never heard they're unreliable. It's not Sig build quality but it's also $500.

P239 is a bit too big, and I have a CZ for winter carry. I do love the P225-A1.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't believe that a huge player like Springfield had no idea what the association that they're a majority stakeholder in was going to do. At least RRA's CEO reportedly went apeshit mad in public when he found out so I'm more inclined to forgive them than Springfield.

It might have been something like the local VP signed off on it, but the higher ups were pissed when they found out. We'll never know, but quitting the association is good enough for me.

For ~$150 more one could have a P30sk which provides HK quality, shorter grip, 10rd flush mags, no stupid thumb safety, 1 oz lighter. The only down side is thickness. this xde is listed as 25 oz. thats heavy for a single stack 8rd gun. The walther pps m2 is considered "heavy" at like 22 oz.

Does the xde have any slide serrations? Why does it look like near nothing.

I don't like the HK triggers, don't like the thumb decocker, and the grip doesn't fit me well. The XDE from reviews has a very easy slide rack so it doesn't need it I guess.

The gun's getting great reviews but not sure I believe all the early reviews.

I find it hilarious that springfield hyped up their new single stack offering to then release hammer fired gun. as if a hammer is a new idea. it's almost as hilarious as springfield bending over the entire state of illinois to save a few $$. I've purchased one springfield firearm in my lifetime and it's one too many. they can EABOD.

Yep. They can go take a long walk off a short pier.

The gun's getting great reviews but not sure I believe all the early reviews.

SA must dedicate a lot resources to marketing. They flew in writers to LV for the last few product releases. Kinda hard to give a bad review if you want to be invited back again. It's probably a good gun, but sometimes difficult to figure the shills.

Last edited by a moderator:
SA must dedicate a lot resources to marketing. They flew in writers to LV for the last few product releases. Kinda hard to give a bad review if you want to be invited back again. It's probably a good gun, but sometimes difficult to figure the shills.

Yeah, that's what i mean, I ignore any such review. Free trips to Vegas tend to make you forgiving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading the article at the OP's link, I noticed that they used 115gr ammunition. That no doubt added to the soft felt recoil. I wonder how it shoots with 147gr ammunition? That aside, S&W assures us that there is no market for this kind of gun. They officially stopped making the 3rd Generation semi autos in 2006, although they were still making them in Houlton as late as 2014 for LE agencies that insisted on real guns.

The 3rd Generation set the pattern for single stack DA/SA guns, and it's too bad that S&W has abandoned them in order to make 1911 pattern guns and water pistols.

Reading the article at the OP's link, I noticed that they used 115gr ammunition. That no doubt added to the soft felt recoil. I wonder how it shoots with 147gr ammunition? That aside, S&W assures us that there is no market for this kind of gun. They officially stopped making the 3rd Generation semi autos in 2006, although they were still making them in Houlton as late as 2014 for LE agencies that insisted on real guns.

The 3rd Generation set the pattern for single stack DA/SA guns, and it's too bad that S&W has abandoned them in order to make 1911 pattern guns and water pistols.

If anything 147s are softer than 115 most of the time, in my experience.. at least at standard pressure.

I disagree, at least with my 3rd Generation S&Ws. They were designed around the then standard 147gr LE round. When shooting 115gr rounds out of my 3913TSW, I found that I hit 4-5 inches low at 21 feet. 124gr brought that up by 3 inches, and I was spot on to point of aim with 147gr rounds, both FMJ and JHP. Until one of the Obama Ammo Scares, most 9mm was 147gr, with some 115gr rounds out there. For the past several years, 147gr was just about impossible to find. Now, it's made a reappearance. There is some 135gr that's not too bad and I will use 124gr for the range, but that's it. I sold off all of my 115gr range fodder because I found I had to change my point of aim for it to be at all accurate.

Other guns, other shooters, may have different experiences, but that is what I found.

If anything 147s are softer than 115 most of the time, in my experience.. at least at standard pressure.

I disagree, at least with my 3rd Generation S&Ws. They were designed around the then standard 147gr LE round. When shooting 115gr rounds out of my 3913TSW, I found that I hit 4-5 inches low at 21 feet. 124gr brought that up by 3 inches, and I was spot on to point of aim with 147gr rounds, both FMJ and JHP. Until one of the Obama Ammo Scares, most 9mm was 147gr, with some 115gr rounds out there. For the past several years, 147gr was just about impossible to find. Now, it's made a reappearance. There is some 135gr that's not too bad and I will use 124gr for the range, but that's it. I sold off all of my 115gr range fodder because I found I had to change my point of aim for it to be at all accurate.

Other guns, other shooters, may have different experiences, but that is what I found.

I'm just speaking about recoil, not POI. I just know this from when I ran shitloads of ammo through my Sig P series guns, the 147 gr stuff always "felt weaker".

This is also the reason why guys in USPSA and IDPA load 147s, a 147 gr powder puff load that just makes PF with a little extra will feel less "snappy" than a 115 or 124 loaded the same.

-Mike

Tell me that isn't true, though. There's no real point to this thing, it's targeting a buyer that, for most intents and purposes, doesn't exist.

I'm all for seeing more models of handguns come out to fit different peoples needs. This thing though, is literally an answer to a question that literally nobody asked.

I guess there's something to the "low effort slide" thing, if it really is that easy to operate. Could be helpful to someone with low hand strength, but I'd have to see what it actually is, etc.

-Mike
Its for old, fat, arthritic ex-cops who needed 2-3 tries to pass their qualification when they were on the force.

Yeah. They innovated a Sig. Right after Sig innovated a Springfield.

What's next??? A new Colt polymer pistol??? Kel-Tec all-steel 1911???

I am kind of surprised it doesn't come with one of those holsters that's designed to rack the slide when you push down on it, you know, so it doesn't have to be carried with a round in the pipe. That version will be next. The gun will also have an XO BigDot sight set on it installed from the factory.

-Mike

Springfield just likes to overhype new products which are really nothing special. Like the long countdown they had for the Saint which was a big mystery and ended up being a regular AR.

My point was that recoil impacts (no pun intended) the POI. The 115gr just didn't have enough and so the gun shot lower than expected.

I'm just speaking about recoil, not POI. I just know this from when I ran shitloads of ammo through my Sig P series guns, the 147 gr stuff always "felt weaker".

This is also the reason why guys in USPSA and IDPA load 147s, a 147 gr powder puff load that just makes PF with a little extra will feel less "snappy" than a 115 or 124 loaded the same.

-Mike

Alright here come the memes:
(Sorry, not sorry)

18253089_1954987588055621_3862336941080969216_n.jpg

19228664_244266612737874_986780156574040064_n.jpg

18444163_942735012536394_8640230931073859584_n.jpg

18298509_186291655226746_2583949571923116032_n.jpg

18252062_153089078558765_5777944156697526272_n.jpg

18161771_694479804070760_5809072091089076224_n.jpg

18095455_301045726985623_8508234744842944512_n.jpg

18252243_1904689233145684_4510130077899423744_n.jpg

My point was that recoil impacts (no pun intended) the POI. The 115gr just didn't have enough and so the gun shot lower than expected.

How? Unless you're performing some kind of weird controlled flinching when you shoot the gun, recoil usually has nothing to do with where the gun is going to hit.

-Mike

I am kind of surprised it doesn't come with one of those holsters that's designed to rack the slide when you push down on it, you know, so it doesn't have to be carried with a round in the pipe. That version will be next. The gun will also have an XO BigDot sight set on it installed from the factory.

-Mike

LOL. . . but HEY! I love those BigassDot sights.

Back
Top Bottom