• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Finnaly baged a KRAG

Well i finnaly got a Krag, i have a rifle for every U.S. conflict since the
Civil War, the only one i was missing was the Spanish/American war and
i scooped a beauty at the Concord show on Saterday!! i have seen junk
ones with rotten bores priced at $750 and $800 this one has a super
bore, the stock is excelant, the finnish is about 75% and he had a tag
on it was $650. i checked it out and said the bore looks dark!! "will you
take $500??" he said "NO but ill take $550" I say,s OOOOOOOOK and
took it home and took it to Bed with Me!

PS i put a bore-snake through her and she turned out shiney/preety

it pays to go early on the first day! Take Care Sheriff Dudley

Great Rifle! I got mine just under a year ago at Four Seasons - as reported here:

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7870&highlight=krag

Reloading is the way to go - like almost every other caliber - because .30-40 Krag is often hard to find. You never know when you'll run into a deal, though. I was in a Dick's Sporting Goods shortly after getting mine, and saw a box of Remington .30-40 on the shelf. The clerk pulled it out, and it was priced at 99 cents! I asked him to double-check, but that was correct. They were doing an inventory reduction of some sort, and that's where it was priced. Man, I wish there had been more than one box there!

I'm sure you'll find that with a decent bore, the Krag is VERY accurate - at least a much better shooter than I am. My first range outing produced 1" groups at 50 yards no problem. Old-world craftsmanship at its finest.

ENJOY!

I picked up a sportered rifle at KTP a couple of months ago. Finish is beat but it has a decent bore. Best part was the barrel is uncut. Havent had a chance to load for it yet but if it shoots well I figure I can restore it for sbout another $100.

I picked up a sportered rifle at KTP a couple of months ago. Finish is beat but it has a decent bore. Best part was the barrel is uncut. Havent had a chance to load for it yet but if it shoots well I figure I can restore it for sbout another $100.

good luck finding a stock and parts for $100 !

I have already found the parts that I need. It wasnt much. As for the stock I am doing a splice as it was cut just forward of the barrel band and the cut stock still has some of the orginal cartouches. The extensions are $40 and then I have to finish it and match it. I think the total will be $115 shipped for the parts and extension. Going to try to get the loads done this week and take it out on Sat.

Congrats ! You won't find a smoother shooting rifle. I love mine..when I can afford to shoot it !

Dennis as i remember dont you have two of those Krag,s?? i think i
tried to swap you a minty .43 Spanish Rolling Block for one a year or so ago?
or was that someone else?? My brain has developed a Teflon coating lately,
anyway i still have the Rolling block in the cabinet (dusting money)
Also do you reload? thats the only way i can shoot all these Caliber,s i load
for 26 Metalic cartriges and two shotgun ga,s 12&20 thats half the fun!!
Take Care Sheriff Dudley.

Dennis as i remember dont you have two of those Krag,s?? i think i
tried to swap you a minty .43 Spanish Rolling Block for one a year or so ago?
or was that someone else?? My brain has developed a Teflon coating lately,
anyway i still have the Rolling block in the cabinet (dusting money)
Also do you reload? thats the only way i can shoot all these Caliber,s i load
for 26 Metalic cartriges and two shotgun ga,s 12&20 thats half the fun!!
Take Care Sheriff Dudley.

yup I had two, sold one, needed the $$$$.

Haven't started any reloading yet. It's on my to do list for one of these days.

Damn, SD, I'll be getting a cut down 1898 rifle soon. Somebody did a decent job making an obviously fake carbine, using a 1903 front sight. I won't say what I paid for it, it's so low, I'll get a reputation as a thief.

I got an 03-A3 (Smith Corona) from the same guy for $200 (it was his father's, and I do know this guy). Again, the stock was cut, and it was original, had all the right cartouches.

And before there's comments, yes, I do sleep nights.

Back
Top Bottom