• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Storing firearms out of state

As to no jurisdiction out of state ....

To be safe the ownership of the guns must be transferred. A MA court can issue an order to surrender all guns including those stored out of state that you have direct or constructive possession of, and one can be held in contempt for not doing so. The safe harbor is to have documentable proof the guns have been transferred - which creates repatriation problems when it is time to get them back (have to go through an FFL).

It would be an odd situation though. If a person take firearms out of state in order to comply with the law, and the MA court forces that person to bring them back, thereby forcing him to break the law.

So firearms that are in my name don't need to be accounted for if this goes through? If I lend them to a relative in Arkansas and he drives them down there, I'm good to go?

So firearms that are in my name don't need to be accounted for if this goes through? If I lend them to a relative in Arkansas and he drives them down there, I'm good to go?
If they aren’t in MA then you can tell the communists to GFY.

Well, there seem to be competing thoughts on that from respected members. If the real goal of the leftist pols running this state is to disarm us completely and forever, then maybe they can get a court order like Rob talked about and lock you up until you comply by turning in every firearm you own, here or there. If their goal is just to rid the state of firearms with no further concern as long as the firearms have left the state, then we might be good to go storing them with our Free State friends and relatives.

We will surely find out their plans in time. 🤔

Well, there seem to be competing thoughts on that from respected members. If the real goal of the leftist pols running this state is to disarm us completely and forever, then maybe they can get a court order like Rob talked about and lock you up until you comply by turning in every firearm you own, here or there. If their goal is just to rid the state of firearms with no further concern as long as the firearms have left the state, then we might be good to go storing them with our Free State friends and relatives.

We will surely find out in time. 🤔
Communists have one goal: tyranny via perpetual power.

YOUR role is to obey and pay, unless you want to be cancelled, incarcerated or disappeared.

So of course they’d hunt you down and use the courts and law enforcement to find every last firearm you have access to, no matter where it is.

Firearms in your name...you talking registered Class III stuff?

Other than that and following fed rules, what are they going to do, make you drive to AR and get them.

Seriously, if the stuff isn't in state, it is not subject to MA's garbage.

Firearms in your name...you talking registered Class III stuff?

Other than that and following fed rules, what are they going to do, make you drive to AR and get them.

Seriously, if the stuff isn't in state, it is not subject to MA's garbage.
Yea. We don't have an existing registry of firearms in MA. We have a sales transaction portal. Nothing is "registered." The only way something would get registered CA style is if we have a law that mandates a registry first. Beyond that, you have a record that some gun was sold to you at some point. You are not required to dispose of that gun to anyone in MA and there is certainly no record when you do so out of state. Class 3 items are registered w/ BATFE so, in theory, they could get access to these records.

Assuming the most draconian outcome, transferring them to an FFL out of state and then having them transferred back is the way to go. Or, if we are talking about NH only, and you have the extra money, find a closet somewhere and just open up your own FFL :)

As to no jurisdiction out of state ....

To be safe the ownership of the guns must be transferred. A MA court can issue an order to surrender all guns including those stored out of state that you have direct or constructive possession of, and one can be held in contempt for not doing so. The safe harbor is to have documentable proof the guns have been transferred - which creates repatriation problems when it is time to get them back (have to go through an FFL).
What if you bought a gun in NH and left it there? No FA-10 required and only the ffl
Knows. No laws broken and no paper trail? “Asking for a friend”

I will add 2 versions

1. I have a second home there and will leave it there.

2. Left it a my buddy’s house. Not a loan. But gave him a safe with no key

And the problem with short barrels rifles and them being in a trust. You need the person who you hand them to to be in the trust and you need to fill out the 5320 form. Am I mostly correct here ? This would be a ballbuster. I think I remember the ATF wanting to know where the guns will be stored and would need to change up that too.

And the problem with short barrels rifles and them being in a trust. You need the person who you hand them to to be in the trust and you need to fill out the 5320 form. Am I mostly correct here ? This would be a ballbuster. I think I remember the ATF wanting to know where the guns will be stored and would need to change up that too.
Actually its 5320.20 for out of state transport of an NFA weapon.

That’s going to be my problem moving NFA items out of MA permenently if this thing passes.

We are not sticking around if it does.

unless the left can replace three justices or pack the court.
They only need to replace two. Alito and Thomas are getting up there in age. The next presidential election is just around the corner and it’s looking very likely that it’s gonna be another 4 years of Dem presidency. I’d say this is definitely a possibility in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom