Firearms bedside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it ok to sleep with a firearm beside your bed with no trigger lock and not in a safe?

Welcome mikeypjr. Im sure somebody here will chime in shortly. Me, I dont think it is a good idea. Look into a SV500 on amazon.

Why no, Officer. MA has very stringent storage laws, dictating that the firearm has to be kept in a locked container or equipped with a trigger lock to be compliant. We are all much safer as a result and thank our good legislators for thinking for us ignorant peons once again.

I think it should it should be locked in a safe or have a trigger lock on it was just curious what others thought i have a friend who thinks differently

TROLL! OK I'll bite.......no it is not OK.....Mass has strict storage laws that need to be adhered to by all of us in order to make the world a much safer place.

[rolleyes]

There are varying degrees of interpretation on this. Whether or not the gun is under your direct "control" while sleeping. Look into spending a couple hundred bucks on a 9g biometric safe. Stupid law and is obviously total nonsense, but a quick access biometric is as close as keeping it in a drawer as it gets.

You're going to have a hard enough time reacting, judging and aiming in the middle of the night out of a dead sleep, if you even wake up to a bump in the night in the first place. Then add going to your safe, spinning the combo in the dark or fumbling with keys while someone tears through you're house. No thanks.

Also tell Martha I sleep with my gun tucked into my gooch, so it's under my direct control.

Last edited:
My wife and I have matching conceal night stands with easy access. I don't want to be fumbling with a lock or safe in the event that I need a gun in my hand.

Ya johnny English i think easy access if definitly the way to go and thats what i actually should have said rather than a safe

The Law states that unlocked firearms are required to be under your direct control at all times. Normally "direct control" is a grey area that's pretty much left to be defined by the DA. However I have been told by several safety instructors that the bedside table constitutes direct control.
If you have little ones though this is obviously a no go.

If you live in MA - than of course not - that would be illegal. If you live in a free state and have no kids running around, than I keep it in a holster on the nightstand. I do so just for trigger coverage. I have hard enough time finding my glasses and cell phone when its time to get up, I don't need to be half asleep groping around for the snooze button and finding the inside of a trigger guard instead. Plus our cat is a dick.

I think it should it should be locked in a safe or have a trigger lock on it was just curious what others thought i have a friend who thinks differently

So, the govt should decide what you do in your own bedroom?

Last edited:
So basically its using your best judgement but legally no

Legally fuzzy.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131L
MGL Chapter 140 said:
Section 131L. (a) It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user. For purposes of this section, such weapon shall not be deemed stored or kept if carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user.

If you're the only one in the house and are sleeping 2 feet away from your nightstand, you could make an argument that it's "under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user." If there are "unauthorized users" (kids or non-licensed people) who also have access it would be a tough argument to make.

As you can see you are going to get a bunch of opinions on is it leagal, is it safe, etc.. I would go leagal dont want my local police chief to pull my LTC because I sneezed in the middle of the night and my gun went off. ( I like my triggers light)[wink]

You're going to have a hard enough time reacting, judging and aiming in the middle of the night out of a dead sleep, if you even wake up to a bump in the night in the first place. Then add going to your safe, spinning the combo in the dark or fumbling with keys while someone tears through you're house. No thanks.

Also tell Martha I sleep with my gun tucked into my gooch, so it's under my direct control.

Thats why all my night stand firearms have weapon lights :p

See dave thats what a friend was told but i dont see how a bedside table constitutes as direct control when your sleeping

So basically its using your best judgement but legally no

MA legislators don't want you to use your best judgement. They want you to call the police in the event of a home intruder.

If you ever had to use your handgun for self defense in a middle of the night home invasion, I have no idea if the police will ask you how you retrieved your firearm. Your response, if asked, should be: "I should probably have a lawyer present before answering any question sir."

You were in bed reading your book when the front door was kicked in, got it?

See dave thats what a friend was told but i dont see how a bedside table constitutes as direct control when your sleeping

To be clear, the standard is not "direct control." That's a transport thing. For storage the standard is "under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user."

Mikeypjr.......you'll find what these guys are saying is that legally it is very vague as to if in a nightstand constitutes direct control.....that is how the libtard state of assachusetts like it. But I see you are very new here and will soon find out most of the board members here are libertarians and simply don't like being TOLD what to do in their own home. Personally.......I keep mine in a cannon safe in my bedroom because I FEEL that is what is best for my situation........I dont' feel the government should be telling me and everyone else what is best for us. See what I mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom