FIRELAPPING UPDATE 01/31/10 Savage 10FP Results Post 18

Update Post 18 with Savage 10FP 1/31/10

Mods, please move to the general area. I didn't mean to exclude non-members. Thank you.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to share with you my amazing experience earlier today with firelapping our 10/22. First off, anyone who is currently loading or considering loading cast bullets, the "Beartooth Bullets Technical Guide - A Comprehensive Guide for Attaining Unsurpassed Performance Using Cast Bullets" by Marshall Stanton is one of the clearest and most complete summaries to getting the best performance from your cast bullets. Link: http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/book.htm

For those of you who are unfamiliar with firelapping, it is simply the process of smoothing out constraints within your barrel and polishing your barrel's unseen imperfections smooth. This will not only increase accuracy significantly in virtually all types of guns, but will also reduce leading, copper fouling, and also makes it easier to clean. The process is easy, cheap, and can only help improve your firearm. After I watched my grouping on the 10/22 shrink, I am convinced that almost everyone on here would benefit from doing it themselves.

To firelap you will first need:

• Soft lead bullets oversized to the bore by from .0015 to .0035

• Clover compound 320 grit

• Loaded rounds to enough velocity to ensure that the bullet leaves the bore but not much more. For the 10/22 this meant that we got solid lead subsonic rounds

I started with a well cleaned bore without any trace of lead or copper fouling. It is necessary before you begin to clear any traces of copper from your barrel. The process we followed was to cover the bullet with a thin coat of clover compound with care to avoid getting any on the brass. I shot 10 of these loaded one by one and then patched the bore until I was sure all of the grit was removed from the barrel. I then shot a ten round group. (looking back on it I should have shot a group before any lapping for a baseline but I wanted to start with a clean barrel). I then fired 10 more lapping bullets, patched the bore and then fired another 10 round group. This process is typically repeated until the group does not shrink any further. After 3 rotations of 10 lapping shots, patch cleaning, and 10 round grouping shots, it shot more accurately than I could. I shot these from a benchrest at 50ft rapid fire and the improvement is apparent:

After the first ten lapping rounds: (you can only imagine what a grouping with no lapping shots fired would look like)
View attachment 8322

After twenty lapping rounds:
View attachment 8321

After thirty lapping rounds:
View attachment 8320

Our next project is our Savage 10FP which has been very accurate but is starting to show signs of copper fouling. The gun has been well cleaned and any trace of fouling has since been removed. For this we will be using fireformed brass, decapped without sizing. Bullets are soft lead casted, rolled between two metal plates with clover compound to embed the grit into the lead. These bullets are then inserted into the unsized brass over 4 grains of bullseye without any crimp. They are shot singly with the bore patched after each shot. Groups will be shot after each 10 lapping rounds to determine when to stop lapping. I hope this information helps and again I highly recommend all of you to try it out and see your accuracy improve. It can only help [smile]

UPDATE 01/23/10: Ruger MK3

Well we had a chance to go to the range today with the intent of firelapping our savage 308. It fired fine but for some reason after one firelapping shot, it refused to chamber any more firelapping rounds, however shot regular rounds with no problem. Hopefully we will be back out there very soon with some improved reloads to get the job done, but in the meantime I can share some more results with our ruger MK3 target that we were able to firelap instead. Both targets were shot at 50ft benchrest (awkward but I managed).

First the baseline (no lapping):
View attachment 8424

After ten lapping rounds:
View attachment 8423

Note that I did shoot a third target, but it was the same grouping as the second so I stopped lapping at that point. I'm sure the gun at that time was shooting much more accurately than me, at 50ft it was difficult to tell the difference from a 10 or a 9 but again, the grouping shows significant improvement overall. I called at least one of the flyers on the second target, between the cold (outdoor range), awkward pistol benchresting, and not being able to see the target I think I'm allowed at least one or two, so be kind [wink]

I'll post the savage results as soon as possible, [STRIKE]once we figure out the issue with the load [/STRIKE] It was an issue with the non-fireformed brass as we suspected, about half of them were not fireformed and apparently each time I grabbed for any to test fire I happened to pick the non-fireformed ones. I'm confident the savage will show an improvement, but I'm still anxious to get out the range and see what it can do [wink]

Last edited:
I would be interested in hearing the results on the 10FP, as well. Stock barrels on both rifles? I have always assumed that the most gains to get from firelapping would be on factory barrels. But, I haven't tried it myself. Keep us posted!!

There is also a commercial kit available with loaded ammunition with various grit compound. You shoot them in sequence etc.....
I think I saw it in Brownells (or sinclair)

Interesting. Never really heard about/read up on firelapping before.

On the 10/22, was that with the stock ruger iron sights? A scope? Tech Sights?

This was a "Walmart Special" 10/22 with the original barrel and a Simmons scope.... Accuracy when we first got it was all over the place and we messed up in not shooting a baseline target before we shot the first string of firelap rounds so you could see how bad it was.... Was at one point considering replacing the barrel with a target version but decided to give this a try first.... After the 30 firelap rounds we were amazed at the improvement and with 10 rounds giving us one ragged hole I would now consider this to be a keeper....[smile]

Worth noting how important it is to stop lapping when your groups stop shrinking to avoid removing any unnecessary metal.... You just want to lap out any roughness and minor constriction, nothing more.....

Link to the beartooth bullets book.... Only 100 pages or so long but money well spent if you are shooting cast bullets.....

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/book.htm

Last edited:
I would be interested in hearing the results on the 10FP, as well. Stock barrels on both rifles? I have always assumed that the most gains to get from firelapping would be on factory barrels. But, I haven't tried it myself. Keep us posted!!

Stock barrels on both..... Mark cast the bullets for the savage yesterday but we haven't had a chance to load the firelap rounds yet so will probably get to shoot them this weekend.... While already pretty accurate we were thinking the savage might benefit significantly due to early signs of copper fouling which would tend to indicate some roughness in the barrel.... Am thinking that firelapping should take care of that nicely.... Just like with the 10/22 we will post all of the targets shot after each lapping string.....[wink]

Last edited:

I'll definitely post results when I get them. I was just amazed at how nicely this worked and I figured I would share it with all of you. I always just classified the inaccuracy as a flinch or maybe a loose scope but I knew that I had the crosshairs in the right place and tried to be as steady as possible. This definitely confirms that it's a very fixable problem though. I mean I shot that last hole pretty quickly but I'm sure if I took my time it would look even tighter

The main thing I want to test with the Savage would be how it fouls after firelapping. Tiny imperfections within the barrel must have been present even in the stock bull barrel because of how quickly it showed signs of copper. Hopefully after firelapping it will make it smooth and polished and won't give an area for anything to stick to [smile]

Last edited:
Bob and Mark, you guys are the best! Great technique "on the cheap" as usual.

Just you wait until my bullet swaging die set comes in. Then I'll have a new trick for you both!

Aside: I think this thread would go better in the "Equipment" area.

Last edited:
Thanks for an informative article. I never really thought about firelapping a .22 rimfire barrel, but after reading this, I may have to try it. What ammo did you use for the grouping tests, the same subsonic or something else? Where did you get the clover compound?

Thanks for an informative article. I never really thought about firelapping a .22 rimfire barrel, but after reading this, I may have to try it. What ammo did you use for the grouping tests, the same subsonic or something else? Where did you get the clover compound?

It can be found in a few places including amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Greased-Silic..._1?ie=UTF8&s=industrial&qid=1263918184&sr=1-1

We normally use federal bulk packs or winchester "333" packs, for this test we used the winchester "333" packs for the grouping, but I don't think it matters either way, nothing fancy [smile]

Last edited:

We used standard ammo for the grouping since that is what we usually shoot.... Only used the subsonic for lapping.... Like Mark said, we got the compound on amazon but you should be able to find it in any one of a number of places that cater to gearheads and stock locktite stuff.... IIRC it's primarily used for valve lapping.... If you have a choice get the 4oz size.... A little bit really goes a long way.....[wink]

From what I've read (including the beartooth bullet book), this is the only stuff you want to use if you are rolling your own.... The grease/grit compounding apparently provides just the right balance of lubrication/abrasion.....

Last edited:
Intresting. Thank you for taking the time to do a write up with pics of your findings. I'm very intrested in seeing the results of the Savage test.

On a side note what cleaners did you use to clean the bore prior to lapping?

Intresting. Thank you for taking the time to do a write up with pics of your findings. I'm very intrested in seeing the results of the Savage test.

On a side note what cleaners did you use to clean the bore prior to lapping?

We used KG12 for the copper fouling.... Really works well....[smile]

https://www.kgcoatings.com/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=25

We used this for leading and general crud removal.... This was a SS barrel but it's nice to know that it's also is safe for bluing....

http://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

Used Hoppes #9 for the carbon....

One other thing mentioned in the Beartooth book is to use a 7/8-14 x 2 1/2 bolt in a single stage press to seat the compound impregnated bullets.... You really don't want abrasives anywhere near your regular seating die.....[wink]

Couldn't find one at the local Home depot so ended up ordering one through McMaster-Carr... With luck I'll have it in before this weekend.....[grin]

Bob, thank you for the links, I'll have to look into those products. I have a couple of rifles that may benifit from a good lapping.

UPDATE 1/31/10: Savage 10FP

We made it out to the range again today to finish up Firelapping our Savage 10FP. I was happy with the results, but the cold and crosswinds still were a factor. So I'll jump right into it, I was shooting at 100Yrds from a bipod, 10x scope, four rounds each except the baseline which was 5 rounds.

Baseline: (5 rounds, all the rest are 4 round groups)
View attachment 8552

20 Firelapping Rounds:
View attachment 8551

30 Firelapping Rounds:
View attachment 8547

40 Firelapping Rounds(1 of 2):
View attachment 8549

40 Firelapping Rounds (2 of 2): (Yes there are 4 rounds here, I think the center hole is a double)
View attachment 8548

50 Firelapping Rounds: (Bottom is a triple, one flyer)
View attachment 8550

So what do you all think? [wink]

Last edited:
Bump for the move to a different forum.... Was in the "green" members only section but Mark thought it would be good to share with everyone who might be interested.....[wink]

Last edited:
Mark/Bob,

The groups that you show (getting tighter and tighter with each firelapping shot)... were those fire lapping rounds fired? Or, were they normal rounds fired between fire lapping groups?

Hi Duke,
Normal groups of full load rounds shot between firelap strings... The firelap takes out small constrictions (usually where the barrel is attached to the receiver and where the sight is attached) and polishes out any chatter or other minor roughness.... Two things should result from this action..... Your groups should shrink and your velocity for a specific load should increase (less friction).... The group size (shot with standard full loads) is the most reliable indicator and is used to tell when to stop firelapping.... This helps us determine when is enough and not to go any further since we don't want to remove any more than we need to....

Mark/Bob,

The groups that you show (getting tighter and tighter with each firelapping shot)... were those fire lapping rounds fired? Or, were they normal rounds fired between fire lapping groups?

Mark/Bob,

Those were regular rounds fired after the firelapping rounds and cleaned with a boresnake to take out any residue that's left over. Post 18 shows results that are similar to what you want to do, and I should say that the point of impact changes only because I was sighting in the scope simultaneously so the only important thing is the actual grouping size

Those were regular rounds fired after the firelapping rounds and cleaned with a boresnake to take out any residue that's left over. Post 18 shows results that are similar to what you want to do, and I should say that the point of impact changes only because I was sighting in the scope simultaneously so the only important thing is the actual grouping size

What is the round count on the tube? What ammo are you using? I think your sample size is a little small. 10 rounds per group will give a much better indication of the precision that the rifle is capable of. Either way the results are good. You did not happen to measure you chamber before and after?

No problem..... Total rounds down the pipe for this gun are approximately 500 or so (all jacketed).... Ammo for the groups was the standard Federal 150 grain round (JHP IIRC).... Firelap ammo was custom loaded as previously described.... Did not measure the chamber but the bore slugged identical before and after firelapping.....

What is the round count on the tube? What ammo are you using? I think your sample size is a little small. 10 rounds per group will give a much better indication of the precision that the rifle is capable of. Either way the results are good. You did not happen to measure you chamber before and after?

Back
Top Bottom